Getting the hang of this thing called Fly Fishing

AxisMike

Reaction score
Today I was out for the 6th time fly Fishing (Vail, Local golf course and the Pedernalis River-Central Texas). I have been lucky enough to have caught something each time out. Yes, I know that trend will be broken soon enough with a skunk day!

This afternoon I was exploring some new holes on the local river. I forced my self to ignore the many large carp constantly swimming bye to concentrate on the large mouth bass. A few days ago I must have cast over a hundred time at the carp to no avail. I need to figure this carp thing out soon.

The day was a success with several nice largemouths. With the help of the forum and getting out on the water, I'm beginning to make better decisions and choices with line set up and fly pattern selection. I love the double surgeon and Davy knots and can change flies much faster and easier while wading.

Man, I love this sport!

Last edited:

MickT

Reaction score
Nice fish. What did you fool it with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trs

Reaction score
Great fish!!, And on the finest color of the best fly ever!!!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

big_dog1996

Reaction score
Congratulations! Fly fishing is addictive for sure. The more I fly fish, the more I find myself spending. Rods, reels, lines, tying equipment, etc. But it’s worth it! I’m 6 years in and there’s no turning back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Nice Bass. I have a set of boxers that has that written on it. Gag gift. Anyhow, I've been fly fishing for almost 40 years and I'm still getting the hang of it. lol Keep up the catching!

Reaction score
Nice fish!

As for the carp thing, from my experience they are hard to catch when cruising (However, I met a guide recently whom specializes in carp- he says they can be caught while cruising... but I've never had luck) . Look for one that is actively rooting in the mud and kicking up a cloud. Drop a fly 2 feet in front and 1 foot past it, slowly strip or let it sit and hope for the best. Works for me every so often.

Cheers,

Scoots

AxisMike

Reaction score
Nice fish!

As for the carp thing, from my experience they are hard to catch when cruising (However, I met a guide recently whom specializes in carp- he says they can be caught while cruising... but I've never had luck) . Look for one that is actively rooting in the mud and kicking up a cloud. Drop a fly 2 feet in front and 1 foot past it, slowly strip or let it sit and hope for the best. Works for me every so often.

Cheers,

Scoots
Thanks Scoots. Yeah, I'm hoping to cast it in just the right place on one of those carp.