The School of Trout

Status
Not open for further replies.

knotjoe

Reaction score
You actually have to apply for this and submit reasons for wanting to take it.

We should follow this a bit and see if they actually get a full house. Wouldn't surprise me if they did, but I would be surprised if anyone admitted to it.

Reaction score
You don’t even get your own room (double occupancy) and are limited to two beers after dinner. Nice area and facilities though with good people running it.

WIflyguy1

Reaction score
No thanks- the flyfishing school hosted by my local TU chapter was more than adequate at 2-3% the cost... and the home cooked meals were fantastic! I am a fan of Tom Rosenbauer’s— but I will just stick to reading his books and listening to his podcast for free.

flav

Reaction score
I see a lot of classes of these types offered by well known fly shops every year and they always fill up. This one is cheap compared to some of the multi day classes out there.

flytie09

Reaction score
Part of the joy of any sport is learning all of the lingo, tricks and techniques along the way. Isn’t it? Reading, observing, talking to people, experimenting, traveling........

To fork over $8k to take a crash course to learn fly fishing just blows my mind away. At least offer an open bar for larceny sakes.

It’s really not that hard folks.... you’re waving a stick around with a fly on the other end. With a whole lotta mumbo jumbo in between.

“The greatest teacher, failure is.” - Yoda

Last edited:

MarsB

Reaction score
I see a lot of classes of these types offered by well known fly shops every year and they always fill up. This one is cheap compared to some of the multi day classes out there.
More than $7K? Wow!

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
Not to throw fuel on an inferno, I am going, and am really looking forward to it. I will post a 'review' when it's over (2nd week of October)

Jth

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
I think it will be great but at those prices, it should be.

I've spoken about my friend Jim Greenlee who was very wealthy. His method of learning to fish saltwater was to hire a Florida Key's guide for an entire summer and rent a home in the keys for the summer. I'm sure it cost him tens of thousands for that summer.

I think that would be my method of learning to fly fish. Hire a casting instructor plus a guide that is a good teacher and over the course of a summer, lessons and trips to learn to cast and fish. Learning to fly fish is best taught in spurts with time to practice and fish in between so the lessons stick. I'm sure the teaching will be great in the week long course but it can't be absorbed over that time and I think most of it will be lost.

If they made a DVD of the entire course and that was included, that DVD set would be the way to actually absorb the information.

finisher

Reaction score
So many paths to the same destination... Some pricey and quick, some just pricey, some cheap and slow and lots of dead ends. It's all about the journey and the path that suits you. I personally enjoy those ah-ha moments of self discovery and searching for tidbits of info to solve problems that I encounter along the way. Hard to put a price on it. Besides, time is worth infinitely more than money.

bob3700

Reaction score
I am not sure that schools are a cost as much as they are an investment. That said u can get ur education at a community college or an Ivy League university. The cost is certainly different but the end result may be almost the same. Pay ur money n take ur choice.

flytie09

Reaction score
There is no price tag for mastery of anything. If this floats your boat and you have this kind of disposable cash.....sail away. I would much rather see one does their own research and learn certain things in spurts...not all in one week. The retention will be 10% at best.

I'm sure it's great, beautiful, awesome company...yada yada yada.... but come on. Book a guide and learn a few things that way. $300. Take some casting lessons.
Make some screw ups......

People want instant gratification today. Like hold my Martini... I'm gonna learn this fly fishing thing.

Silly. But what do I know. Carry on.

ft09

Status
Not open for further replies.