If you could only have one rod combo for the rest of your life, what would you pick?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
1 rod setup, for the rest of your life.... What are you going with? (Length, WT, brand, line, reel, etc)

dennyk

Reaction score
One set up for the rest of my life. I'd have to stick with my Fenwick Feralite FF807. I'd match it up with my Hatch 5+ with a SA Mastery MPX 7wt WF line. I also have an extra spool with a SA Sonar 7wt sink tip line. Leaders & tippits I usually make myself.

That should get me by the next 30 or 40 years.

Denny

eure

Reaction score
Sensible head - Loop Opti Stream 905 with a Nautilus FWX. It's my current river or windy day outfit, it's versatile but a bit heavy for the streams I do love to fish. If I was forced to have one rod then versatility is a good thing.

Heart over head - Epic 764 with a Hardy Duchess. It's a spectacular dry fly rod that's a wonderful fit for my local streams but not as versatile as the loop. The Hardy reel is just damn sexy and I love click pawl reels.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Can't have one would have to pick fresh or salt...Salt 10 wt TCX Abel Super 9 Wulff 10 wt TT; Fresh 7 wt RPL+ Abel Super 6 Sci 7 Trout

omas

Reaction score
I would have my 9' 5wt Radian with my Nautilus X reel. I can do a lot of things with that rod. Decent in close, great at medium and long distances, can fight the wind, and feels great with a fish on. It seems to be the prefect rod for most of the fishing I do.
Wait a minute, why do I have all these other rods and reels?

plecain

Reaction score
I have a 000 wt. rod on the low end and an 11 wt. on the high end.
The lengths range from 5 ft. to 13 1/2 ft.

I guess I'd pick something in the middle - and I have just the rod:

8'6" 4 wt. Sage ONE

As for reels - one of the small Lamson's.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
If I had to pick one . . . my Winston GVX 9 ft. 5 wt. with my Ross Evolution LT reel spooled with either Rio Gold or Airflo River and Stream line. Or almost any trout Airflo line.

el jefe

Reaction score
Sensible head - Loop Opti Stream 905 with a Nautilus FWX. It's my current river or windy day outfit, it's versatile but a bit heavy for the streams I do love to fish. If I was forced to have one rod then versatility is a good thing.

Heart over head - Epic 764 with a Hardy Duchess. It's a spectacular dry fly rod that's a wonderful fit for my local streams but not as versatile as the loop. The Hardy reel is just damn sexy and I love click pawl reels.
Interesting. I am building a 476 Epic right now, the new Fastglass II. In Salsa, of course.

timmah

Reaction score
My TFO 7'6" 3wt, Okuma SLV reel spooled with Rio Mainstream. Or the Cortland 8 and a half foot 5wt with Okuma Sierra reel and SA floating line. Both equally fun to cast, both equally fun to catch fish from the local river, neither cost an arm or leg to acquire.

SkipS

Reaction score
Easy choice,my Scott 888/3 Heliply rod and J Ryall reel.Add a Wulff SWF line and I could do all the fishing I want.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I'd pick my Sage One 697. And large arbor reel with a good drag. A Sage Spectrum would be nice but the 2250 gets it done. SA MPX and a Sonar triple density sinking line in 4ips. With a nice selection of leaders, that rig covers works for trout, smallmouth, and carp. It tightlines tiny nymphs on a long leader well enough, lands a dry-fly with enough delicacy to get by on my water, and hucks meat better than most rods I've used. I'd be wishing it was a 5 weight on the trout stream during the summer months though, but most of the time that would fit the bill just fine. Not perfect for anything, but good at everything.

desmobob

Reaction score
I hate it when folks pick more than one for a "pick just one" question, but a lot of us fish fresh and salt water. Since the question didn't specify fresh or salt, I'm going to use the loophole to list two rigs. ;)

Fresh water: My old Phillipson fiberglass 7'6" 6wt with a J.W. Young Beaudex narrow-spool click-and-pawl reel would probably cover the range of panfish to trout to bass pretty well.
Salt water: My trusty Orvis T3 9' 9wt and Orvis DXR 9/10 reel will handle most of the fish I chase in the salt.

Tight lines,
Bob