breaking the barrier between fly fisherman and conventional anglers

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinspired

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This past week i had the chance to head north to explore some of northern ontario's fisheries.

I took on the fly fishing game 7 or so years back and the passion still burns deep in me but i find myself wanting to explore new people, techniques and places. I stepped outside the boundaries of what i knew up there and with the help of locals like Tyler Dunn and Adam Baggs, i was able to capture some awesome moments on camera.

Feed back is always welcomed with my content.. Good or bad.

The video seems to have riled some so I removed it for various reasons. The mentioning of guiding services several times being one of those reasons.

Thanks for watching guys,

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think i speak for most of us when I say we have no barrier there. I also think I speak for most when I say I fished conventional and still do at times, but now choose a fly rod almost exclusively.

Looks like you had a fun time.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I think i speak for most of us when I say we have no barrier there. I also think I speak for most when I say I fished conventional and still do at times, but now choose a fly rod almost exclusively.
That's me. Heck, last night I was throwing a six weight by lantern light with a baited catfish rod next to me, complete with a bell.

flyinspired

Reaction score

Looks like you had a fun time.
I hear ya! its good to see both sides of the fishing community. Its sad when guys limit themselves to 1 thing.

thanks for the response,

Dan

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone has to say it..................

Welcome to the forum Dan!

Obviously you're excited about fly fishing and whenever you have down time this makes a good place to share thoughts, experiences or to ask questions. Glad to have you posting with us,

Ard

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Someone has to say it..................

Welcome to the forum Dan!

Obviously you're excited about fly fishing and whenever you have down time this makes a good place to share thoughts, experiences or to ask questions. Glad to have you posting with us,

Ard

X2 on this. Welcome!!

Nice post, Ard.

stenacron

Reaction score
I never think about these perceived "barriers" between fishing types until they're brought up here on NAFFF... the last two letters do stand for fly fishing though... so if there appears to be a lack of love for other types of fishing here, well I am guessing that is by design. :p

weiliwen

Reaction score
One of my favorite forums is a fishing site for a locale I fish in, the Driftless Area. It's meant for trout anglers, not fly fishers, not spin fishers. We get together for outings a couple times a year. We all get along great. On the stream, the same thing. I often see friends fishing side by side, one with spin gear, one with fly gear.

I did see more of a cultural barrier over on the West Coast, at least when I lived there.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
One of my favorite forums is a fishing site for a locale I fish in, the Driftless Area. It's meant for trout anglers, not fly fishers, not spin fishers. We get together for outings a couple times a year. We all get along great. On the stream, the same thing. I often see friends fishing side by side, one with spin gear, one with fly gear.

I did see more of a cultural barrier over on the West Coast, at least when I lived there.
In our part of the world fly fishing is the minority vote by a very wide margin. I take spin fishers on my boat quite often, or even to Driftless streams. As long as there is some respect for the resource and regs there is no barrier for me.

karstopo

Reaction score
On the Texas Gulf Coast, I don't see any barriers. I really don't know what the numbers are, but every time I fish I see multiple folks using bait and/or lures and see another fly guy maybe two or three times a year. I enjoy fishing with my lure chunking bait casting rig using friends. We all fish together, sometimes out of the same boat, casting at the same time, to the same fish. It somehow works, but I don't like the idea of another fly line or two added to the mix. No one gives me a hard time for using the fly rod other than some of the razzing we have always done. There can be a little competiveness that creeps in when fishing with friends, but it's all in fun, and it is fun, and no one gets bent out of shape.

There are definitely a fair number of at least part time fly rodders fishing the coastal waters here as judged by the traffic on interest forums, but overall, fly fishing locally is still mostly treated as a novelty or oddity with many locals that I talk with. Since I really don't fish with other fly fishermen, I really don't know first hand what the attitude is among that group is towards conventional tackle and techniques. There's always the posts on the local boards that are something to the effect of "you aren't doing it like I would, therefore, you aren't doing it right" but those kinds of posts are on the conventional tackle threads, too.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
As long as there is some respect for the resource and regs there is no barrier for me.
Same here.

fly fishing locally is still mostly treated as a novelty or oddity with many locals that I talk with.
Definitely so here in Kansas. We're scarce as hen's teeth. I definitely get a lot of odd looks. People associate fly fishing with trout so it seems strange to them in a warmwater state like Kansas.

driftless22

Reaction score
In regard to boat fishing, gear fishing friends are a big plus. If the party includes one fly caster and one gear chucker, more often than not both can fish at the same time.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I fish conventional gear a lot during the warmer months, it's fun, that's baitcasting gear, I do a bit of spin fishing in the colder months and some in summer too. Personally I like it for good reason. I fish barbless and mostly single hook too. It's a gas watching a smallmouth smack a 3 to 6 inch plug.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
In regard to boat fishing, gear fishing friends are a big plus. If the party includes one fly caster and one gear chucker, more often than not both can fish at the same time.
I actually find it quite handy on some days. They are usually fishing deeper and slower than I am. If somebody is getting spanked on any particular day, it's time for one of us to adjust his game.

And on the days I get beat, I get to tell them catching fish on live bait is like trying to catching a fat kid with a ham sammich. That's worth money right there. :)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've been "fly rod only" for over 50 years
I fish for my own recreation and if that means not catching a fish today, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Tomorrow is another day.

You want to fish with hardware, I have no problem with that.
But......
72337538327a706648342d76334d4b6141-100x100.jpg

stenacron

Reaction score
I've been "fly rod only" for over 50 years
I fish for my own recreation and if that means not catching a fish today, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Tomorrow is another day.

You want to fish with hardware, I have no problem with that.
But......
View attachment 11407
I had to "like" this post because "loving" a post was not an option. :D

These threads rarely end well and I cannot for the life of me see why the subject ever gets brought up (again and again). There is no slamming of other types of fishing on here... that is until someone gets the urge to kumbaya it up and "smooth" the imaginary troubled waters between the fly fishing snobs, hardware chuckers, and bait dunkers.

Should there be a disclaimer on the masthead warning visitors that the content of this website may lean heavily towards fly fishing, but not to worry... a lot of them own tackle boxes and bait cans too! :p

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am glad that Joe called himself out on this. from the history this is a FF site and I am one of those people who got ripped for trying to be cool to the chuckers and dunkers. I am of the school of thought that the folks who chuck are here and are winnable but the divide is to great i guess.

Ard welcomed him..someone had to do it. He gets paid for just that. But the wishy washy nature is confusing.

The most knowledgeable here rarely put up an honest to goodness report, they never show actual natural pictures,,,Just a bunch of internet produced junk. We try, we come back, we are nice, we are positive then **** like this happens.

Fly fishing is easy. People get so hung up on fly fishing,,,**** they are trout and will hit a spark plug with a hook on it. Get off your high ****ing horses and learn to be kind humans.

Well I for one know many bait dunkers who do it with barbless circle hooks who do not deep hook and can catch five times the trout to one of a fly angler. Lord help us.

Now onto another 60 pages of bullshit and 90 posts about a pair of sunglasses and a tippet. No wonder fly fishing people are laughed at. then these same people will rip TU for their snootiness.

The hypocrisy is amazing and somewhat sickening. I came back, put the effort up and its the same old bullshit. Keep em wet...Bucket brigade, barbed hooks. Lunatic fringe.

So here's to you NAFF.

005_zpsa32940fd.jpg

And I accept my own challenge to go out and and do instead of say and post great content instead of not. Be respectful of those who don't quite get it yet and even like Brook Rookie and weliwen even though they think I am a conservative rat *******.

See you on the river...

Last edited by a moderator:

rc51sport

Reaction score
Fishing is fishing.
Pop my trunk, there's a couple spin rods and a Plano tackle box.
I dont care what your rod looks like, how bright and unrealistic your bait is, how you cast. It catches fish and its fishing. What I am more concerned about is how the fish is handled, how the angler cleans up their trash, and such. This shows more about a person than what kind of rod they prefer.
We all start out not knowing shi* but we learn one way or another. Some people dont know the best ways to handle and release fish until someone educates them. As long as they try. Just dont be a complete di** and we will get along fine.

I love my new polarized sunglasses btw

Status
Not open for further replies.