Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: back to fishing again.

Hi Jim, thanks for the invite. I'll PM you if I am heading your way.
    By the way, the nether land escape isn't permanent yet, we might moved back again for the sake of our business. the rent up here is crazy.

Tim, thank you for letting me know about the Oakland casting club, I'll take 580 East all the way. I'll unbox my gears and head there tomorrow to practice after the rush hour. The Tri-valley fishers club is very close as well, I'll check it out.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Well, I went to Oakland Casting Pond and practiced a bit, there was only me and another guy so I could embarrassed myself with no hesitation LOL.

This morning I drove for 2 hours North to the American River and took 2 rods with me; a 6wt 9ft and a 5wt 11ft switch. Got there around 7.30am and walked down stream away from the section of the river that mainly occupied by the gear guys. As I was half way down thru the bushes to a gravel bank, I stopped and noticed that I was at the entrance of a Poison Oak garden I turned around and got my rod tip and line stuck in some branches! after a bit of luck I got the tip free and turned around. That area is thick with Poison Oak.
    Anyway, no luck on that section, mostly because i couldn't find the right shooting head - sinking tip combo to allow my swing to finish and basically I need more practice.

after spending an hour wondering around bushwhacking around poison oak and casting aimlessly, I decided to take a break and lunch. I checked on my car GPS for other locations and found a trail about 2 miles down and decided to get there. In this section poison oak is more scattered and not really thick. I followed some random walking trails and found myself in a nice area, the water is really clear, 20 ft of shallow ripple then gradually deeper water. The other side of the bank is about 150 FT away, deep and beyond my casting ability. I rested my switch rod on a tree stump right behind me and used the 6wt single hand. Tied a size of whatever nymph 18" under a bobber or that thingama thingy. Lobbed it out really short about 10ft, drifted it for 5ft, the bobber disappeared, and I got my first American River rainbow trout and my first trout after more than a year. I got to meet a nice older gent on the river, had a nice chat and asked him for tips on how to fish the river. He gave me a Bloody Marie fly for the American Shad too. Boy I was a happy boy again, and "I'll be bak"

That's all folks all good stuff. Happy Memorial Day.
    Last edited by runningfish; 05-30-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

3. Likes rc51sport liked this post

Welcome back Hans!

Thank you DW.

Welcome back !

7. Likes runningfish liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12