Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cool product from RIO

1. Default Cool product from RIO

Not sure if any of you have used RIO's Shock Gum before but it is a really cool product. Especially a good product when fishing small tippets. It can be bought on tapered leaders but I prefer to use the spool of Shock Gum and just use a double surgeons knot. Could use an albright or nail knot as well....I have just found the double surgeon holds up and is the quickest/easiest for me to tie while on the water.
    Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Shock Gum

2. Default Re: Cool product from RIO

Very cool.
    There is also a technique for setting the hook with thin leaders/tippet called the slip set. You relax your line control hand and raise the rod letting the line slip through your control hand allowing the line weight to set the hook gently.
    I have a tendendcy to get a little over excited sometimes and forget to relax thus snapping the tippet and losing the fly and the fish. This shock gum looks like it could solve the over reaction, over excited problem. Gotta try it. Thanks.

3. Default Re: Cool product from RIO

Hey yatahey. Like I said, I think it is best used for lightweight tippet. I am like you....I am a little too anxious sometimes and when I am using something like a 7x tippet that can lead to you breaking the fish off. With the shock gum I have yet to have that happen. Let me know what you think of it if you try it.