More carp than you could shake a stick (rod) at.

AxisMike

Reaction score
Yesterday I came across a carp bed with over a dozen large carp and several others moving in and out. The spot (close to the trees in the picture) was only a few feet deep with sand. A vast majority of the river bottom is rock. The winds were 10 - 15 mph and the temperature was 70 degrees F.

I have read that carp spook very easily. These guys didn't. Even with a few bad cast (on top of them) they sat tight. I spent probably over an hour casting to them. On several cast, I had extremely large carp coming in within 10-12 feet of me. I was wading while casting. On several cast, several would swim towards where the fly hit the water. Also, the line didn't scare them a bit. All I had was some typically bass patterns. They would follow the Wholly Bugger but no strikes. I tossed a few other flies but I was thinking they were to big.

I know for fact that this spot has seen no fishing activity in at least the past 15 years. The river runs through my friends ranch across the road from ours and he doesn't fish. I'm still wondering why they seemed to be "spook less". Of course I took the normal precautions (moving slow) but still, it was incredible to see all these large carp follow and swim around my presentations.

Okay, with the being said, what carp flies do I need to purchase?

acorad

Reaction score
Odd behavior for sure, sounds like they were in spawning mode. Although spawning is mostly over here in SoCal, not sure about TX.

Andy

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
These carp are most likely spawning or pre spawn.They spawn in the spring and will not eat when spawning.
They like Sculpin patterns,crayfish,soft hackles,nymphs,worm patterns.Cast the flies into their projected path and let them find it.Casting at them most of the time will spook them.

dennyk

Reaction score
To add a pattern to Steve's post I like the pale colored single egg patterns. When the fly hits the water, I like a slow decent.

Denny

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Excellent! The cards are definitely in your favor!

Try to match the hatch of that particular stream in terms of size, but exact imitation isn't necessary. The best way to catch carp is to find them when they are actively feeding, stirring up clouds of mud or dust. Here in KY this time of year, that's mid afternoon. Your mileage may vary. Could be first light. But it's usually when they are nice and warm. Contrary to popular belief, carp don't feed all day long. You can entice them to eat, but it's much easier to get them to bite if you go while they're feeding heavily.

Cast your fly so that it lands a foot or two ahead of them and past them, without lining the fish with your fly line, and strip it right in front of their face then let it drop. Often, they will surge forward and eat it, or more likely they will meander up eventually and slurp it up cautiously.

Keep us posted! That pool will be fun because it's big and shallow, and looks like no obstructions to lose them in. Have a reel with some backing ready, or be ready to chase them!

AxisMike

Reaction score
Excellent! The cards are definitely in your favor!

Try to match the hatch of that particular stream in terms of size, but exact imitation isn't necessary. The best way to catch carp is to find them when they are actively feeding, stirring up clouds of mud or dust. Here in KY this time of year, that's mid afternoon. Your mileage may vary. Could be first light. But it's usually when they are nice and warm. Contrary to popular belief, carp don't feed all day long. You can entice them to eat, but it's much easier to get them to bite if you go while they're feeding heavily.

Cast your fly so that it lands a foot or two ahead of them and past them, without lining the fish with your fly line, and strip it right in front of their face then let it drop. Often, they will surge forward and eat it, or more likely they will meander up eventually and slurp it up cautiously.

Keep us posted! That pool will be fun because it's big and shallow, and looks like no obstructions to lose them in. Have a reel with some backing ready, or be ready to chase them!

clouserguyky: Thanks for the tips!

AxisMike

Reaction score
These carp are most likely spawning or pre spawn.They spawn in the spring and will not eat when spawning.
They like Sculpin patterns,crayfish,soft hackles,nymphs,worm patterns.Cast the flies into their projected path and let them find it.Casting at them most of the time will spook them.
Steve: Thanks. Any idea how long they spawn for?

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Steve: Thanks. Any idea how long they spawn for?
From what i have read they typically spawn from 2wks to 2 months depending on the water temp,daylight and the amount of oxygen.
They will spawn when water temps reach between 64F and 73F but if the temp drops once they start they will continue spawning.
Not all carp spawn at the same time either and post spawn carp are very hungry.
If you see them swimming in the open water they are not spawning.They only spawn in the shallow water.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
To add a pattern to Steve's post I like the pale colored single egg patterns. When the fly hits the water, I like a slow decent.

Denny
That would be an excellent fly to use.Post spawn carp will eat the eggs if they get the chance so the egg fly might be your best fly to try once they are finished with the spawn.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
+1 on the egg patterns. Similarly, the much maligned mop fly works great, particularly in orange for me. Joe's Hybrid Carp Fly is awesome. Small buggers. I've also caught them on huge circus peanuts and clousers but small almost always works better.

flav

Reaction score
Sounds like spawners. The fish coming and going may be willing to eat, but in my experience those fish may be eating the carp eggs. The eggs are very small, olive, or light yellow colored, and stick to weeds and algae. The carp eating eggs will be moving slowly and look like they're eating algae or weeds off the rocks. I've hooked one of those egg eaters by dragging my fly into the weeds right in front of a feeding fish and it vacuumed it up, probably because it couldn't see my fly buried in the weeds. To avoid frustration I'd wait a week, and those fish will be hungry again, although they may be in totally different locations as well and you may need to search to find them.

mikechell

Reaction score
Oookay. I'm not going to disagree with the statements above, but I've caught plenty of carp that were spawning in Indiana. Different areas, different patterns.
As far as patterns, your wooley buggers would probably work, if you slow down and leave them set. Carp are not "chasers" so much as opportunists. If somethings in their path, they'll eat it. Cat the fly out there, let it settle. When one of the carp get close, barely nudge the fly.

AxisMike

Reaction score
Oookay. I'm not going to disagree with the statements above, but I've caught plenty of carp that were spawning in Indiana. Different areas, different patterns.
As far as patterns, your wooley buggers would probably work, if you slow down and leave them set. Carp are not "chasers" so much as opportunists. If somethings in their path, they'll eat it. Cat the fly out there, let it settle. When one of the carp get close, barely nudge the fly.
mikechell: Great advice, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

AxisMike

Reaction score
Sounds like spawners. The fish coming and going may be willing to eat, but in my experience those fish may be eating the carp eggs. The eggs are very small, olive, or light yellow colored, and stick to weeds and algae. The carp eating eggs will be moving slowly and look like they're eating algae or weeds off the rocks. I've hooked one of those egg eaters by dragging my fly into the weeds right in front of a feeding fish and it vacuumed it up, probably because it couldn't see my fly buried in the weeds. To avoid frustration I'd wait a week, and those fish will be hungry again, although they may be in totally different locations as well and you may need to search to find them.
flav: Thanks for the response. Make a great deal of sense.

acorad

Reaction score
Ya, I agree with the "spawners (or, 'spawners adjacent') do eat."

A couple years ago I hit LA's super-secret carp river with only a couple hours before my son's football game, I stood on one single rock and the stars aligned and I hooked 20+ and landed 14 "spawners" before I had to leave for the game.

My theory is that many carp are drawn to the activity surrounding a spawning female creating a large concentration of fish, but only a certain number of them can actually get in on the action, so the remainder in that concentration are more than happy to eat something instead.

Andy

Last edited: