Fell

Thunderstick

Reaction score
Went fly fishing to the Hiawassee in south eastern TN. Saturday was great caught about 60 trout but at 11am the started generating and had to quit. Sunday returned and about third cast fish on. Standing in 6 inches of water my feet went out and down i went right on a big rock on my ribs. Not sure if they are bruised or broken but wow am i hurting. Next order of business is to spike my boots. First time i fell in 30 years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

clsmith131

Reaction score
That sounds painful! I heard the aluminum bars work really well, but have never tried them myself. I usually wear felt, but still have trouble here and there. I personally fall all the time, but it's usually a controlled one down the bank. I haven't hit the rocks in a long time, I feel for you.

JDR

Reaction score
There isn't much that is more painful than a rib injury. I hope you heal fast, and don't have to cough. If you want better traction, I would suggest you take a look at Rock Treads.

myt1

Reaction score
I'm sorry about your fall.

May I suggest a wading staff.

Custom Wading Staff

I recently purchased the one linked above. I haven't used it yet, but I looks like it will do great.

Previously, I had a wading stick that was much thicker and more heavy duty, but it was also very unwieldy.

I think the thinner diameter will create much less resistance when going through the water.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thunderstick

Sorry to hear about your fall, I fall from time to time, but luckily haven't broken any ribs, at least in a very long time. I had a chest Xray awhile back and the doctor said something about broken ribs, but it was so long ago I can't remember how I did it, but do remember it was darn painful, especially when laughing or coughing. Here is hoping you have a speedy recovery and get some quality studs on your wading boots.

spm

Reaction score
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully, nothing broken.

Get well, soon.
steve

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I have not fallen in years but i did step into what appeared to be a shallow hole of water recently and went in over my head.
I hope you heal fast and have no broken bones.

el jefe

Reaction score
I will look like the Trout Terminator lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Believe me, I've toyed with the idea of wearing my hockey gear to go fishing!! I am fine on a skinny piece of steel on a very slippery surface, but I can't capably walk on land with a little water and rocks.

brownbass

Reaction score
Sorry about your fall. Definitely go with the aluminum bars or Rock Treads. Even if you rarely fish areas with slick surfaces they help. A wading staff wouldn't hurt either. Feel better soon.

Bill

finisher

Reaction score
I fall so often I almost quit wearing waders when it's cold...almost. Heal up quick! The ribs are a painful one.

hambone111

Reaction score
wading staff for me . boots are here and there as i fish a wide variety of water but a wading staff has saved my butt so many times.

heal quick. ive separated one rib in my life time and dont want to repeat that

dennyk

Reaction score
Hope you mend well. Wading staff for me, I don't leave home without it. Up until last year I can't remember the last time I fell and got wet. Last year due to balance issues I went swimmin' 6 times. In deeper faster water I now wear a Stearn's life vest with accessory pockets along with the wading staff. Keep upright!

Denny

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Heal up!

I fell this weekend, but while putting on stocking foot waders in the parking lot. I was standing on a piece of plastic I use to try to protect the neoprene booties from rocks. The plastic piece slipped out from under me and I landed on my wallet. Ouch!

JoJer

Reaction score
Up until this time last year, I'd never fallen in the water. At Silver Creek I stepped off the bank about a foot above the 3"water and my foot went right out from under me. (None of the guide books have ever mentioned how deep and slick the bottom is in Silver Creek.) Muddy, embarrassed, but not hurt. Oddly, I'd thought myself lucky even though I have fallen several times on rocky banks. Mostly, I skinned my knees/ holed my waders. I glad I never dinged my ribs. hope yours heal up quick.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
That can hurt, I don't believe I have fished without a wading staff for a decade, still I can go down every now and then but not as abruptly as without one. And more important I wade much quieter with a staff. Felts with Harbites or regular with hardbites, and those aluminum bars work quite well too.