Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
    Blog Entries

Default How many here own / use Jet Outboard Boats?

I've never ask but suspect there may be a few. I log a lot of miles on my jet every year and have become a stickler for preventive maintenance. Every fall without fail I dry start the motor right here in the driveway to expel any water in the cooling system, then I pump the grease to the impeller bearings until I'm pushing nothing but fresh marine grease through the purge tube. That gives me peace of mind that there will not be seal damage due to water in the bearings or seals over the long winter.

Then comes spring; now I do the oil and filter change and throw in a fresh fuel filter under the cowling even though I have a transom mounted water separator / fuel filter. Spark plugs are an every other year concern as they are the Iridium type and good for hundreds of hours..........

Next you have the impeller blades and forcing cone to think about. Are you checking the clearance between the cone and blades with your feeler gauge regularly? Keeping the clearance between .08 and .10" is critical to getting maximum thrust out of the jet.

Last but not least, on a yearly basis you might want to consider removing the foot and impeller to check up inside of the jet tunnel housing and you will find a series of large bolts that secure the entire assembly to the base of your motor. These bolts can and do work loose over time due to vibrations as well as expansion and contraction of temp extremes.

I found loose bolts today while doing some double checking. Regular checking of anything that can happen sometimes prevents it from happening

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes ia_trouter, mcnerney, jeepster II liked this post

Default Re: How many here own / use Jet Outboard Boats?

I own one. Mainly use it for smallmouth fishing in Missouri in the colder months, hardly ever in the summer, so I don't winterize mine at all, just keep using it. I'm far, far behind on maintenance on the 40 hp Evinrude ETec, like 8 or 9 years since I've done anything but keep the oil level full and pump the impeller grease after every use. The thing just keeps on ticking. Doesn't see a whole lot of hours, something like a trip every other week and an hour or less of use on every trip. I know I need to do more maintenance, but I'm just not mechanically inclined and the nearest place to get it serviced is an hour's drive or more away.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Al,

I posted the thread because I've happened upon several people broke down due to something that could have been prevented. With the new technology e Tec motors like you are running your worries are few. The oil change is not applicable for sure. The checking of those bolts I mentioned and impeller wear are always on the radar though.

A large part of my evolving into a motor guy is the distances I cover, short trips are always 20 miles or more and the long ones get into hundreds of miles. I just wanted to give a heads up to those who run jets so they might consider some things maybe not in the forefront every day. My motor is a 90 hp Honda.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

While it did seem we were flying, it is a jet boat. .....

CAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
    While it did seem we were flying, it is a jet boat. .....

CAB
    Good times

The Honda still pushes her the same way topping out between 33 & 34 mph. I just put a new forcing cone in yesterday so I may hit 35 who knows. We have a serious fish deficiency at this time buddy but I'm still hoping for a few. Currently almost every watershed in South Central is at 25% or below the normal numbers for this date. I'm think of it as akin to Atlantic salmon fishing where the game is reduced to locating some fish as opposed to what I'm accustomed to here. Later today I'm headed off to explore some Grayling prospects...………..