Finding Joe Brooks

smoke33

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is interested there is a documentary on the Sportsman’s channel called “Finding Joe Brooks”. It airs Friday (tomorrow) from 7:00PM-8:30PM central time.
Until I saw the preview for it I had never heard of Joe Brooks but I am sure most of you have and wanted to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlennNY

Reaction score
I see it's on the Outdoor Channel by me on Saturday 7:30pm-9pm, DVR set....thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I have it scheduled to record.

Joe Brooks' "Trout Fishing" was one of the very first books I bought. I still have it/

JDR

Reaction score
So much history that I have missed. As I have said before, one of the most captivating aspects of fly fishing is that it has its own, very deep universe. I am lucky to have access to so much new knowledge. Thanks for the tip.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
We were talking about Joe Brooks just yesterday
I was fishing a fiberglass 10wt in the surf and commented to my buddy how much of a workout it was.
He told me that he had once 'handled" Joe Brooks' personal bamboo tarpon rod and you have had to have been "a real man" to fish a rod that heavy !

silver creek

Reaction score
So much history that I have missed. As I have said before, one of the most captivating aspects of fly fishing is that it has its own, very deep universe. I am lucky to have access to so much new knowledge. Thanks for the tip.
There are 2 famous fishers with the last name of "Brooks". Don't confuse the two. One is Joe Brooks

Joe Brooks (fly fisherman) - Wikipedia

The Joe Brooks Story - trailer on Vimeo

YouTube

The other "Brooks" is Charlie Brooks of the Madison River fame and the Brooks nymphing method. He wrote several books including Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout, The Trout and the Stream, and Larger Trout for the Western Fly Fisherman. His forte was nymphing the larger western rivers.

Charles E. Brooks

brownbass

Reaction score
Same here, I loved to read what he wrote in the magazines and I have his Mastering Nymphs book, somewhere around here.
Unfortunately, I don't have cable either.......bummer!
I read all of the outdoor magazines of the time. Outdoor Life. Field & Stream, Sports Afield. I remember him on, I believe, a segment of American Sportsman. I will miss this program as I do not have that channel either on the satellite.

Bill

spm

Reaction score

timd

Reaction score
Thanks looks like a good watch.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I have two of Joes books and they helped me learning how to fly fish way back when. They are Trout Fishing and Fly Fishing. Joe loved fishing the spring creeks in Paradise Valley and both he and Mary are buried next to Nelson’s Spring Creek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thunderstick

Reaction score
Wow just watched it and it was very cool. Never really heard much about him and was nice to see what he did for fishing in general. I use to keep all fish i caught but 15 years ago i starting releasing everything. Glad i do too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cigarsnjeeps

Reaction score
Yeah. I listened to the April Vokey podcast the other day and learned about the documentary, recorded it and watched it this morning. Would have been spectacular to be able to be one of the first to fish the places he fished...

@cigarsnjeeps