Scott G Series 883??

fattire

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Scott G Series 883 anyone fishing one?

I read the few online reviews but hoping for your input. Have a Redington Rise 3/4 I am going to use and some Rio Gold 3 WT line.

Many thanks,

dharkin

Reaction score
Hey Fattire,

Post this in the fly rod forum, you might have better luck and more views. Good luck

omas

Reaction score
I am sure you have probably read it, but Telluride Anglers did a review of each of the rods sizes in the GS series.
Ditto on what dharkin's suggestion.

fattire

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Scott G Series 883 anyone fishing one?

I read the few online reviews but hoping for your input. Have a Redington Rise 3/4 I am going to use and some Rio Gold 3 WT line.

Many thanks,

scotty macfly

Reaction score
This is a no brainer. Do it!!!!!

It's one of the most ( IMHO ) if not the best faster medium action rods out there for a 3wt. When I got to play with them last year I knew exactly where I'd take that rod and just have the time of my life.

The smooth casting and accuracy it has for short to medium length casts, meaning from 15 to 35 feet, is fantastic. Better in breezy conditions than the G2 was, but really, what 3wt rod does well in the wind? Not many I have come across.

Three weights are fun rods no matter what, but this rod is serious fun. You will love it with dry flies, light nymphs, even some wet flies.

Trust me, you won't regret it.

What mean by a faster medium fast action is because the new G's are a little faster than the G2's.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I sold my original G after using the GS rod for a few trips out. I loved my G, happily I recieved a good price for it.

guidegun

Reaction score
I also sold original G to upgrade to GS. While I haven't had the chance to fish the GS yet, in my limited lawn casting I can say I don't regret the move one bit.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Just fished the rod again this past Monday on a small tailwater with a Mastery Trout WF3,
simply wonderful. Handled quite a few nice sized trouts.

huntschool

Reaction score
OK.... I have a bucket load of original G's and a few G2's....

Tell me the difference/improvement over at least the G2's for this new GS series rod..... I am in the market..... for a 4 wt 8' something.....

boisker

Reaction score
I can cast accurately and controlled to 60’ easily with my 8’4” 4w... so I imagine the 8’8” 3w would match that....
I can cast it further than 60’ but about 60’ is comfortable...
40’ is bang in the zone

Edit... just thought I’d add.... although 60’ is perfectly fine, this isn’t the rod I would pick up to routinely fish those distances, i’d be using my Scott radian for those...

Last edited:

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I haven't used it during dry fly season yet as I purchased it this fall, mostly Spiders and zebra midges. But it is like quite like my original 8'8" 3wt G and handled medium sized dries with a small dripper like a brassie fine, handles the wind very well too. As to 60 foot casts, achievable, but I don't really do that all that much on the waters I fish.

quattro

Reaction score
I love mine. regularly fish hopper dropper set ups and 40-60 as stated is no problem.
It' replaced my old favorite a sage SLT 3 wt as my go to for small water. Fantastic in close and will handle larger 16-18" fish without trouble.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
I love mine. regularly fish hopper dropper set ups and 40-60 as stated is no problem.
It' replaced my old favorite a sage SLT 3 wt as my go to for small water. Fantastic in close and will handle larger 16-18" fish without trouble.
Which line and reel are you fishing on it may I ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quattro

Reaction score
good choice. I ordered from the guys at Telluride as well. Rio was actually my first choice for line but they were out so went with the SA as a substitute. I'm stuck on the hatch reels - have them in sizes 1-11. Galvan is a nice reel and a great match. You'll love the Scott.