Stream Etiquette of Those Not Fishing

catchthefish

Reaction score
I recently fished the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I just fished it close to the road on the TN side. The problem with this was the non fishers. Of the anglers I encountered, we were polite towards each other. None came on water I was on and if I saw an angler, I did not fish on top of them. However, 3 times I was fishing an area (again I stayed close to the road, and would just move my vehicle up each time I had “cleared” an area), non anglers came down within 15 feet of me. I am all for all people enjoying the park, but it threw me off of my game as I was afraid of hooking these individuals and just felt that the people were coming too close and not giving proper space? Anyone else ever have this sort of thing happen, and is there a way to deal with it?

jayr

Reaction score
As a 35+ year veteran of the GSMNP my advice is very simply, get as far away from the roads as you can. I assume you were fishing Little River, correct? Go to the areas, and there are plenty, off of the so called beaten path. Don’t expect the swimmers, picnickers, tubers, etc. to honor you as a fisherman.

catchthefish

Reaction score
jayr,

I was actually right along the streams off of 441. This is a crowded area with sightseeing, but really I was shocked as to how close people came to me. I know it is just off of the road and people want to sightsee but it was frustrating.

Thunderstick

Reaction score
We were at Hiawassee last weekend and took a trip to the Tellico. Every time we started to fish swimmers came and ruined our spot. Its hard not to get mad after all it takes to get your gear on put together your rod reel and snake a line threw the eyes and tie on a fly. After 3 spots ruined we went to hotel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
jayr,

I was actually right along the streams off of 441. This is a crowded area with sightseeing, but really I was shocked as to how close people came to me. I know it is just off of the road and people want to sightsee but it was frustrating.

Sure it’s frustrating, been there done that. This time of the year is not as conducive to fishing as the fall and early spring is when you are close to the road. I cannot begin to tell you all I have seen over the years and from fisherman as well. My advice is to get off the path of least resistance and fish there.

Let’s face it, with in excess of 11 million visitors a year this happens. Especially during the summer.

jayr

Reaction score
We were at Hiawassee last weekend and took a trip to the Tellico. Every time we started to fish swimmers came and ruined our spot. Its hard not to get mad after all it takes to get your gear on put together your rod reel and snake a line threw the eyes and tie on a fly. After 3 spots ruined we went to hotel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Tellico is problematic not only from the swimmers, etc. but also the guys chunking night crawlers. If you really want to fly fish that area hit the wild streams, problem solved.

mikechell

Reaction score
There's no way to avoid it. People, these days, have no consideration for anyone else. It's just an extension of road etiquette and the lack of courtesy towards others. People are just rude and do not see themselves as being "wrong" in any way.

Just more reasons to hate people, in general.

flytie09

Reaction score
Oh yeah.... those streams in GSNP in NC are notorious for non anglers on the river. Frustrating for sure. But we all have a right to public water. Be thankful we have that. As jayr says..... this isn’t changing anytime soon as it’s a major vacation destination. I’d suggest early in the morning or late at night.

ft09

samanich

Reaction score
There are definitely parts of GSMNP with no people at all. 3 years ago when I was in school at Wake Forest, my friend and I hiked 75 miles through there on spring break. The middle 3 days we didn't see a single other person. Weird feeling. Some pristine water through those parts... I hadn't started fly fishing at the time but looking back on the photos every stream was begging to be fished.

karstopo

Reaction score
Fishermen sometimes respect the personal space of other fishermen on the water. Non fishermen never respect the personal space of fishermen on the water. That sums up my experience.

It is what it is. If I’m set up in a spot fishing and the non fishermen start to show up, I know I’m on a short clock. If I want to fish a spot and there’s already a few people there not fishing, I’m probably going to pass on the spot.

If there’s someone with large dogs, especially Labrador retrievers, I can pretty much guarantee those dogs will be in the water directly where I’m fishing in short order.

It’s all good. I like dogs and people. If I really want to fish, I try to find places off the beaten path. Otherwise, I’ll just be silly guy standing in the water people and dog watching.

rc51sport

Reaction score
All the delayed harvest rivers that I pass on my way to the smaller streams have all turned into swimming holes this month. Was a shock to me, being my first summer fly fishing.
After a slow day fishing a creek on friday I decided to hike down to a delayed harvest river to see if anything was left. About 2 minutes later a minivan pulls up, 4 kids jump out and run right into the river right next to me. Dad then gets out and has the guts to ask if I'm having any luck!! Thank goodness I wasn't seriously wanting to fish there.

JDR

Reaction score
How are non-fishers supposed to know proper stream etiquette if they are not taught? I lived for over 65 years knowing nothing about fishing or stream etiquette because I didn't know anyone who fished. Once though, when I was much younger I was enjoying an afternoon interlude with a lovely young lady. A fisherman showed no respect for our space when he came sloshing past the little cove where we thought we could find some privacy. I guess this thing cuts both ways.

rc51sport

Reaction score
How are non-fishers supposed to know proper stream etiquette if they are not taught? I lived for over 65 years knowing nothing about fishing or stream etiquette because I didn't know anyone who fished. Once though, when I was much younger I was enjoying an afternoon interlude with a lovely young lady. A fisherman showed no respect for our space when he came sloshing past the little cove where we thought we could find some privacy. I guess this thing cuts both ways.
To me, I feel this is where common sense and common courtesy kicks in. If I see someone fishing I keep my distance, if I see people swimming I keep my distance.
I feel like people should know that swimming with sharp hooks floating in the water is a bad idea. I would never throw a line in the water where people are swimming.
I'm not really bothered, I find it humorous, somewhat ironic. I would much rather see kids having fun and enjoying their summer and the weather than worry about fishing there but I think respect and distance should be given both ways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I had someone standing behind me the other day.
She said that she'd never seen anyone fly fish before and was fascinated.
She had lots of questions about the difference between fly fishing and "regular fishing" that I tried to answer, and this went on for maybe half an hour.
Didn't bother me one bit.

bumble54

Reaction score
The reservoir I fish/used to, has been promoted as a walkers paradise, I simply cannot fish there anymore because of walkers standing behind to watch, interrupting me to ask stupid questions about my sanity, dogs retrieving sticks thrown into the water for them, poachers, kids paddling, stone throwers, dogs running loose and urinating on your gear. Signs say "keep to the path" and "dogs to be kept on a lead at all times", "clean up after your dog", "no swimming/paddling", no one take a blind bit of notice and there's zero enforcement.
All of which put's me at odd's with the solitude I seek in fishing.

tomilg

Reaction score
It's not always stream etiquette, but beach etiquette as well.

Two weeks ago we were fishing for Bones and Jacks along a popular beach just south of Playa Del Carmen. I was casting to a school of big Bones about 20 feet away, when two italian tourists who were watching me cast also spottted the school of Bonefish. As I'm stripping, the fish are following my fly and getting closer, and the tourist begin following the bonefish, less than 30 feet away from me and the school.

They did this times until I yelled at them to stop and asked if they noticed that I was fishing (and had been in the same spot all morning). They apologized and moved on......perhaps they have never seen a fisherman, but more than likely, they were just oblivious to their surroundings.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I know my local water traffic enough to know if I am going to fish in solitude, or have the opportunity to meet a few people. I find most of them have no clue how much space I desire to swing a fly or back cast. It is rarely intentional rudeness IMO. Maybe it's just the Midwest but it's pretty laid back on the water here. People are fascinated with the novelty of a fly fisherman here, so I answer questions until they are tired of asking while still fishing. When I want real solitude I know I need to be prepared to perspire a little to get it. It's public water so I do what I need to do.

But 14 year old jetskiers on Musky water is different. I want to stick a 12" bucktail with multiple 5/0 hooks in in their butt when they fly by lol. :)

And V-8 air boats in Alaska. There is no higher level of serenity wrecking on smallish water. It's like fishing on a drag strip.

myt1

Reaction score
Fishermen sometimes respect the personal space of other fishermen on the water. Non fishermen never respect the personal space of fishermen on the water. That sums up my experience.

It is what it is. If I’m set up in a spot fishing and the non fishermen start to show up, I know I’m on a short clock. If I want to fish a spot and there’s already a few people there not fishing, I’m probably going to pass on the spot.

If there’s someone with large dogs, especially Labrador retrievers, I can pretty much guarantee those dogs will be in the water directly where I’m fishing in short order.

It’s all good. I like dogs and people. If I really want to fish, I try to find places off the beaten path. Otherwise, I’ll just be silly guy standing in the water people and dog watching.
I was hoping someone would bring up the dog issue.

Personally, I don't think they belong in the wilderness, certaianly not off a leach, yet it seems a large number of dog owners are convinced they are somehow entitled and their dog is special and doesn't need to be on a leach.

More than a few fishing expeiences have been ruined for me by a dog that came traipsing into the water at my feet; and off in the distance I hear: "Don't worry, he's friendly, he won't bite."

Maybe if you are in a boat, and you keep your dog in your boat then it is okay. Or if you own the lake or river you are fishing on, then do what you like, but if you are on public land it is my opinion that you should leave your dog at home.

I like dogs, I'm just not a dog person, and I think there are times and places where it just isn't appropriate to have them around, particularly if you are a self entitled dog owner and you think your dog is special and the rules don't apply to you.

Last edited:

rc51sport

Reaction score

Personally, I don't think they belong in the wilderness, certaianly not off a leach, yet it seems a large number of dog owners are convinced they are somehow entitled and their dog is special and doesn't need to be on a leach.

More than a few fishing expeiences have been ruined for me by a dog that came traipsing into the water at my feet; and off in the distance I hear: "Don't worry, he's friendly, he won't bite."

Maybe if you are in a boat, and you keep your dog in your boat then it is okay. Or if you own the lake or river you are fishing on, then do what you like, but if you are on public land it is my opinion that you should leave your dog at home.

I like dogs, I'm just not a dog person, and I think there are times and places where it just isn't appropriate to have them around, particularly if you are an self entitled dog owner and you think your dog is special and the rules don't apply to you.
That just happened to me recently. The dog even stood right next to me and gave me a shower when he shook. I am a dog person though so lucky that didn't bother me a bit. I was more annoyed with the owners yelling at the dog.
I probably should have been upset about the dog but I just like dogs more than I like people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score

I like dogs, I'm just not a dog person, and I think there are times and places where it just isn't appropriate to have them around, particularly if you are an self entitled dog owner and you think your dog is special and the rules don't apply to you.

As for dogs in a National Park, I know here in the GSMNP there are only two trails that dogs can be in and that is with a leash. Other than those two specific trails dogs are not allowed, period. That being said, I cannot tell you how many dogs I do see on other trails and I usually go up and inform the owners as they can be cited and fined for it. Most simply say they didn’t know. I did inform one lady with a Yorky and she informed me it was a service dog........:rolleyes: