Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Helios 3

Default Orvis Helios 3

My local Orvis store is giving away a free hat if you test drive a Helios 3 get a free hat.

I fell for it the trial. The rod although about $1300 for a full outfit really exceeded my expectations.

I was really unsure about the accuracy, but after talking to the rep it is all in the tip. As a sort of newbe I thought I would be a good tester. I have to say when my cast was correct I was pretty accurate. He laid his cell about 30 feet and I hit it pretty regularly.

I have a LLBean rod which is pretty stiff and I know I am not the best caster, but I keep practicing.

All in all I have to say the Helios 3 is a nice lightweight accurate rod. If I can hit a target imagine what a good caster can do!

2. Likes myt1, littledavid123, hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

Default Re: Orvis Helios 3

I'm glad you got a free hat, I would do that too. My impressions, though limited, are H3 is a fine series of rods. I take issue with Orvis's advertising premise of the rod's accuracy though as I regard the caster as the source of accuracy not the rod (though it can help). Stick with your LL Bean outfit and continue to practice and fish. At some point you will realize you are ready to upgrade your equipment, then you will test cast a bunch of rods...even if a free hat is not offered.

$1300 to be accurate at 30?
    I think you could probably do 30 accurately without a rod if you practice a bit. And Im not kidding. Im sure the rod is a fine piece of technology, but I dont think Id pay that much for a piece of graphite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all in the reflexes.

5. Likes GlennNY, rsagebrush, hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

what size and weight rod/s did you cast? D or F?

I've been critical of Orvis rods on here. I have had durability issues that I've just never had with other makes. Plus with the H3 I'm not a fan of the branding - is the "Feel" rod unable to go for distance? Does the "Distance" rod lack feel?

With that said, I recently had the chance to fish three different models: a 4 weight Feel, a 5 weight Feel, and a 5 weight Distance, all 9 footers, and okay okay, they're all really nice.

The 4 weight was the dry fly rod for the day, and a sweet dry fly rod at that. I dunno if I would want it for short work or close quarters, but maybe that's just cuz it's was 9 feet long.

The 5 weight Feel started with a hopper dropper then finished the day nymphing. For a mid-flexing rod (why couldn't they just stick to this terminology?), it had juuust enough punch to put light nymphs into a stiff breeze.

The 3D was delegated to streamer duties. It was a surprisingly powerful rod, and fished almost like a 5 and a half weight. It was great for dissecting every little corner of a small stream, and loaded a lot of line in a hurry. The tip was softish though, and got kinda "hingey" at distance, despite the branding. In hindsight I wish I had put a dry on this one. I dunno how it woulda felt (felt? but this isn't the "Feel" model!), but I imagine it could be brilliant for punching a dry into every little nook and cranny of a grassy bank...or it coulda just felt too powerful for small dry work.

All in all though, they're super light, super smooth, and generally upgraded versions of their H2 counterparts. The Orvis guys assure me the lineup is also more durable (IIRC 70% more durable, to be exact) than their previous flagship.

I feel weird saying it, but I like 'em. Not enough to run out and drop 9 bills on one, but hey, they were fun.

7. Default Re: Orvis Helios 3

I am NOT an Orvis fun but tested 8 F and D and have to say they did a very good job.
    Having said that, after playing with them for an hour or more (grass) I would like to get something in between F@D :-)'I think they are completely different rods with similar names.
    And the graphics... If I ever own it, I will have to put duct tape on the butt white stickers!!!
    Sorry, guys but I do not want to make Orvis statement on the river! (DId I say, I was not a fun of O rods? :-) )

(Or instead of hats, for such price, they should provide the rod with a roll of duct tape free of charge!)

Accurate from anywhere...If kutzer is casting it, yes probably true.

I am not ready to drop the jack on the H3, but a fine rod for sure.

9. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Bought the Helios3 10’ 4F. It’s been a great rod. I use it mainly for high sticking. I plan on getting a 9 and 11D for Salt trips.

11. Likes cpowell, myt1, hairwing530 liked this post
  12. Default Re: Orvis Helios 3

I cast the 5D and 5F a while back and preferred the 5D. I will go cast again if they offer a free hat. I still have a Zero Gravity hat from a few years back. Graphics were not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gormaci View Post
    I am NOT an Orvis fun but tested 8 F and D and have to say they did a very good job.
    Having said that, after playing with them for an hour or more (grass) I would like to get something in between F@D :-)'I think they are completely different rods with similar names.
    And the graphics... If I ever own it, I will have to put duct tape on the butt white stickers!!!
    Sorry, guys but I do not want to make Orvis statement on the river! (DId I say, I was not a fun of O rods? :-) )

(Or instead of hats, for such price, they should provide the rod with a roll of duct tape free of charge!)
    Interesting you say "something in between the F & D..."

I don't mean to derail this into a discussion about another rod, buuut I've found myself pondering if the middle cup of porridge between these two rods is the Sage X...deeper flexing like the F, but with the ability to launch line off the tip like the D...

14. Thanks Redbrook thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
    Bought the Helios3 10’ 4F. It’s been a great rod. I use it mainly for high sticking. I plan on getting a 9 and 11D for Salt trips.

....but lemme keep this discussion about the H3!

On that 10 footer, do you find it to have better-than-average backbone?

the reason I ask is cuz I'm curious about their longer rods, and an Orvis guy assured me those 10 footers seem to fish a weight class up. (e.g. 4 fishes more like a 5, 5 more like a 6, etc...)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast