What does Di mean?

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Looking at Airflo lines and they list sink rates (?) in terms of Di numbers. What do these numbers actually mean? I never came across this before. Is it strictly an English rating or what?

ant

Reaction score
I just checked it out and it seems to be a model number for their lines, but that it corresponds to the speed that the line sinks.

So the DI 3 will sink at 3 inches per second and the DI 5 sinks at 5 inches per second.

boser

Reaction score
Depth per Inch. like DI 5 will sink 5 inches per second

Last edited:

ezamora

Reaction score
i just perused their website and it seems the Di lines are the ones with what airflo calls a unique U shaped sinking pattern. seems to me to be their unique version of density compensation, in a U shape. just speculating. here are some snippets from their "Sweep" line description:

"Based on the same technology as the incredible Sixth Sense flylines, Airflo have created a small range of flylines that sink in a U shape profile."

"With the recent popularity of the 'washing line' technique, we realised that creating a U shape retrieve path actually allows the fly to fish through a range of depths effectively, during a single cast. "

"The Airflo Sweep Fly Lines follow this U sink path by increasing the sink speed of the belly section of the flyline to be faster than the tip and running line."

"The use of power core, reduces tangles significantly and helps sets the hooks despite the belly in the line, something that was always a problem with the old Hi-D type lines."

"When boat fishing, the Airflo Sweep Fly Line creates a far sharper angle on the final lift and this almost vertical action is extremely deadly for strip and hang techniques.

Available in Di5 and and Di7 belly sink rates, the tip of the Di5 sinks at 3.5" per sec and the Belly sinks at 5" per sec, on the Di7 version the tip sinks at 5" per sec and the belly sinks at 7" per second."

there's no mention of what "Di" actually stands for.

eric
fresno, ca.

ant

Reaction score
A "U" shape....? That might be pretty interesting if it works properly.

ezamora

Reaction score
oooo lala, think of cursive!

why don't you contact airflo or one of their reps and ask them?

eric
fresno, ca.