A tip for those who choose to use an all Nylon leader whether hand knotted or knotless extruded. Back when I used to fish for Atlantic salmon each spring (which I no longer do), I would build my Blood Knotted leaders using moderately stiff butt sections and more supple, modern co-polymer mid and tippet sections (no funky Maxima to the dismay of Canadian guides) out to about 10 to 12'. the evening before fishing, I would soak them in warm water (monofilament is somewhat porous and is affected by water) then hang them off a deck or out a window with a bit of weight tied to the tippet. When cooled and dried they would be straight as an arrow when attached to my fly line and rigged on the rod. Straightening the leader in this way eliminated the frictional damage the can be caused by pulling the Nylon through a leather pad or whatever and rendered it superior for the big mends employed to adjust the swim of a salmon fly through a pool. And I never used a Turle Knot to bend on an up-loop-eye salmon hook, never.

I get the popularity of factory extruded tapered leaders and have a drawer full of them. They are better than they used to be and obviously the easiest thing to use. I find their simple tapers unacceptable for dry fly presentation though fine for fishing wets. I have long regarded knot tying skill and thoughtful leader craft to be a fundamental fly fishers' capability but folks remind me now and then that times have changed. I scowl and remark, "Not necessarily for the better".