Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: More carp than you could shake a stick (rod) at.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    To add a pattern to Steve's post I like the pale colored single egg patterns. When the fly hits the water, I like a slow decent.

Denny
    That would be an excellent fly to use.Post spawn carp will eat the eggs if they get the chance so the egg fly might be your best fly to try once they are finished with the spawn.
    -Steve

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."-Patrick f. McManus

2. Likes karstopo liked this post
  3. Default Re: More carp than you could shake a stick (rod) at.

+1 on the egg patterns. Similarly, the much maligned mop fly works great, particularly in orange for me. Joe's Hybrid Carp Fly is awesome. Small buggers. I've also caught them on huge circus peanuts and clousers but small almost always works better.

Sounds like spawners. The fish coming and going may be willing to eat, but in my experience those fish may be eating the carp eggs. The eggs are very small, olive, or light yellow colored, and stick to weeds and algae. The carp eating eggs will be moving slowly and look like they're eating algae or weeds off the rocks. I've hooked one of those egg eaters by dragging my fly into the weeds right in front of a feeding fish and it vacuumed it up, probably because it couldn't see my fly buried in the weeds. To avoid frustration I'd wait a week, and those fish will be hungry again, although they may be in totally different locations as well and you may need to search to find them.

Oookay. I'm not going to disagree with the statements above, but I've caught plenty of carp that were spawning in Indiana. Different areas, different patterns.
    As far as patterns, your wooley buggers would probably work, if you slow down and leave them set. Carp are not "chasers" so much as opportunists. If somethings in their path, they'll eat it. Cat the fly out there, let it settle. When one of the carp get close, barely nudge the fly.

6. Likes karstopo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    Oookay. I'm not going to disagree with the statements above, but I've caught plenty of carp that were spawning in Indiana. Different areas, different patterns.
    As far as patterns, your wooley buggers would probably work, if you slow down and leave them set. Carp are not "chasers" so much as opportunists. If somethings in their path, they'll eat it. Cat the fly out there, let it settle. When one of the carp get close, barely nudge the fly.
    mikechell: Great advice, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

8. Likes karstopo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    Sounds like spawners. The fish coming and going may be willing to eat, but in my experience those fish may be eating the carp eggs. The eggs are very small, olive, or light yellow colored, and stick to weeds and algae. The carp eating eggs will be moving slowly and look like they're eating algae or weeds off the rocks. I've hooked one of those egg eaters by dragging my fly into the weeds right in front of a feeding fish and it vacuumed it up, probably because it couldn't see my fly buried in the weeds. To avoid frustration I'd wait a week, and those fish will be hungry again, although they may be in totally different locations as well and you may need to search to find them.
    flav: Thanks for the response. Make a great deal of sense.

Ya, I agree with the "spawners (or, 'spawners adjacent') do eat."

A couple years ago I hit LA's super-secret carp river with only a couple hours before my son's football game, I stood on one single rock and the stars aligned and I hooked 20+ and landed 14 "spawners" before I had to leave for the game.

My theory is that many carp are drawn to the activity surrounding a spawning female creating a large concentration of fish, but only a certain number of them can actually get in on the action, so the remainder in that concentration are more than happy to eat something instead.

Andy
    Last edited by acorad; 04-16-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12