Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: If you had a month to fish Montana

I have no idea why, but I saw the first grasshoppers of the season today here in Bozeman. That's waaaaay early, but perhaps portends a strong year for them. Heavy snowpack and lots of spring rains mean the grass is growing well, so chances are good it will be a good year for hoppers...

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

If I had a month to spend fly fishing in Montana, I would spend it fishing in Wyoming!

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: If you had a month to fish Montana & Idaho

If I had a month to spend in Montana I would be very unhappy since I spend two months there each year there June and September!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
    I have no idea why, but I saw the first grasshoppers of the season today here in Bozeman. That's waaaaay early, but perhaps portends a strong year for them. Heavy snowpack and lots of spring rains mean the grass is growing well, so chances are good it will be a good year for hoppers...
    I sure hope your right, I love fishing hoppers!
    Larry

If I had a MONTH to fish anywhere, nonetheless Montana I would just pack up, go, and get lost. I think I’d literally go with no plan other than where am I starting. From there, pop in and out of fly shops and try to meet others to on the water to find inspiration for the next spot/River.
    Have fun!

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Ive been wanting to go to Montana but wouldnt know where to start. I have a ton of free time and maybe next spring or summer ill get to go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Pick a river. Make it your "base" river, the one you're going to fish no matter what. Then do a little research and find some other streams within easy driving distance. Look at a De Lorme Atlas and find creeks coming out of the mountains into your base river. In most parts of Montana, nearly all these creeks will hold wild trout that probably don't see any fishing pressure. I guarantee you'll have enough fishing to last you a lot longer than a week.

Back in the days when I visited Montana one week per year, that's pretty much what we did. Based ourselves in Livingston most years. Had something like 70 miles of the Yellowstone to fish (and although it's a lot better to fish it from a boat, there is a lot of wading on that river from the numerous accesses). Then we had the Boulder, Shields, Gallatin, and lower Madison all within an hour's drive or less. Plus a half dozen nice creeks coming into the Yellowstone. If we got a wild hair to fish somewhere different, we'd go to the Bighorn or the Missouri or the Big Hole or farther up the Madison or up into Yellowstone Park, all close enough that it didn't take all day to get to them...just plan on spending a night or two somewhere in the vicinity and fish them a couple days. We also did a few trips where we based on one of the other "classic" rivers and did the same thing, fishing every stream we could find in the area. It's a lot easier to do in Montana than in many other western states with less liberal trespass laws.

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123