Rod tip broken and lost belt

jkim

Reaction score
I just got back from my fishing trip to Hot Creek, near Mammoth Lakes. Fishing was pretty good but two bad things happened. Yesterday morning I got this big brown trout about 18" long and this fish was so strong that it pulled the drag and went under a big rock with the fly (blue wing olive #16) in the mouth so I got closer to the rock to get it into the net as reeling in but I didn't realize that the rod tip got in under the rock as well. I was so focused on getting the fish into the net that I had no idea the rod tip got stuck. I tried to pull the rod out of the rock as I got the brown into the net. That moment the rod tip broke. It's a 8.5' 4wt Orvis Recon. Hopefully Orvis can replace the broken tip section with a new one, even though it's my fault. Should I be concerned? Another thing that happened was that I found the belt of my waders (Simms G3) missing when washing them today. It must been slipped away from the belt loops while changing in the parking lot. Poor design to blame because it keeps slipping through the belt loops when it's not buckled. I am going to order a replacement belt from Simms though. Hope it doesn't cost much.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Orvis is one of the best when it comes to rod repairs and when you get a new wader belt....... get the neoprene belt they sell. The neoprene belt will not fall through the loops on G3 or 4 waders, I have one and like it for exactly that reason.

JoJer

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to address this same problem with my new Orvis waders; the wading staff and holster pulls the belt thru the loops when donning and doffing. I'm just getting used to carrying my net stuck in the belt behind my back with the retractor attached to the back belt loop. I've been thinking about a holster for the net handle back there. Perhaps that could help keep the belt in place too.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the width of the Orvis belt loops the Simms neoprene belt may work for you too. They are more substantial than the woven belts that come with the waders, they are thicker a bit stiffer and being neoprene they are not as slippery as the nylon belts.

Once you have a wading staff, bear spray, net or etc. loaded on the belts they will all want to slip out and fall down I think.

el jefe

Reaction score
Check out the Fishpond Rio Grande wader belt. It is wide like the Simms neoprene, and has attachment points for things like net retractors, bear spray, wading staff, etc.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am now carrying a Simms wading staff on a regular basis...my legs ain't what they once were. When getting out of my waders (I need new ones), I remove the neoprene holster and clip the fastex belt buckle behind me so it hangs on the belt loop precluding loss. Sticking rod tip under rocks I have no advice on except...don't.

mka

Reaction score
Like the guys said above, you'll like the Orvis service when getting your rod repaired...they're the best for warranty and service.

And I second El Jefe's Fishpond belt recommendation...they are nice, indeed. That belt kept my waders from filling up with water when I took a dunk last week. And, they're great support for your back during long days on the water.

stanbiker

Reaction score
I also like the Fishpond belt. It is nice to keep my wading staff and bear spray always attached and ready. I like the d-rings to attach my net tether and wading staff tether so I don't worry about losing them if they drop them. I have one of the Smith net holsters, but I don't use it that often. It might be better with a smaller catch and release net, but my net is fairly large and flops to the side when walking.

play fair

Reaction score
I too, fought the wader belt issue. I tie a small piece of cordage over, around and through both the belt and one belt loop. I too use the neoprene style. If you tie it with just enough tension, the belt will flex and you can slide it around your waist..... and with just enough tension ..... it stays in place. Simple, cheap, easy to remove.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Not too far off topic but my current strap vest, an Umpqua, has a built in lumbar support belt causing me to retire the Fishpond one which I also like. I have mounted a mini-multi-purpose tool and a water bottle holster on the vest's substantial belt which functions to preclude the vest from drooping forward and takes the weight load off my shoulders. A good design all around. Oh, and it being attached can not be misplaced.

jkim

Reaction score
I am now carrying a Simms wading staff on a regular basis...my legs ain't what they once were. When getting out of my waders (I need new ones), I remove the neoprene holster and clip the fastex belt buckle behind me so it hangs on the belt loop precluding loss. Sticking rod tip under rocks I have no advice on except...don't.
Oh, sweet and salt... I didn't even know what a wading staff was. Now I know what it is. I don't need one yet... but may use one in a few years or so. Aging sucks but can't stop the clock. As for sticking rod tip under rocks... I wish I had a longer net or something like a net with telescopic handle so that I could get the fish into the net without having to get so close to the fish... the distance between the rod tip and the fish was like 10 inches. And when your mind got so fixated on netting the fish you might not realize the rod tip got stuck under the rock.

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I appreciate the comments on the Fishpond belt...I've been thinking of getting one and now I think I will. I've been looking for a solution to carrying my wading staff and my water bottle. I have one of those water bottle holsters from Fishpond. Pretty good, but I wish it had a drain hole on the bottom.

To the OP, I will just add another voice to the praise of Orvis with rod repairs. I've broken 2 tips on Orvis rods and their customer service was great.
And, btw, wading staffs aren't only for old people (although I do use mine more and more as I age). They are a key piece of safety equipment when wading deep and/or fast and/or slippery and/or off colored rivers. I've used mine in lakes, too, when I'm getting a bit deep and can't see the bottom. I use it to probe the depth in front of me.

jkim

Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I appreciate the comments on the Fishpond belt...I've been thinking of getting one and now I think I will. I've been looking for a solution to carrying my wading staff and my water bottle. I have one of those water bottle holsters from Fishpond. Pretty good, but I wish it had a drain hole on the bottom.

To the OP, I will just add another voice to the praise of Orvis with rod repairs. I've broken 2 tips on Orvis rods and their customer service was great.
And, btw, wading staffs aren't only for old people (although I do use mine more and more as I age). They are a key piece of safety equipment when wading deep and/or fast and/or slippery and/or off colored rivers. I've used mine in lakes, too, when I'm getting a bit deep and can't see the bottom. I use it to probe the depth in front of me.
Thank you, sjkirkpa. It does sound like an important safety equipment. I'm still learning new things about fly fishing.

dennyk

Reaction score
I think I will get the Fishpond wading belt. Good sturdy design and easy to use just by looking at it in the fly shop.

Double AMEN for the Simms wading staff, I do walk with a cane and in wading the water I'd be soaked all the time without it. Best investment I ever made.

Denny

fq13

Reaction score
I like just the old classic boy scout type belts for waders. They snug up nicely, adjust to whatever you wear underneath it you're duck hunting and cost about twelve bucks at Wally world.

jkim

Reaction score
Orvis is taking good care of my broken rod tip... I can't be happier. As for the belt I bought the Simms neoprene belt at the local fly fishing store. The same retailer that I bought the G3 waders. The neoprene belts looks really good and it's Simms. Hopefully I look better in the waders with this new belt on. Thank you guys for all the comments and suggestions.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If your waders have a belt loop make a positive attachment to the belt form that loop, This is what I did with Ruth's Orvis waders and her belt is always there. After a long hard day of hiking and fishing some things are bound to get left/lost. I like to let my brain coast as much as possible after a long hard day so anything you can do to make that a better time is a bonus. One item I have really learned about...always screw your rod case top back on to the case after you remove your rod.

Picture of the Brown?

jkim

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have any photo of the big brown that I pulled out of the rock because I quickly released it to examine the rod tip. Nonetheless I am posting some photos from this trip. This was my very first solo fishing trip, except for fishing local ponds. I always went fishing trip with my son (the Sierras, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado) but early this year he moved to Pensacola, FL for pilot training at the naval air station. This time it was all myself so I had hard time taking photos with my oversized phone. And don't worry guys those fish were taken out of the water briefly for photo purpose and got released back into the water safely and they happily swam away.

Attachments

Last edited:

PASTERCASTER

Reaction score
If you don't mind a reply from an old hack, how much of the tip broke off? A few spare tips & glue could keep you in the game. A big hog fish in HIS hole, combined with a light rod & tippet would require more patience than muscle, IMO. AS for the wader belt issue, DRINK MORE BEER. Tight waders & a big belly can make for a self seal. Never had to cut myself out of waders, but my Gerber trout & bird knife was always around my neck.