Orvis Recon 3wt 10ft

Thunderstick

Reaction score
Great rod love the action but the fly line that came on the hydros reel was orvis nymphing line and i was not a fan of it. Any suggestions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thunderstick

Reaction score
Casting was difficult to get the rod to load up. Beadhead nymph seem hard to control. I always have used a weight forward tapered fly line and use that on my 5wt orvis. Wondering if a weight forward tapered float line be ok since i usually use about 14 ft leader/tippit.

el jefe

Reaction score
When I had a nymphing rod--a 10' 3-weight, but different brand--I had a 3-weight line on it. I did switch out to the Airflo nymph line for a while, but that only works for nymphing. Those nymph lines will not overhead cast; for that, I found a standard fly line to be better. To adapt, I tried a 25' leader, so that I had no fly line off the reel when I was nymphing, and that allowed me to use a regular fly line even when Euro-nymphing. If I wanted to go back to fishing dries, I just took off the long leader and put on a standard tapered leader. Those nymph fly lines are not much more than coated mono, level line, and not designed to overhead cast at all.

I am curious to see how you like that Recon overhead casting a regular floating line. I have toyed with the idea of getting another nymph rod, and my criteria this time around will be that it must capably do what a non-specialty nymph rod would do.

Thunderstick

Reaction score
I am curious to see how you like that Recon overhead casting a regular floating line. I have toyed with the idea of getting another nymph rod, and my criteria this time around will be that it must capably do what a non-specialty nymph rod would do.
My buddy has a TFO 10ft 3wt with regular float line. It cast real nice and is easy to work. Thats reason im thinking of making the switch.

pheldozer

Reaction score
if you're using it for tightline nymphing, get rid of the line and replace it with 30 feet of 20# maxima chameleon. it won't really work for dries, but you'll still be able to load it up and get the flies out there if you open up your loop really wide and let the weight of the flies carry them out... like the way a spinning rod works

JasonTX

Reaction score
Orvis sells that outfit with their “Hydros Tactical Nymph” line. It’s an awesome small diameter, fairly level tight line nymph line but sucks for casting any kind of distance. I just bought one for euro nymphing and love it. It is WAY different and should not be confused with their standard nymph line made for indicators and such.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I would use a long euro nymphing leader to eliminate fly line from the equation with that rod, then I would get a 3 weight double-tapered line, or a lighter, presentation style WF line for the occasional times I would use fly line with that rod. But for the tightline nymphing that rod was designed for, fly line is a hindrance. 25-40' of 20# mono as mentioned above, slightly tapered to a sighter with a tippet ring, then however much tippet you need will work great. I use this type of rig for all my shortline/tightline nymphing, even on my 5 weight. It's nice to have the fly line on the spool in case of a hatch, but otherwise the fly line never sees my guides when using such a rig.

JasonTX

Reaction score
Bloomagoo is right. It was designed for that. I have multiple recons of varying weight and length. The 10-3 is a completely different animal. It does what its made to do well. When I’m chucking heavy nymphs any kind of distance and want to use a graphite rod it’s usually with my 10-4.

jfh245

Reaction score
Have used several brands of nymph specific lines with the same problems you've encountered. Currently using a 10' 2wt and a 2wt WF line. After experimenting, I attach 8ft of #20 mono, 20" of bi-color indicator, and 6ft of 5X or 6X tippit. When nymphing with this setup there is no slack in the guides while it casts very well to 40-45 ft. It works with or w/o indicator. I use no splitshot, just the nymph weight. The same setup works on my 10' 3wt with 3wt line. The Recon is a great rod. Hope this helps.