Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I'm a fly casting instructor!

I really enjoy my time as a volunteer casting instructor for the local Orvis store. Been doing their free 101 and 201 classes for the past three seasons alongside the store staff. None of us is certified but we're all good casters and the students are mostly noobs looking for a taste of fly fishing. Usually three of us teaching 12-17 students. No hooks in 101, just a bit of velcro attached to the tippet but we still always wear sunglasses and hats It's really satisfying to see students arrive completely naive and after an hour demonstrate a good basic forward cast.
    "Work is what I do in between fishing trips."
    on Youtube at BlooMagooTV

2. Likes ia_trouter, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
    I really enjoy my time as a volunteer casting instructor for the local Orvis store. Been doing their free 101 and 201 classes for the past three seasons alongside the store staff. None of us is certified but we're all good casters and the students are mostly noobs looking for a taste of fly fishing. Usually three of us teaching 12-17 students. No hooks in 101, just a bit of velcro attached to the tippet but we still always wear sunglasses and hats It's really satisfying to see students arrive completely naive and after an hour demonstrate a good basic forward cast.
    It was one of the most satisfying things I have done in recent memory. 45 students for 3 instructors was intimidating. We got lucky that only a couple just couldn't grasp it in half a day. St Croix Dan may not be the most skilled caster out there, but the man can teach and motivate like I have never seen. I swear if somebody had thrown their rod in the pond the first thing he would have told them was their casting stroke was really showing promise. I think they are going to charge a fee next year and donate it to charity. Just to minimize the number of people that have zero intention of ever fishing, and are just entertaining themselves for the day.

Sure wish I had found this course when I started fly fishing. My first season was a struggle.

4. Likes mcnerney, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

You'll do great. The way I see it, if it's free it's probably not the best. Lmao. J/K! You'll be instructing people that have never casted a rod. I always say, "You will walk away today knowing some fundamentals, not a expert." I also ask who has never casted a spinning rod. When they raise their hands I say "Alright! No spin fishing muscle memory so you will be casting better faster!" lol

Break a leg. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

6. Likes karstopo liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12