Talk to me about cold weather fly-fishing

cwb124

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I will be the first to admit I am traditionally a very fair weather fisherman. Typically stick to late spring and summer fly fishing. Never went for steelhead or salmon. Never really fished when it's been cold, except for a random warm fall day.

But this August a few friends and I are heading near the Arctic circle to fish for dollys and grayling. From what I can gather from the historical weather reports, the temps will be between 39 and 52 degrees with the temps usually somewhere in between in the 40s. Nice thing is there doesn't seem to be much temp swing in a 24 hour period due to the sun. Anyway, I haven't really fished much in those temps, I am usually hunting when it's in the 40s.

What are some things to consider when it gets down near freezing? I believe I have the needed gear, but any guidance would be helpful. I have some thermal bottoms, fleece wading pants, simms extreme fishing gloves, wading jacket.

What usually gets super cold on your body when fishing long hours in those temps? Any tips or things to expect would be super. Thanks!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome fishing trip, but good for you in getting as prepared as possible. Some people have trouble with their feet getting cold, personally I don't have that problem. My hands and face get cold, especially if the wind comes up, so I like to use those chemical hand warmers (Hot Hands brand) for my hands. You can shove them inside you gloves. For me I hate full finger gloves when fishing, so I opt for either the half finger for the mitt that flips back exposing half fingers (that is my personal favorite). For my head I have the Simms winter hat with the flaps that fold down with velcro to tie off under the chin so that does a pretty good job of keeping my head warm and it is water proof so when it rains it keeps the head dry. For the face I like a good balaclava, the kind that has a hole for your mouth to breath, that way you aren't fooling up your sun glasses.
Please post up a trip report when you get back, its been a long time since I have fished for dollys and grayling in Alaska.

Here is the Simms hat that I use in cold weather:
https://www.simmsfishing.com/pros/shop/mens/headwear/gore-tex-exstream-hat-1

Something like this to keep the wind and cold off your face:
https://www.simmsfishing.com/pros/shop/mens/headwear/guide-windbloc-neck-gaiter-f17

Here are the gloves that I use:
https://www.simmsfishing.com/freestone-foldover-mitt

stenacron

Reaction score
Dry air out here in the Utah valley's, so I regularly fish down to around 25* F. Cold is not so much of a problem as icing up on the guides is. It's actually a problem into the high 30s* F, but manageable with occasional stoppages for breaking the icebergs off the guides. Into the low-mid 20s though it starts to drive me crazy and I call it quits pretty fast.

Fingers and toes are the only things that bother me after time. When the toes get cold I usually get out for a bit and hike the river to get the blood flowing again. Fingers can be more of a pain, especially after getting wet. Take a towel and wipe your hands dry after releasing a fish (or as they get wet from stripping line)... this will help immensely.

As Larry mentioned, these can be your best friend. Be sure to break'em and shake'em early (on the way to the river) as they can take a while to activate:

406Life

Reaction score
I fish MT into the winter and coming out. If I fish during the winter, its on a spring creek. I layer up under the waders and my feet seem to be pretty warm. Hands are the first to go cold. I wear my stripping gloves and keep hand warmers in the pockets. I'm more concerned with falling in than I am just getting cold fishing. I also don't stay out all day, takes a lot of calories to stay warm. Couple hours and I'm out.

cwb124

Reaction score
Luckily I likely won't have to deal with icy guides, although up in Alaska the weather is unpredictable but most likely not. I'm just trying to prepare for being able to fish long days comfortably without getting cold and wet because August is the wettest month up there. I have a high quality wading jacket which I can layer under. I might be overthinking this but I have been known the plan excessively.

el jefe

Reaction score
Resist the temptation to layer up with too many thick pairs of socks. I have done that, and found my feet freezing because I constricted my feet and reduced circulation. I had to get out of the water, strip down to take off my waders to remove the thick pair socks, and then put everything back on. My feet were fine after that, wearing only a pair of liner socks. Fortunately, although it was 27*, the sun was out, so it was not as cold standing there in my skivvies as it could have been.

flav

Reaction score
Above the Arctic circle it's very likely going to be windy and perhaps rainy, but definitely windy. Have good breathable rain gear and waders that'll keep the moisture and wind out. Then keep your head and feet warm, I use a merino wool hat and socks. For gloves I prefer wool too, because wool keeps your fingers warm even if it's sopping wet. Handling fish will get your hands wet and cold. Either do it as little as possible by using a disgorger (or having a guide do it) or have a towel to wipe your hands dry before putting your gloves back on.

Sounds like a great adventure. I hope you give us a report with a few photos when you return.

huronfly

Reaction score
Mostly depends on water temp. I rarely get cold even below freezing, but the first thing to get cold is without a doubt my toes, and that's with water hovering at or just above freezing. I normally get out and walk a little bit to warm them back up and they're good to go in a few minutes. Take cold showers the week leading up to the trip and you will be well adapted;)

duker

Reaction score
cwb124, where exactly are you going fishing? I'm assuming that since you're heading to near the Arctic Circle you're either heading to Alaska or one of Canada's northern territories. I live in Yellowknife, NWT, which is nowhere near the Arctic Circle but I have fished the Tree River in August (just north of the Arctic Circle), some of our other northern rivers in mid-summer, and done lots of fishing/camping/canoeing up here in cooler months.

One thing you should know is that even though August is considered "summer" by southern standards, it's closer to fall up here. You should be prepared for anything weather-wise: hot sunny days, cold windy ones, snow, rain, frost, fog, the works. Other posters have some great advice and I'll just reiterate that. Have plenty of layers available, including breathable/waterproof ones for outer layers, and bring appropriate headgear and gloves or something for your hands. Bring extras and spares of everything.

Are you staying at a lodge or DIY'ing it by camping? Regardless, you'll want to be sure that you can get those layers off at the end of the day to make sure they're dried out for the next day. Having the ability to build a fire, or at least sit around some sort of heater is also a bonus. Likely no trees where you're going but there may be sufficient driftwood to get a fire going if you want to warm up.

Hope you have a great trip, and make sure to post a trip report and pics when you get back. It's a magical part of the world, and a once-in-a-lifetime fishing experience.

Scott

cwb124

Reaction score
We are doing a DIY remote float trip on the Wulik river north of Kotzebue, AK. Flying in with a couple of rafts and camping gear and planning to float 30-40 miles fishing for dolly varden and grayling along the way. I have heard the wind can be a major issue so I have packed accordingly for that I hope. The lack of trees is kind of disconcerting and something I hadn't realized. If there is driftwood, where does it come from? Will it have any BTUs left? I will definitely post a report when I get back. Just picked up a new gopro and a few extra batteries so there should be some nice footage. Thanks for the info folks. Truly appreciated.

JDR

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to wear a polypropylene layer next to your skin at all times. Thicker will obviously give you more insulation, but the important thing is to wick the moisture away from your body before it can start to chill you down. If you cannot keep your skin dry, you will never be warm. And remember, that moisture (perspiration) has to go somewhere, so be sure to dry your outer layers as much as possible when you can.

NWADrew

Reaction score
I like using the fingerless mitts to keep my hands warm when bowhunting and fishing on colder temps. Academy Sports came out with some two years ago for around $19 a pair and they worked great for me fishing in the teens here in Arkansas this past winter. Have two pair fishing because you'll get them wet. But temps in the 30's are only tough if it's raining.

cwb124

Reaction score
I got a pair of the Simms half finger gloves on sale an they seem solid. I also brought a pair of snowboard gloves in case it gets really cold for around camp. Might pick up a cheaper pair of Cabelas fingerless gloves. Hand warmers too but we are getting up there in our gear weight for the bush plane so I need to be vigilant.

pheldozer

Reaction score
I got a pair of the Simms half finger gloves on sale an they seem solid. I also brought a pair of snowboard gloves in case it gets really cold for around camp. Might pick up a cheaper pair of Cabelas fingerless gloves. Hand warmers too but we are getting up there in our gear weight for the bush plane so I need to be vigilant.
get some nitrile rubber gloves to wear under your 1/2 fingers. you can still tie knots and your hands will stay dry. speaking of hands, bring handwarmers and footwarmers. once i gave up being a tough guy in the winter, hand/footwarmers were a game changer for me. have fun, sounds like an awesome trip

JDR

Reaction score
Polypropolene vs merino wool base layer?
In my opinion, based on a lot of winter backpacking and cross-country skiing, I would go with Patagonia Capilene next to my skin. It will not absorb moisture. Merino wool is good, but I would use it over the Capilene as a layer. It will absorb some moisture and Capilene won't. Capilene also feels soft on your skin and is not at all scratchy. It is also easier to care for than wool. That's just my two cents. YMMV.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Jealous of your trip.

Everything's pretty much been said at this point; stay dry=staying warm. Extremities will get cold faster than the rest of you, so pay particular attention to your hands, feet, head, ears and nose. The nitrile/latex gloves thing works.

Now just some notes (optional stuff): Also consider a small microfiber washcloth towel (the small square ones) to keep on you to get your hands dry fast if needed. Think they sell them in packs at Wally World (4 for 5$ or something).

Alpaca or Bison wool is both warmer and lighter (also less itchy) than any sheep's wool. Making them great for watch caps (never seen alpaca wool thermal underwear, yet).

I would suggest a microweight merino wool base layer over any synthetic (poly, capilene,etc.) base layer if you're going to be out in the bush for more than a couple days. Synthetics will become 'odorous' (even the "treated" ones) after just a couple days. Wool, on the other hand, will smell like wool (and not like your dirty self) for up to a week. Also, your waders won't smell as bad at the end of the day. Merino wool will be more expensive though, so just something to consider.

If it's 40 or below, washing your hands/body with water can be problematic. Consider a couple packs of Handi-wipes (whatever brand floats your boat). They work pretty well and you don't have to soak your body parts in icy water. Also no need to dry anything after using them.

Bring extra pairs of wool socks for two reasons: one, if wool gets really wet, it's kind of a PITA getting them dry again. Trying to toast them over a fire usually results in charred socks before they ever get dry. One trick that kind of works is to bring a microfiber handtowel (rectangular medium size) and roll the damp sock(s) in it like a cylinder, then twist firmly to remove as much water as possible. Hang the handtowel (microfiber will dry much faster than wool), and repeat the process as necessary before bed. Reason two, While you're waiting for your damp socks to dry, it's just nice to have an extra pair of really dry ones to put on your cold feet.

Hope some of that helps. Congrats on the trip, I hope you have a great trip.

Peace.

cwb124

Reaction score
Great tips Rich and everyone else. Thank you. LL Bean had some merino wool base layers on sale so I pulled the trigger. Main reason I did that over patagonia is because I'm 6'6" and LL bean has tall sizes and Patagonia (and most everyone else) did not. If my baselayer isn't tucked in I can't stand it. They had a pair of fire engine red merino wool bottoms for pretty cheap so I guess that color will have to do. Maybe it'll scare off the grizzlies.

Never thought of nitrile gloves. Disposable ones? What's the purpose? Extra insulation?

Great idea with the small microfiber towel. I bought a bigger one to wash up with but a small one that fits in my wading jacket pocket would be helpful. Also did pack some wipes, not only for washing the pits and crotch but for wiping. They are biodegradable.

I will have 4 pairs of wool socks and 2 liner pairs. If my feet get cold then they get cold and I take some breaks. But I think I'm well on my way to being prepared.

pheldozer

Reaction score
Never thought of nitrile gloves. Disposable ones? What's the purpose? Extra insulation?
your hands stay completely dry, and since they're dry, the wind can't make them colder. What's nice is that you can still manipulate your line without losing much feeling and even tie knots as long as you're not using tiny tippet. They're disposable, but not biodegrable, and won't aggravate latex allergies. check on amazon, but you can usually get a couple hundred for under $20.

MarsB

Reaction score
Good call on the merino wool baselayer. I use both Patagonia Capilene and various brands of merino wool baselayers (Smartwool, Icebreakers, Ibex), and while the synthetic is good, I give the edge to merino for warmth & comfort range. I also use mid-weight merino wool ski socks, which are nice and long and go to the knee. I'll use them with shorts under my waders comfortably well into summer in some of the chillier local streams, the temperature management of merino is amazing! Plus they pull double duty in the winter if you ski or snowboard.