Search method recommendation

scoutm

Reaction score
As long as I've been on this site the search function has been a source of frustration. In dealing with that I came up with a method that works so much better than the embedded search function. The benefit to do this method significantly improve the ability to search on a combination of say terms such as both Manufacturer and model. For example if you wanted to search on Sage RPL+ you get all the threads with sage in them. Clearly not very useful.

What I've found is if I go into Google and enter Sage RPL+ and add Theflyfishingforum I get all the threads that specifically discuss Sage RPL+ rods. Further if you click the more results button you get a brief summary of some of the content along with how old it is (see below)

I'm finding this to be a much more targeted search method so I wanted to pass it on.

search function.jpg

jwbowen

Reaction score
Maybe its just the "Asquith" topic I have been been surfing for but the above method
doesn't seem as targeted as it was in years past when using "theflyfishingform" addendum.

trev

Reaction score
Part of that is to include "site" and then ":" then the website's name including the ".com" or ".org" ect, and it will work with any site and with any search engine.

Query words site:anysitename.xxx

It's not limited to this site nor is it necessary to use google.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The new free dating app, join in!)
Hey guys, I spam banned this person Thursday morning. I requested that all posts be deleted along with the registration but apparently there are a few posts left.

Get this, this is the weird part; although this was post number 8 on this thread, if I try to delete it the software warns me that "This is the first post on the thread and deleting it will remove the entire thread".

I gave it a try and sure enough the whole thread disappears.

Larry had a double post on the thread and I was able to remove his post without issue but when I try to remove the dating site spam I get the result stated.

All very strange to me and a first for sure.

Last edited:

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Back on track;
Rather than type the subject and the NAFFF (or any website) address I type the subject and the word 'forum' into Google. This then brings up a list of posts relevant to the subject on all forums. E.g.:
Asquith rod forum
In this case the NAFFF is top of the list and one can click on 'More results from www.theflyfishingforum.com' to open up the full list.
It will also show hits on our sister sites, the Salmon FF and the UKFFF so if there's cross-over between the States/Canada and Europe/UK on a maker/rod/fly/etc you'll get more sources and with another 'More results ....' option if there are multiple references on, say, the SFF.

It's no big deal, I know, but it's quicker/easier to type just 'forum' and you'll probably see more results.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Speaking of search methods , does anyone ever use the search function here on the site ? Lately I have noticed an uptick in new posts asking questions that have been covered in many different posts but the people just dont get it or are too lazy to do a search ? Maybe it's the look see me mentality ? Who knows . I for one am really tired of it so I just move on as letting them know about it will certainly get me talked to by someone . Anyway , my rant is over . Happy holidays .

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I spam banned this person Thursday morning. I requested that all posts be deleted along with the registration but apparently there are a few posts left.

Get this, this is the weird part; although this was post number 8 on this thread, if I try to delete it the software warns me that "This is the first post on the thread and deleting it will remove the entire thread".

I gave it a try and sure enough the whole thread disappears.

Larry had a double post on the thread and I was able to remove his post without issue but when I try to remove the dating site spam I get the result stated.

All very strange to me and a first for sure.
Ard, I used to mod on a busy fantasy sports forum and it was the same there - delete the first post and you delete the lot!
What I would do is start a new thread with a related topic (presuming there are legitimate posts after the first), then move the valid posts there - and then delete the 'offending' opening post. A bit of a faff but it kept everyone happy bar the spammer.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Perhaps I could find a woman that has a bass and drift boat and is a good oarswoman, a good cook and has a lot of money so I can travel and she can guard my stuff when I'm out of town.