Hendrix Outdoors

Rifleman1776

Reaction score
What about Hendrix Outdoors equipment? He has nice looking stuff at very reasonable prices. I'm considering. Any experience?

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Until you mentioned it I'd never heard of them before. I can't seem to find much on the internet about them on their website except for a link to a rod/bow carrier for a pickup bed or ATV.

There are some inexpensive fly outfits for $99 that are branded "Hendrix Outdoors" sold by other websites so I'd guess they're importers-- rather than manufacturers...

What are you thinking of buying? If no one chimes in with experience with Hendrix Outdoors products, I'm sure folks could recommend alternatives in a comparable price range.

By the way, glad to see you haven't given up on fly fishing!

cattech89

Reaction score
By the way, glad to see you haven't given up on fly fishing!
Indeed! I was afraid youd left us!
I cant comment on the Hendrix outdoors products but if youre wanting to spend about $100 for an outfit you might take a look at Albright rods. There are several forum members who have raved about their products. They have some Topwater outfits for $100 plus their website claims that everything is 80% off.
Albright Fly Fish - Fly Fishing Gear, Fly Fishing Tackle | AlbrightFlyFish.com
Hope this helps
Theres my half-nickel.........:D

Rifleman1776

Reaction score
Thanks, the $99.00 outfit is what I'm considering. Saw them at the big convocation here in Mountain Home, Arkansas recently. Yep, still considering.
I'll check the others.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Well, I popped for a $299.00 outfit at Albrights on sale for $99.99. Guess I'm in. :)
Had shoulder surgery, can't 'talk' much now. Will report later.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a Hendrix reel from the 1890's... When I had it appraised the guy told me 10 bucks max

maybe not the same ;)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hendrix Outdoors is a family owned operation based out of Fallon, Nevada. It is an outdoors sporting goods supplier to retailer. Over the past few years, it started its own brand labeling in the fly fishing industry. It has its own line of fly rods, reels, accessories, waders, and fly tying materials.

Like many other smaller operations, most of its products are made overseas. The rods, reels, and waders are made in China. It helps keep costs down to minimum, so Hendrix can pass the savings to the retailers then ultimately to the consumers. Hendrix does not sell directly to consumers through internet. It uses a retail network.

Since you are already considering an Albright setup, I won't discuss about its rods and reels.

MP

mojo

Reaction score
Was last day for sale, had to act quick. Might be a good thing.
You'll find that the "sales" at Albright are just a gimmick. Whatever new rods or reels they come up with, they'll print out it's MSRP and what they're selling it for. Since you can only by Albright rods and reels from Albright, they'll tell you you're getting a $495.00 MSRP rod for $199 (made in C???a of course). Better get them while the getting's good. Read the fine print on the warranty too. All closeout sales are final.
Now if you go to the regular fly rods for sale, you'll find the MSRP's at $429 on sale for $189. All are that way.
Good luck with your new rod.

Rifleman1776

Reaction score
You'll find that the "sales" at Albright are just a gimmick. Whatever new rods or reels they come up with, they'll print out it's MSRP and what they're selling it for. Since you can only by Albright rods and reels from Albright, they'll tell you you're getting a $495.00 MSRP rod for $199 (made in C???a of course). Better get them while the getting's good. Read the fine print on the warranty too. All closeout sales are final.
Now if you go to the regular fly rods for sale, you'll find the MSRP's at $429 on sale for $189. All are that way.
We'll see.

oregonsteel

Reaction score
I have wondered about the legality of Albright having everything ALWAYS on sale, and NEVER at MSRP. I would think there would be a law about something shady like that.

Also, to reiterate what Mojo said, REALLY read the fine print on the warranty. Here, I will save you some time

Exact wording from website:

*** ***Any closeout products, as well as discontinued products, are not eligible for repair or replacement.

Rifleman1776

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. The choice to purchase was mine. I have been around a while and understand the risks of buying discount. Often discount is legitimately just that, discounted prices. e.g. what Wal-Mart sells is not 'seconds'.
As for laws telling free enterprise what they can do is something I strongly oppose and will not elaborate on because it could take this thread into never-never land.
I will say this, after visiting the huge flyfishers convocation held recently here in Mountain Home, Arkansas, I am convinced the ff industry is geared and priced for the upscale market. Never once did I get a clear answer on what the difference was between lower end and very expensive rods. What I got was generalities, like "it is better"; "nicer"; "you will like it". I'm here to tell you, I ain't gonna drop no big bucks on used car slogans like those.
After I have tried my $99.00 outfit I'll let you know what I think.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't push people toward high end rods nor do I tell them to buy the cheapest they can find. However I bought a 9'7wt rod almost 4 years ago now that was so good I picked up a second one just in case. The rods eventually sold out and were a discontinued item. They were made by an outfit that went by the name Quarrow. When I bought the first at $53.00 delivered I figured what the heck? After fishing the rod for salmon trout & char here in Alaska I ordered the second.

When all of this took place I owned a $374 Grey's Platinum X 9'6" in 7 wt. and a $460 Sage VT2 9' 7wt. I sold both of those rods and choose to use the Quarrow Drake Big Horn rod. These rods were not only as good but when used alongside the the expensive rods (in my opinion) were hands down better. So, I sold the other rods and kept the one that worked best. I spent 112 dollars including shipping for two so warranty really didn't matter. The workmanship is near perfect as it can be and the components are beautiful. This assessment is from a fellow who owns or has owned Fenwick, Scott, St. Croix, Orvis, Sage, Grey's, and..........I think you get the idea. The rods filled my needs and have caught more fish than I can ever quote here.

So, while not every bargain rod will prove to be such there are those that are extraordinary values out there. If money is no object then I say get what makes you happy. Sometimes money can't buy you love and I love those Quarrows.

mojo

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. The choice to purchase was mine. I have been around a while and understand the risks of buying discount. Often discount is legitimately just that, discounted prices. e.g. what Wal-Mart sells is not 'seconds'.
As for laws telling free enterprise what they can do is something I strongly oppose and will not elaborate on because it could take this thread into never-never land.
I will say this, after visiting the huge flyfishers convocation held recently here in Mountain Home, Arkansas, I am convinced the ff industry is geared and priced for the upscale market. Never once did I get a clear answer on what the difference was between lower end and very expensive rods. What I got was generalities, like "it is better"; "nicer"; "you will like it". I'm here to tell you, I ain't gonna drop no big bucks on used car slogans like those.
After I have tried my $99.00 outfit I'll let you know what I think.
No one is, or was discouraging from buying from Albright. I figured you were a grown man and you could spend your money where you wanted to.
Hopefully you'll love your new rod. We were just wanting you to be aware of the warranty and selling practice.
The difference between a premium rod and a cheap or lower end China built rod is who designs it. A lot of low end rods are knockoff tapers of the premium rod manufacturers. Sage, Winston, Loomis, T&T and all the others have skilled designers that design the tapers, mandrels, roll the scrim and test each new design to tweak it to their liking. I don't think that Winston came up with the new BIIIX overnight, or Steve Rajeff with the new NXR. R&D and time.
Does anyone really think that just because Lefty Kregh designs TFO rods, that he really fishes with them. Google up pictures of Lefty and notice what rod he fishes with.
I'm not a big Sage fan. I think the TXL series is fantastic, but my preference lies with Winston. As I've posted before, Winston suits my style of fishing (with graphite rods). I've got Orvis rods and other than the One Ounce 4w, I can take them or leave them. As said before, good luck with your new rod.

Rifleman1776

Reaction score
My Albright rod and reel arrived yesterday.
They both look like just fine pieces of equipment. But, wadda I know?
Need to find someone to help me put line on reel.
Since I don't know the difference, I may never know if I got a good or crummy outfit.
BTW and FWIW, they are not made in China.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
From the recent 2011 MidCurrent Gear Guide
For non-experts — who'll buy most of this year's gear — the choice is harder. For many it means searching the mid-priced category or lower, for the one rod that will serve for almost any style of fishing, from swinging streamers to parachuting tiny PMDs upstream of a rise, or to casting to mudding permit and lazing tarpon on the same afternoon. Almost everyone agrees that you can now buy for $300 (or $100) what would have cost $600 in 2000. This makes it harder than ever to connect price to performance.
2011 New Fly Fishing Gear Guide | MidCurrent

mojo

Reaction score
My Albright rod and reel arrived yesterday.
They both look like just fine pieces of equipment. But, wadda I know?
Need to find someone to help me put line on reel.
Since I don't know the difference, I may never know if I got a good or crummy outfit.
BTW and FWIW, they are not made in China.
Sorry about the China made. It's Korea.
Anyway good luck with it and go to
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4uK_MxvuxM&p=BDABA936354E639E&playnext=1&index=4"]YouTube - Fly Fishing Line to Line Knots : Tying Albright Knots with Fly Fishing Line[/ame]