Confirmed its broke

Thunderstick

Reaction score
I was at my VA appt. Yesterday and got an x-ray. Broken 6th rib and bruised lung partial collapse. Not bad enough to be hospitalized but to do deep breathing exercises every half hour. If breathing gets painful rush to ER. No fishing 4 to 6 weeks. Dont know if i can wait that long.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bumble54

Reaction score
I was at my VA appt. Yesterday and got an x-ray. Broken 6th rib and bruised lung partial collapse. Not bad enough to be hospitalized but to do deep breathing exercises every half hour. If breathing gets painful rush to ER. No fishing 4 to 6 weeks. Dont know if i can wait that long.

All they did for me was bind me up in bandages to the point where I could only take short breaths. Sleeping is the biggest headache, you end up exhausted through lack of, try and nap in a chair as much as you can, better reclined than laid flat because getting back up again is really painful, it helps I promise.

el jefe

Reaction score
Dang, that stinks. I hated sneezing when my ribs were broken. That time from when the nose first started to tickle, until I ejected that air was filled with terror.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw your original post and now the aftermath of the fall, sorry you are having trouble. Like the poster above me I've had fractured ribs and it makes you very uncomfortable. Get well quick,

Ard

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Like Denny says, why not try fly tying - or rod building? 4 - 6 weeks should be enough time to order the bits, watch some whipping vids while you're waiting, knock up a rod and some flies then return to the river refreshed and re-armed.
I've had a gammy leg for a year now and it's kept me entertained and eager to get going again. If you're at all crafty then it's not difficult to turn out something to be proud of. Good luck with the mending!

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
The broken rib will heal but the bruised lung can go south really quick so i would definitely take it easy and do what the Dr tells you and any problems with it i would head to the ER.Don't second guess it and think ok this is normal.Hope you heal up quick and get back to fishing.

denver1911

Reaction score
Sorry about your injury. Hope it heals well. I’ll bet it is frightful when you feel a sneeze coming :eek: ... at least that was my experience with a similar injury. You’ll be fishing before you know it though.

Thunderstick

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Ive abandoned sleeping in bed and im stuck in my recliner. Thats emotional cause dealing with my injuries and PTSD i spent 5 years in this chair. Hunting and Fly fishing saved my life. I sneezed yesterday and about fainted. Tried to wrap it but made it hurt worse. Just dont know how it will heal cause every time i move it pops in there. I may take up building a rod. I have a fly tying kit but was never very good at it. BigYfly.com is much easier. Lol

huntschool

Reaction score
I just got over broken ribs. Hurt like you kno what obviously. The Dr. did give me some "mothers little helpes" to get by the pain.

That being said, dont mess with this. I have COPD bad an the Dr. said if there was difficulty breathing or blood etc to get my butt to the hospital quick as we could have a puncture or early stage pneumonia. Dont want either of those.....

Hang in there. It will pass. Mine took two weeks before I could breath normally.