Amadou Fly Drying Patch

dipaoro

Reaction score
I am new to fly fishing and want to have the right equipment.

Do I need one of these Amadou Fly Drying Patch?

Thanks!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Depends on the style of fishing you plan to do. The Amadou patch is a great tool to have to dry your dry flies off before re-applying a drying agent for continued fishing.
If you primarily nymph or throw streamers then you wouldn't use or have a need for the patch.
I dry fly fish, I nymph and I throw streamers in the spring and fall, so I have one and love it.
They are pretty speedy, you might try a small towel or chamois as an alternative. There also is a technique using a rubber band that works pretty well:

YouTube

silver creek

Reaction score
I am new to fly fishing and want to have the right equipment.

Do I need one of these Amadou Fly Drying Patch?
I buy a synthetic chamois. Cut it into 4x4 inch squares. After the rubber band trick, squeeze the fly in the chamois to absorb the remainder of the water. Then drop the fly in desiccant crystals (silica gel) to suck the rest of the water out of the fly and re-apply floatant.

The reason I use the synthetic chamois is that eventually, the chamois will also absorb the floatant on the fly. The silicone gel type of floatant is designed to REPEL water and the floatant will reduce the ability of the chamois to absorb water. Amadou is expensive and I suspect that over many years, the absorbed floatant will also reduce the effectiveness of the amadou. With synthetic chamois, I just get a new piece ever few years.

You can make your own amadou patch.

Becks and Brown Trout: Making Amadou , Fomes fomentarius or the Horses Hoof Fungus

http://capnfishy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Amadou.pdf

How to Make Amadou Mushroom Felt – reishi and roses botanicals

Note that the instructions state, "The Trimmed up amadou layers need to be soaked in a washing soda solution." Washing soda = sodium carbonate Na2CO3, is also known as soda ash and soda crystals.

flav

Reaction score
If my dry fly gets soaked and doesn't float anymore after a few fish I used to dry it off by rolling it in a fold of my shirt and squeezing. That only works well with cotton clothes, though. These days I do like silvercreek (I'm guessing i got the idea from him) and use a square I cut from a piece of one those synthetic water absorbing towels you can buy at the dollar store, basically a knockoff sham-wow. It's bright orange, but it totally sucks the moisure right out of my flies.