Wet wading ...WTMI

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
For those of you who don't have junior high school children to tell you what WTMI stands for it means Way Too Much Information... and that's what you are going to get here..

We all know that regardless of the pants or shorts you wear when wet wading, they won't 'quick dry' if you are not wearing the right garment under them...I have found THE solution!!!

Duluth Trading Armachillo underwear... Simply THE BEST synthetic undergarment for warmer weather I have ever used. In general, if you can get past Duluth Trading Company's silly marketing, every product I have tried from them is excellent and a bit less expensive that more highly marketed brands.

Back to the undergarments... 'Things' stay where they are supposed to...'Things' have never been more comfortable...and 'Things' dry quickly... I feel like I (and my 'Things') have been missing out these past 50-some years!

I have tried the leading brands (e.g. Ex-Officio, etc..) and they are (for my comfort anyways) not as good as the Armachillo line from Duluth TC.

So, if you are searching for good, comfortable, quick drying undergarments for wet wading, check these out. They are really good.

The Armachillo shirts are also really good warm weather fishing shirts- I have a couple and like them very much.

I have absolutely NO relationship with DTC in any way, shape, or form.

To borrow from DTC's (annoying) marketing campaign..."Get a Pair"..

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Cotton..."The death fabric" (needs to be said in a low ominous ton;)).

Never ceases to amaze me that hunters will go through all these extremes but wear cotton underwear. They never dry out and stink by noon, at least to an animal. There are a bunch of synthetic undergarments made for such occasions. By July, I just wear the old swimming trunks and a long sleeve. My wading socks can pull up to just below the knee and this is just a couple of inches below the bottom of my trunks, if need be. I will say I get a rather strange tan during the summer; worthy of a conversation starter. LOL

itinerant

Reaction score
Like Fins, I too have wondered at outdoorsmen (and women) who wear cotton undergarments. Personally, I find nothing more uncomfortable then being damp "down there".

For wet-wading, I have worn the various iterations of Columbia's nylon pants with the integrated mesh brief for years. Everything dries quickly and I find them comfortable.

Rick

darkshadow

Reaction score
I've found my "WTYMI" when it comes to wet wading.

A good canyoneering boot (sorry, wading boots) and a fabric that'll dry off quickly.

I'm good to go.

brownbass

Reaction score
Swim trunks work just fine. A long-sleeve sunblocking shirt work for me. My wading boots with liner socks and Simms wet wading socks top it off.

Bill

scotty macfly

Reaction score
We have a Duluth Trading store not too far from us, and I have been itching to go look around. I have heard nothing but wonderful things on their clothing, so why not on their undies as well?

But wet wading, take it from me, wet wading in a light weight kilt, nothing beats it. Just man up and spray bug spray where bug spray has never been before.

el jefe

Reaction score
But wet wading, take it from me, wet wading in a light weight kilt, nothing beats it. Just man up and spray bug spray where bug spray has never been before.
OK, that truly is WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!:lalala:

I spit beer on my keyboard when I read that, LOL!!!

dennyk

Reaction score
el jefe-LOL!

Wet wading I wear nylon swim trunks, Simms wet wading socks and my wading boots. If I'm fishing an area poison ivy is present I'll put on long nylon athletic warm up pants over the swimwear. Dries out very quickly.

Denny

el jefe

Reaction score
Denny, I see you're from my old stomping grounds, or in the same general area, anyway. I'm from Dearborn originally, but have lived out west now for decades. Two guys on my beer league hockey team are from your area, hailing from Grand Rapids.

For wet wading, I like the Simms Guide Pants, but refuse to pay full price for them. I'll find them on some of the discount retailers on closeout, or on eBay. They dry quickly, and are comfortable. Under those go the quick-dry undergarments, which I also wear for other activities. I like to stay covered up, fishing at high altitudes, even fish in long sleeves, and if it's not to hot I'll have a Buff to protect the back of my neck. Then I put sunscreen in the more traditional exposed places.

Depending on the situation and how much hiking I expect to do, I either go with my regular wading boots and neoprene socks, or some wet wading socks and wading shoes for the longer hikes to the smaller streams.

And I'm still cracking up at Scotty's post. That's a classic!!

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I must be a real simpleton. Cut-off jeans, a pair old tennis shoes, and enjoy getting wet. If it's too cold, wear the waders and boots.

Last edited:

patrick62

Reaction score
I have Duluth's "Dry on the Fly" cargo pants for wet wading. I also have similar nylon quick-dry pants from LL Bean and Lands End. I like Duluth better, not least because they come in a 28-inch inseam, which works better for me.

Their marketing emphasizes the gusset in the crotch of their pants, which essentially gives them a long rise. But "long rise" doesn't catch the eye the way "Ballroom" does.

It was kinda funny the first 100 times I saw it.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I wear the Dry on the Fly pants all year long. They dont feel like plastic in the winter and dry quick in the summer.

MarsB

Reaction score
I must be a real simpleton. Cut-off jeans, a pair old tennis shoes, and enjoy getting wet. If it's too cold, wear the waders and boots.
Lose those cut-offs. For multiple reasons. ;)

But seriously, try swim trunks or quick dry shorts. I cringe to think of the chafing a wet pair of jeans shorts would give after hiking a couple of miles in them!

plecain

Reaction score
I don't wear shorts anymore. The last time I wore them I ended up getting antibiotic shots from the hundreds of black fly bites I acquired.
Lots of people make nylon pants. Cabelas and others make them treated with permethrin to ward off ticks and other nasties. I have a couple shirts treated with permethrin, too.
Underneath I either wear nothing or nylon underpants. Under Armour and many others make them.
I wear long sleeve shirts because I hate sunscreen and burn easily.
If I'm going to be standing around in the sun, like when I'm fishing saltwater, I wear sun gloves. Sometimes also 'face panties' (Buff) if it's really sunny.
To deal with the possibility of a real dunking I keep a full spare set of clothes in the car. It's saved me an uncomfortable trip home a few times.