A day trek

corn fed fins

Reaction score
After being denied to an early opening of a drive in section of river, I decided to leave the park and fish to the less agile and stretch my legs on my favorite walk in access. Thought some of you might enjoy a picture story so here goes.
39634791920_d2eb6d0165_n.jpg
Had to throw this one in. The trail has a name but I've referred to it for years as the Fluffy Bunny Trail just to rub it in to the huffers and puffers. LOL. It's an easy hike, roughly 1 mile to the river. A few switchbacks but easy! I also stay in shape for elk hunting so some may find it a challenge on the way out. It's just a mile!

The REAL funny thing was about half way down I see this white thing along the trail. Out of the blue here is this egg all dressed up like a bunny! I swear on my honor we did not stage this. Someone else placed this egg along the trail and we just happened to see it. 100% surreal. So my nickname "Fluffy Bunny Trail" must be shared by someone else. Peter Cottontail? Testament to how easy the trail is though. lol

Just a shot of the river from the up and over. Nice place to look at the fish. It's amazing how easily they see you and head out. Even from this elevation they take off at your slightest movement.

I call this the swimming hole. Twenty or so years ago my buddy and I use to swim here. The summer days get REAL hot down there. So you get in the cold arse water until you can't take it then sprawl out on the hot black rocks and bake yourself dry in a few minutes. Still a bit too nipple for a swim here. Won't be long!

Swallows have yet to return. When they do it's hard to cast a dry. Between them and the bats I spend some time unhooking a few winged friends in the summer. The trick is to get them banked before they drown. :(

One of my favorite Pteronarcys holes in this stretch. I've talked about this hole here before.

The cherry on a sundae. I could care less if I catch fish but it would require work not to. :D

If you know the spot....... keep it secret, keep it safe. LOL

Larry, if you all make it back this way this summer, give me a shout!

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To cool, great effort, thanks for the report and shots!. Envy.

I know this spot well...the very first time I fished this I fished it the third week of may..the big bugs weren't bustig yet but I tied on a halfback and another and another. I was fishing with a 9' bamboo rod of my grandpas because it was in the case I brought (not on purpose)...I kid you not, I had to take breaks because my arm was so tired. We used to play a game of seeing how many casts, if any, you could do without a fish.

...I call it the good ol days but can you imagine before the dams went in? Been going back ever since, that was in 1986.

Thanks again!

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Looks great man, I keep forgetting that Colorado is only a 12 hour drive from here. Easy drive and fish for 3 days head back.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
It looks like a wonderful area to fish and hike. I also like it when the local wildlife, like that cute white bunny, will sit and pose for a photo, ha ha. :D

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Good stories and great pics. Love the Bunny..... I am hoping to head in the AM with my son... hopefully we can find some water that is not to blown out.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Trent

Thanks for sharing that awesome trip with those gorgeous photos!
I'm afraid I'm in the huffer puffer crowd, I'm doing 7-8 mile walks at 7,000 ft altitude, trying to get my legs and lungs in shape for Slough Creek, but going uphill really does me in.

flav

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice day in a beautiful canyon. Your photos remind me of a very similar place I like to hike into. Canyons like that a special places.

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Quality stuff there. Be careful of those bunnies. They look cute, but can be extremely dangerous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was without my holy hand grenade.lol

Thanks guys. Hope you all have some special place that is near to your heart. Doesn't have to be remote, unknown, or awesome fishing. Just a place that brings back good memories and a place to form new ones. This canyon will be the dumping spot for my ashes.....despite what the government says. Lol.

And Larry, you can take your time. It's only a race up when the bragging starts. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

AzTrouter

Reaction score
This is my favorite kind of fishing, seeking out these, local, out of the way places we call 'tweeners' :- )

Map recon at home, slow cruising the USFS roads with the GPS on the dash of the Jeep and a marked up map on a clip board, bushwacking in and out of canyons on an elk trail if we're lucky. Looking for that sweet section of water away from the campgrounds and 'trail head' access haha

I was in Search and Rescue for a lot of years in WY and we used to say that 80% of the people use 20% of the forest. I think it holds pretty true, we would find lost and over due folks a mile from a campground. Get away from the common entry points and you'll likely have things to yourself. We're in AZ now, in between the Moggion Rim and White Mountains only a few short hours from the Phoenix area, on the holiday weekends they flock up here, right to the campgrounds that take on the appearance of a refugee camp for the rich and famous :- )

.....yet there's no lack of quality fishing water for the locals.