In the ditch.

kevind62

Reaction score
Would love to know how you can tell if there is access to these ditches. Recently drove through the area. Seeing several of these little jewels couldn't help but think there had to be fish in them and wondering where one could fish.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Cody
Great story and photos, thanks for sharing!
I've been doing yard work the past two days so reading about a fishing adventure sure makes for some great reading!

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would love to know how you can tell if there is access to these ditches. Recently drove through the area. Seeing several of these little jewels couldn't help but think there had to be fish in them and wondering where one could fish.
I Use an app on my phone...worth its weight in Gold! Wyoming is actually a pretty crappy state for public land access and this app is the best tool I know of for spotting public land and access points.

The amount of information contained in here is worth, imho, 50 times what the app costs. I should be getting a check for as many times as I have had people buy this app. This is a screen shot of the area i was in. You can of course zoom in or out as needed.

Like on most maps, seek out the Green, Purple and Brown....and yes I was fishing the pioneer canal.

Last edited:

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cody
Great story and photos, thanks for sharing!
I've been doing yard work the past two days so reading about a fishing adventure sure makes for some great reading!
Thanks for the reminder...I have been slacking in the yard and I hate to make the neighbors judge my jungle so I just told my son to mow the yard. ROFLMAO!!!

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Wyoming is public access Mecca compared to Texas! I have 5 lakes within an hour of my house. One is private. The other 4 have entrance fees. The river nearby (Colorado) is free to launch watercraft, but the access points closest to me are shut due to last year’s flooding. There is no wading access. The bays and beaches are free, but are 2 hours away. Treasure your proximity to water on public land!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wyoming is public access Mecca compared to Texas! I have 5 lakes within an hour of my house. One is private. The other 4 have entrance fees. The river nearby (Colorado) is free to launch watercraft, but the access points closest to me are shut due to last year’s flooding. There is no wading access. The bays and beaches are free, but are 2 hours away. Treasure your proximity to water on public land!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born in Arlington and my dad said no way jose to all that private land and promptly moved us to Idaho and then Colorado. Wyoming has some great stuff for sure and I do not mean to make light of it, but the big ranches dominate a lot of access points here. Florida has the same issues but when I am there I am in one of the greatest public plots of all, lake Mexico! Would love to have you settle me in on some Red's some day.

I feel your pain...I choose to work for peanuts so I can live in the Rockies. I may not retire until I die but I am going fishing at a new location that looks wicked in t-minus 6 hours and counting!

Houston, Joey has a problem.

kevind62

Reaction score
I Use an app on my phone...worth its weight in Gold! Wyoming is actually a pretty crappy state for public land access and this app is the best tool I know of for spotting public land and access points.
I can neither agree or disagree to this. For the most part, I've fished with Larry in WY and the places we've fished had ample access. On the other side of the card, my last outing was on my own with directions and tips. But finding the access points was difficult. One had fisherman already there so we moved on. Drove a while before coming to another one. But this one was difficult to pin down. It's located literally on a private cattle ranch. You have to go through a gate that's part of the ranch but is not marked so it's a bit confusing. Would have left and never known had we not stopped and asked one of the ranch hands if he knew of any public access close by. He said "yes, right through that gate." pointing behind us. Had a great day there and had the water all to ourselves with the exception of two drift boats that passed by. It's my guess just the locals know about this. Someone like me looking for a place to fish would never have found it without the help of the ranch hand.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely be downloading this app!!!!!!!!!

flav

Reaction score
Good job finding those fish. Too bad they don't have screens to keep the fish in the river and out of the canals, though.
Same problem here in Oregon. Irrigation canals run April to October, then they shut them off and any fish in them die. My son and his friends often netted stranded trout in the fall, and returned a few to the river before the coyotes got them. Luckliy the number of fish that slip into the canals is small, but it would be nice if they could keep them out.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys this is not a bad thing in this situation, this canal feeds one of the best fishing lakes in the area and then the outlet of that lake is screened...Efficient stocking you could say and the river is Loaded with fish already.

flav

Reaction score
Well that's not such a bad situation. Our local canals drain off from a short stretch between two small dams, so it doesn't effect a large section of river.

Farther east, though, I've seen pictures of hundreds of wild steelhead smolts lost in unscreened irrigation canals. With the state of our wild steelhead populations, that's a very sad situation.

cpiercem

Reaction score
It's always great to find some fish close to home!

Not to sidetrack here...cpowell, I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full. Short answer is "No, but looks good." :)

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's always great to find some fish close to home!

Not to sidetrack here...cpowell, I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full. Short answer is "No, but looks good." :)
We got rejected, the road was getting so bad at about the 10 mile out mark I was starting to rut pretty badly so I decided to turn her around and head for the stable. I guess I cannot complain as I was shoveling 8 inches of snow last year on the 18th. I know because it is my birthday and last year I was not such a happy camper shoveling snow on my birthday! Thankfully, it just spit a little down here and is now dry, hopefully we do not get smacked tonight.

I am going to try and head to Ashton next weekend after the meeting with the NSF on the Greys.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok, I am geared up and ready to head out. I am going to a different area entirely today and will let the mud dry a bit from yesterday. Today's venue has pavement to the all weather road that accesses the parking lot, then the shoe-leather express kicks in. Happy to see some sun today!

People; leave the yard alone, don't touch that paint brush...and ignore the honey-due list...It's time to fish!