Waders Poll

When wading in coldwater situations I prefer...

• Neoprene Chest Waders

Votes: 64 25.4%
  • Breathable Chest Waders

Votes: 145 57.5%
  • Neoprene Pants Waders

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Breathable Pants Waders

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Neoprene Hip Waders

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Breathable Hip Waders

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Wet Wading with Wading Boot

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Wet Wading with Wading Sandal

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Other - Please post an explanation

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
I'm just curious about what everyones preferences is when comes to wading in coldwater situations. I thought I would ask a friendly little poll to see what everyone uses. Here are your opitons: When wading in coldwater situations I prefer...

A) Neoprene Chest Waders
B) Breathable Chest Waders
C) Neoprene Pants Waders
D) Breathable Pants Waders
E) Neoprene Hip Waders
F) Breathable Hip Waders
G) Wet Wading with Wading Boot
H) Wet Wading with Wading Sandal
I) Other (Please give description)

Now, I know this depends on a number of things such as weather, season, etc. but if you had to choose your favorite which one would it be. If you would like to give any particular details such as Brand & model name please feel free.
Thanks,
Terry

BigCliff

Reaction score
B. Breathable chest. I got a great deal on the Simms Guide model waders when I was still in the business and am probably spoiled for life now. They fit really well, have never leaked, and are tougher than chinese algebra.

They can easily be rolled down to be pants waders. I would rather have them and be able to wear them full heigth when need be than not have that option. I still need to get some hip waders from Steve and will before too long. I'm not concerned about them being breathable, since my legs don't produce near as much heat as does my torso. I also figure that the lower half of the leg of any wader is not going to be very breathable, so why pay 2-3x the price for breathable leggings?

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a pair of Orvis High Back Breathable waders for the deeper water and a pair of Orvis Hippers (Thanks Steve) for when I am in my pontoon. If it is cold I layer my clothes. Neopreen is something I will never return to.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
G) Wet Wading with Wading Boot

and sometimes

This is a tough one to answer by choosing just one.

Ya'll already know how I feel about this topic...

It really depends upon several factors such as the temperature of the outdoors, the water, how deep you'll be wading, your tolerance to cold, etc...

I rarely ever use waders. I wet wade whenever I can… and that is most of the time. I fish a lot of small mountain streams June-August in Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, etc... The outdoor temp, during the day, is usually not too low. So, I will wade in shorts and boots. The cool stream water feels great to me... and we're talking about some cold water coming off of the mountains. Its a little cold at first but your legs acclimate to it in just a few brief minutes. The only real reason you need waders is if the outdoor temp is low, so that when you get out of the water you don't freeze your buns off. So, in the winter, I will certainly use a high quality breathable wader.

Now... the water depth has a little to do with it also. I can wet wade in cold water calf deep all day long... but the same temp in thigh deep water may be too much to bare over the long haul.

Overall, waders are just a big bulky hassle that I'd rather live without. The ultimate decision is yours. I would recommend going wet at first. If you don't like it... invest in a pair of breathable waders. Be sure to go breathable. Neoprene waders are too heavy, too hot, and will make you sweat even in the dead of winter.

Now... I do recommend a good wading shoe for wet wading. For this type of application, I use a lightweight hiking/wading shoe with felt soles. Mine are the Chota Brookie II Hiking/Wading Boot. These are very lightweight and offer good ankle support. They have a hiking rubber sole with two patches of felt on each. These are the ideal wet wading shoes. Take a look at http://www.thefullcreel.com/files/index.php?id=168

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Another thought or two...

Terry, if you're fishing Beaver's Bend you will sometimes need waders. I wet wade in the fall and spring... but in December and January, I usually need waders. If you get'em... by all means go with a good breathable chest wader.

[IMG2="left"]http://www.thefullcreel.com/files/data/StearnsSealdri.jpg[/IMG2] There are several good waders out there at decent prices. Our best selling wader by far is the Stearns Sealdri Breathable Chest Wader. These represent one of the best values on the market when it comes to waders. As you know, Stearns has been in the marine/outdoor business for many years. They are known for their quality workmanship. Not many folks recognize them for their fly fishing gear however. But they make an excellent line of waders and wading boots that are as good as any.

The Sealdri waders are less than 100 dollars and are very very good. They have a 3-ply waterproof/breathable Sealdri fabric with polyester outershell. Adjustable web/elastic suspenders with quick release buckles. Reinforced knee pads. Zippered inside storage pocket. 3mm neoprene booties. Slip-on gravel guards and repair kit included.

I have sold dozens of these with no complaints or returns.

Trout Bum

Reaction score

I got a pair of the Stearns SealDry about two years ago. They're still working great. I also got the Stearns Leather-Duramesh wading boots to go with them. So for around a hundred and a half I got a complete high-quality wading set-up. I'm very pleased.

TB

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score

I have a pair of Orvis Clearwater Endura waders. I like them so far and have not had any problems with them. I prefer wet wading whenever possible.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Orvis makes great waders. I remember my first breathable wader was one of the Orvis guide series. They served me well for several years before springing a leak. Orvis really got the industries attention when they first started offering breathable waders at less than 100 dollars. I like their waders.

Tangle

Reaction score
I'm going with B, breathable chest waders as well. However, sometimes here in MI in winter, it's a little chilly and I break out the neos but that is one cold day for that to happen. They are not nearly as comfortable.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Steve set this up as an actual Poll so be sure to go in again and post your selection.
Thanks,
Terry

Curtis

Reaction score
I recently went to breathable pants. I don't need to be wading that deep anyway. I always seem to get myself in trouble over the waist area.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am hoping that they breathe better than your so called breathable waders do..

:stretcher

Curtis

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
I am hoping that they breathe better than your so called breathable waders do..

:stretcher
My waders have asthma! LOL!

Well, the second time the cold water decided to creep over the tops of those pant waders I went back to full length ones. Got some Orvis Silver Label 2's. Great waders.

JBinUTAH

Reaction score
B. Breatheable Chest Waders

I have the Cabela's Guide Tech Dry Plus and they have been great. In the summer I use less layers and roll them down. I would recommend them and would probably buy them again if I needed to. The waters I fish get snow runoff year round or are cold mountain spring fed, and the water is quite cold.

zerolimit

Reaction score
I voted wet wading with wading boots but it really depends on the situation. As long as my feet are warm, I really don't mind cold water on the legs and midsection. That applies only in good weather though. If it's also cold out, I want the chest waders. Hot days I'm miserable in my "breathable" chest waders no matter how cold the water. I might as well be wet wading because I'm sweating my butt off anyway.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious about what everyones preferences is when comes to wading in coldwater situations.

Hi Terry,

OK, I took you at your word. You said cold water and to me that is Alaska or winter Steelhead fishing. So for cold water I have got to say neoprene. For fishing during the summer in the west I like my Simms breathable Guide Pants. They work super for my pontoon boat.

At my age I have to limit my wading depth and the Guide pants suite me fine. They are really appreciated in the desert where the water is cold and the weather is hot.

jdgrubbjr

Reaction score
B) Breathable Chest Waders. I have the Simms Guide Stockingfoots which are now five years old. I layer with polypro and fleece in the cold weather months and stay comfortable. During the warm months I wet wade 90% of the time. If I'm fishing an area with heavy brush and copperheads, which are prevalent where I fish, I wear my waders as a precaution to help protect my ankles/legs. Once bitten, twice shy. :)

ezamora

Reaction score
now, i USUALLY fish with breathable chest high waders, often rolling them down to waist level height. the idea of waist high waders is nice but sometimes i just need chest high options. if there's a secondary poll going on here behind the scenes, i have a new pair of orvis pro guides... ;-) i also have some hip waders i like to use when i can. generally if the water's colder than 65, i'm a pansy.

but the question is which method is my favorite. well, that would have to be what i did today for the first time this season. wet wading boot. swim trunks with big side pockets, performance-style material short sleeved shirt, a small chest pack and full wading boots (with gravel guards). i used to use the simms wet wading sandals but now love the added ankle support of my new full boots (having just moved to stockingfoot from bootfoot waders this year). 68 degree water, freestone river, i can simply shed the pack, place the rod on the bank and go for a swim in a deep pool. ahhhhh. clothes are dry within minutes. and when nature calls, so much easier without waders.

eric
fresno, ca.

Reaction score
I like neo chest when its below 50, Ive become a bit of a sissy since I migrated south of the Mason Dixon,