Waders and Water Shoes

Simba08

Reaction score
I'm curious what the concerns would be, if any, of going with a kayaking/canoeing water shoe (specifically, the pair linked below) to use with a pair of stocking foot waders instead of actual wading boots. The water shoes are made for the same environment that wading boots are designed for, but with some differences in activities in mind. I am a budding fly angler but also a canoeist (also on a budget) and am wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone here, or if there is a critical reason to buy a separate pair of wading boots (I will be most likely getting these water shoes either way). I live in high altitude Colorado and already have a pair of boot foot neoprene waders for the colder months. I am just looking for a setup for the warmer months and will buy some breathable stocking foot waders soon. Any insight from any experienced mountain fly fishers who take the time to read about the linked water shoes and watch the short video is greatly appreciated!

NRS Men's Crush Water Shoe at nrs.com

YouTube

Thanks!

jayr

Reaction score
Two things that readily appear to me is ankle support and also quite a bit of the waders booty will be exposed. Whether that matters or not, don’t really know except for the waters and wading I do, I need as much ankle support as I can get. I would also be concerned with so much of the booty being exposed as I fish a lot of waters with sticks, logs, sharp rocks, etc.

My .02 worth.

patrick62

Reaction score
That shoe might work okay, but there's a reason anglers like felt and studs etc. Any kind of moss or slime and those things will slip, I guarantee it.

Plus to accomodate the wader bootie you'll have go a size up at least, which renders them null and void for use without waders.

I appreciate the budget problem. Check around Sierra Trading Post, eBay. You'll find wading boots that are closeouts and relatively cheap.

dennyk

Reaction score
I'm not at all familiar with the shoes, I wear boots over my wader bootys as well as with wet wading socks. What I am familiar with is proper sizing. Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you go up at least 2 shoe sizes for a comfortable fit. It is not at all enjoyable when you can't move your toes in your footwear.

Denmny

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Chota makes very good (and affordable) boots for just this purpose. I have used a pair of these for years for both canoeing and as my wading boot with waders and with only socks:

Quetico Trekker – ChotaOutdoors

I'll need a new pair in a year or two and will likely upgrade to these:

CANEY FORK WADING BOOT – ChotaOutdoors

Both give good ankle support and are good portaging boots as well.

Both also have inserts that you remove when wearing with waders to adjust for sizing.

flav

Reaction score
You certainly could use them but my guess is you'd quickly want to go buy a pair of boots. The low tops wouldn't work well with gravel guards to keep sand and gravel out and the side port holes would also let gravel in. Gravel inside your shoes will wear pin holes in your wader's neoprene booties in no time. I would also think the soles might grip well on the wet bottom of a canoe, but they're not designed to grip on algae covered rocks.

jfh245

Reaction score
Underwater obstructions, debris, moss covered rocks, and slick clay and mud probably dictate a more specific wading setup. Trips and falls are tough on the body and expensive equipment. Winter fishing dictates neoprene, but the balance of the year (with budget in mind) I just use an old pair of L L Bean walking ducks loaded with studs and low cut socks. Cinched tightly, there's no need for gravel guards and their tread is great for traction while the studs solve the mossy rocky bottoms. They're also great for shoveling snow and ice in winter. Thanks.

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
... if there is a critical reason to buy a separate pair of wading boots (I will be most likely getting these water shoes either way).
There are also many good reasons to get a good canoeing boot if you are at all serious about canoeing. Those shoes you are thinking about look like they would be fine for rafting or other water play where you never leave the water and don't have to worry about any back country challenges. But they will be terribly inadequate for any portaging you might find yourself doing. The video is typical NRS. I would never wear those shoes for the rock hopping they are doing. Good way to bust an ankle.

In the CO mountains, you may find yourself portaging your canoe from lake to lake, or long hikes wearing the canoe as a hat to get to a nice mountain lake, or portaging from watershed to watershed. Get yourself a decent pair of canoeing boots.

Shwaggy

Reaction score
A concern I would have in addition to the points already mentioned is gravel and sand getting in between your shoe and stockingfoot and prematurely wearing the wader.
I recently got my first serious pair of waders, the G3 guide, and was having this problem trying to use old running shoes with them.
I quickly ordered a pair of Korkers darkhorse and man I love them already. Worth the price of admission.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Canyoneering boots by 5.10.

Don't have to worry about my toes getting poked because of the design, and the sole is some alien type of invention that sticks to anything....the neoprene/drain through designs make it a real water boot.

Once i bought it, I'll never look back. I'm a polar bear, so i rarely wear waders and wading boots, so wet wading is my go to.

The Canyoneer model has been discontinued by 5.10 (ever since Adidas bought them out) but I continue using mine for the past 3 years, and can't wait till I can find another pair on eBay. The best investment I've made when it came to fly fishing.

MarsB

Reaction score
^^^
I had the Canyoneer by 5.10 as well, I used them for whitewater steep creeking. I ended up selling mine because they were a bit too tight in the bow of my kayak, but they are bombproof, have the climbing grade sticky rubber darkshadow mentioned, and would be an awesome wet wading boot and canoeing shoe. Now that I am getting back into fly fishing, I kind of regret getting rid of them!

Simba08

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the informative responses! That was just the type of information I was looking for. It sounds like a dedicated wading boot is the way to go.

james orth

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I purchased Vibram five fingers for boating and fishing and hiking. The vibram is perfect for wading. It allow my feet to breath in warmer month. There is no need of neoprene wader in summer. I just use my short and vibram for fishing and wading. But in winter, I just wear this water shoes over waterproof wader socks. Water shoes are affordable, breathable and easy to dry than wading boots. For more satisfaction visit it

mmorris56

Reaction score
I purchased Vibram five fingers for boating and fishing and hiking. The vibram is perfect for wading. It allow my feet to breath in warmer month. There is no need of neoprene wader in summer. I just use my short and vibram for fishing and wading. But in winter, I just wear this water shoes over waterproof wader socks. Water shoes are affordable, breathable and easy to dry than wading boots. For more satisfaction visit it
I have a pair of Five Fingers and had some minor issues. One, they didn’t fit an oddly shaped foot. My stubby little toe doesn’t fit into the pocket and the 4th toe is barely in there (doesn’t effect the performance one bit but it does feel a bit awkward on my feet). Secondly, some rocks with a more jagged edge tended to hurt a bit when stepped on. Again, not a huge deal but stepping on those sneaky rocks is an unpleasant surprise. I ordered a pair of neoprene socks from Cabelas. I just put on a sock, the bootie and then my wading boot. They come with gravel guards as well and are very inexpensive.