Alternative to Simms

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
In October 2014, I purchased a pair of Custom Simms G3 waders for $214.95. If I ordered the same waders today, it would be $564.95. That's a 33% inflation rate, which I just can't abide when national inflation has been below 2%. So while Simms makes a quality product, I'm going to look elsewhere for my next pair. I don't want a hunk of junk, but is it possible to find a quality wader that isn't over $500?

Part of my issue is that I'm 6'4", 220 lbs and have size 15 feet. So in a non-custom wader, I either have cramped feet or the waders are 3 sizes too large in the chest.

darkshadow

Reaction score
I have personally taken to Patagonia's waders. They're easier to find on Sale, and if you have bought from a certain retailer before who also gives you up to 30% off coupons on their already low prices, you can get a pair of Rio Gallegos for around $250, when the new version retails $499.

I won't be able to measure performance since my previous pair of waders were the lower end Simms, which used Toray material, instead of actual Gore-Tex, and the Rio Gallegos are obviously made a lot better than the lower end Simms.

But so far, no complaints. They are convertible, so when walking from point A to point B where you tend up to build up body heat, you can convert them into pants. They have knee pads, which definitely help when you're crawling, or you end up on your knees after tripping or landing a fish. And they are very breathable as well, and have hiked 5+ miles without having any type of issue.

You'll see previous years models on sale once in a while, and they're a great grab as an alternative.

steveid

Reaction score
Did you buy your Simms on sale? 2017 version G3's were recently on sale. Somewhere close to $300, IIRC. Just checking to make sure the math isn't skewed. I wasn't fishing in 2014, so I'm unaware what full retail was on Simms waders back then.

yikes

Reaction score
I have a friend with size 14 feet, but he's relatively slender. Same issue - - Simms is the only manufacturer that will create a pair of waders that will fit unique proportions.

triggw

Reaction score
In October 2014, I purchased a pair of Custom Simms G3 waders for $214.95. If I ordered the same waders today, it would be $564.95. That's a 33% inflation rate, which I just can't abide when national inflation has been below 2%. ...
I bought my G3 Guides in 2013. The list price with no custom shop was $450 IIRC. If you bought them customized for $215, you got a hell of a deal. Yes, they're expensive, but the price hasn't doubled in 3 years.

They're doing great, and I love 'em BTW.

rando

Reaction score
I used to be biased towards LL bean simply because of their warranty, but their 100% satisfaction guarantee is no more, so I will need to look for a new brand for myself as well.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Part of my issue is that I'm 6'4", 220 lbs and have size 15 feet. So in a non-custom wader, I either have cramped feet or the waders are 3 sizes too large in the chest.
That changes things I know, we could share waders. I spent most of my adult life at 6'5" 225 pounds, now thanks to gravity the measuring stick says I'm not barely 6'4" and for whatever reason the scale says 228.

The feet, oh yeah those, size 14 and widetracks at that so a 15 feels really good.

Those dimensions rule out most other waders. Back in the previous century I used LL Bean Wicked Tough Waders, they sold for about 385.00 back in the 90's but my last pair went from 1999 until 2008 here in AK. It was the feet that gave out, the waders were still good to go. They were available in custom sizing also that's why I had them.

Currently I alternate between a pair of G3 L Tall with the giant feet and G 4's in XL Tall with giant feet also. I like the XL Tall better because of all the wiggle room they provide. The G3 are 6 years old (because they replaced my originals bought in 2008) and the G4 are 5 I think.

I tried a pair of LL Bean back in 2008 also, they were nice but the feet leaked first day out. I think they were also too small in the feet and that contributed to the leaking there. I'd love it if there were a high quality wader that could be custom fit for height and foot size that sold for 199.99 but I don't know of any so I'll probably add another Simms to my wardrobe this spring.

bonefish41

Reaction score
To me the choice is obvious...inexpensive with big feet...foot comfort is primary...turn the oversize chest into a pleated shirt/kilt not with a wimpy elastic belt but with a nylon 2in belt...think sale under 100 no **** zipper and buy three and throw away if repair is big rip...I'll let you know if my recommendation stands...goin spring steel in Michigan with $65 Sale Sierra TP boot footed frog toggs but with Patgonia pants back up also on sale ...I hate putting boots on because I ain't 175 any more

flav

Reaction score
Even in 2014 a pair of G3's for only $215 was a steal, especially with custom booties.

I've been buying simms gore-tex waders for a long time. Seems like every time I need a new pair, every 2-3 years, the price has gone up $50 or so although their lower end waders that use other waterproofing still stay lower priced. I'm willing to pay it, though, I tried several other companies for a few years and nothing fit as well, was as durable, or breathes as well as simms gore-tex.

stanzoo

Reaction score
Redington HDZ waders all the way for me now.

I found the new Simms too heavy and stiff. Almost cook in those things at times!

The Redington HDZ are made of something VERY durable indeed.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
There are many more affordable waders available but when it comes to the size of the booties that's the rub. I've read many a post over the years eschewing Simms waders due to cost and also some claiming they didn't last for even a year. I have taken full advantage of the Simms service department and send mine back every winter for checkup and any needed repairs. I fully expect them to do more seasons here.

triggw

Reaction score
There are many more affordable waders available but when it comes to the size of the booties that's the rub. ...
Yep, that's it. I'm an honest Large, but with size 12 feet. Simms offers that as a standard option on the G3s, and almost no-one else does. So I have G3s and also a pair of G3 pants. I treat them well.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I was at the local fly shop yesterday sort of saying the same thing about Simms. I told the clerk my experience with Simms and I believe you are now paying for the name. The clerk said he owns a pair of the Redington Sonic Pro's and he is sold on them.

I myself have the Caddis Guide Tough waders. They are breathable, but thicker material than the waders I had in the past. I am very happy with them.

I'm believing that there are products out there today that are absolutely wonderful high quality gear that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for, plus a kidney, lung, or a pint of blood for a deposit.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I am actually surprised a few brands don't stock this size. It can't be that rare. I fish with about five guys. Two of them have about size 14 feet and are about 6-5 220-230LB. At the least have the booties on hand and sew them on for a price. That's probably complicated if the waders are not US made.

el jefe

Reaction score
Man, OP, you got a great deal!! I ponied up for some new G3 waders the same year, and I think they were $399, or $449, don't remember for sure. I'm 6'5"+ (formerly 6'6", but who's counting?), with a size 14 shoe. I wear a stock XL in the G3. They fit my foot fine, but those waders do make my butt look big.

flytie09

Reaction score
Dan Bailey and Orvis get good marks in wader shootouts. Patagonia and higher end Redingtons get equal marks. My Simms Headwaters are driving me nuts right now with a PITA leak somewhere. Dang briars!

These are the waders I've owned in the past 10 years:

- Hodgman
- LL Bean
- Simms
- Albright
- Cloudveil
- Cabelas neoprene
- Canadian Tire

And you know what....they all eventually leak. Maybe I'm just too tough on them....dang it man!

ft09

steveid

Reaction score
Also a tall guy here, and I wear the G3 in XL Long. Totally happy with them, just wish the boogie was a bit bigger. Next time I’ll have them do a custom bootie. The new Orvis Ultralights look great as well. Might give those a closer look for hiking in during summer months with waders in my pack.

I do wish Redington made the XL in long length.