Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Run-off

Default Re: Run-off

The Yellowstone above Livingston is over 17,000 cfs and climbing steadily; if it keeps going up at the same rate it will be over flood stage day after tomorrow.

But I always marvel a bit at the difference between these big Western rivers and the small rivers of the Ozarks where I live half the year. Record flow on the Yellowstone is something like 36,000 cfs. Sounds impressive, right? But in the record flooding in the Ozarks last year, the North Fork of the White River, which has a normal flow of around 500 cfs, got up to an estimated 250,000 cfs! My home rivers of the Ozarks, which have normal flows of about the same 500 cfs, will reach better than 75,000 cfs in larger floods, and that's far from their record flows.

Record flood levels on the Yellowstone at Carter's Bridge are about 10 feet higher than the level at late summer normal. The Buffalo River in Arkansas, which typically gets well under 100 cfs in drought years, has had levels 70 feet above normal!

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

wow! Hope it doesn't go over the flood stage. Any Updates?

All of the rivers in my area at some level of flood stage. Major flood stage on the Clark Fork River above Missoula is 13', it's been at about 13.5' for a day now and rising. It's been raining pretty hard since yesterday and the new prediction is for the river to crest above 14'. That is 100 year flood.

The water cycle of rivers in the West never ceases to amaze me. I've lived with these same rivers daily for 20 years and spring run-off never ceases to amaze me. Flooding is such an interesting natural occurrence. I hesitate to call it a natural disaster. When rivers flood, they spill out of their channels and spread across the flood plain depositing nutrients onto the valley. It is not like the crust of the earth tearing open, or a tornado touching down. Floods are what create the fertile valleys that in turn allowed man to live agrarian lives. If people hadn't tried to place permanent settlements on the flood plain there would be very little disaster.

5. Default Re: Run-off

Dang! I'm moving to Hamilton the first of June...hope it subsides by then! Good luck!

Dave

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

The Clark Fork in Missoula is set to crest at a 100 year record on Saturday.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/cla...144eb9070.html
    Larry

It is best not to call your western destination fly shop and ask them when their river will drop as they will likely be inundated with them. Nobody really knows anyway as there could still be more snow and there will likely be more heavy rains. However, by watching the reservoir levels and inflows one can get an idea of when they can start dropping the out flow on your favorite tailwater. fishery. The early season will find crowded conditions on fishable rivers. By the time some rivers drop to wadeable levels some good hatches may already have come and gone. These things make trip planning difficult, unless one plans to fish Stillwaters...
    Keep 'em wet!

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12