Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Wet wading ...WTMI

Denny, I see you're from my old stomping grounds, or in the same general area, anyway. I'm from Dearborn originally, but have lived out west now for decades. Two guys on my beer league hockey team are from your area, hailing from Grand Rapids.

For wet wading, I like the Simms Guide Pants, but refuse to pay full price for them. I'll find them on some of the discount retailers on closeout, or on eBay. They dry quickly, and are comfortable. Under those go the quick-dry undergarments, which I also wear for other activities. I like to stay covered up, fishing at high altitudes, even fish in long sleeves, and if it's not to hot I'll have a Buff to protect the back of my neck. Then I put sunscreen in the more traditional exposed places.

Depending on the situation and how much hiking I expect to do, I either go with my regular wading boots and neoprene socks, or some wet wading socks and wading shoes for the longer hikes to the smaller streams.

And I'm still cracking up at Scotty's post. That's a classic!!

2. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

el jefe, the Grand Rapids and surrounding areas has a few overlooked gems for fishing opportunities!

Denny

4. Likes el jefe liked this post

I must be a real simpleton. Cut-off jeans, a pair old tennis shoes, and enjoy getting wet. If it's too cold, wear the waders and boots.
    Last edited by Flyfisher for men; 06-13-2018 at 12:02 PM.

6. Likes dennyk liked this post

I have Duluth's "Dry on the Fly" cargo pants for wet wading. I also have similar nylon quick-dry pants from LL Bean and Lands End. I like Duluth better, not least because they come in a 28-inch inseam, which works better for me.

Their marketing emphasizes the gusset in the crotch of their pants, which essentially gives them a long rise. But "long rise" doesn't catch the eye the way "Ballroom" does.

It was kinda funny the first 100 times I saw it.

I wear the Dry on the Fly pants all year long. They dont feel like plastic in the winter and dry quick in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
    I must be a real simpleton. Cut-off jeans, a pair old tennis shoes, and enjoy getting wet. If it's too cold, wear the waders and boots.
    Simple right with you, friend. Cut offs, a pair of wading sandals, and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
    Lose those cut-offs. For multiple reasons.

But seriously, try swim trunks or quick dry shorts. I cringe to think of the chafing a wet pair of jeans shorts would give after hiking a couple of miles in them!

My wet wading days are over. Boats only from now on.

12. Likes brownbass, dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
    My wet wading days are over. Boats only from now on.
    I had just read your experience with wading and will suggest reading that thread to everyone. I hope you healing progress rapidly.

Bill

14. Likes dennyk liked this post

I don't wear shorts anymore. The last time I wore them I ended up getting antibiotic shots from the hundreds of black fly bites I acquired.
    Lots of people make nylon pants. Cabelas and others make them treated with permethrin to ward off ticks and other nasties. I have a couple shirts treated with permethrin, too.
    Underneath I either wear nothing or nylon underpants. Under Armour and many others make them.
    I wear long sleeve shirts because I hate sunscreen and burn easily.
    If I'm going to be standing around in the sun, like when I'm fishing saltwater, I wear sun gloves. Sometimes also 'face panties' (Buff) if it's really sunny.
    To deal with the possibility of a real dunking I keep a full spare set of clothes in the car. It's saved me an uncomfortable trip home a few times.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

16. Likes MarsB liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast