Let’s talk rods.

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
So let’s talk about a well rounded rod arsenal, for a lowly blue collar carpenter without a ton of money.

What I fish for and in:
Small tight trout streams on the east coast. Low branches, narrow streams, small pools and ruffles. Anyone familiar with beaver creek, hunting creek, the gunpowder river, you know what I’m talking about. I also on occasion fish small trout rivers like the savage river and north branch of the Potomac for trout as well. Aside from trout, I get out on small to large rivers for bass and panfish, like the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers. I’ll hit a lake here and there but not often. I also have started exploring salt water and Chesapeake bay fishing and would like to do more of it for sure.

What I’ve got:
7’9” 2wt sage graphite II. Nice rod for the real tight creeks, hunting sunnies, and some small local ponds. I’ll go for bass on occasion with it and it’s a blast to fish. I like the size and weight, it’s a pretty slow and smooth rod, but it can be kinda tough to cast (that’s me though, not the rod).

8’6” 5wt LL Bean streamlight ultra. Medium fast action, closer to fast, that I use for trout, lakes, and river bass fishing. If a trout stream is a little bigger or I want to throw streamers this is my guy. I like the action, though it is a bit fast for my stroke, and it is not terribly sensitive. I feel like I miss strikes with it that I would notice with the 2wt, but I think that’s probably normal for 2wt vs 5wt.

9’ 8wt Moonshine rods outcast. I use this thing for big rivers, boat fishing on those big rivers, the bay, saltwater, and any time I want to throw some big flies. For me that’s bass fishing 90% of the time. I’ve thought about trying for Muskie with this rod as well. I like the fast action. It’s a stiff rod but very responsive and sensitive. Can cast a mile with it.

I’m looking to add another rod this year. Currently I am debating a long nymph rod, or a longer slower 5wt. I don’t have a ton to spend, have one spare reel (old Martin model 70 I just took off by 5wt but is still functional) and want to round out my options a bit more. I was doing a lot of nymph fishing this past winter with no success. I think that with a longer rod that is made to nymph (tight line BTW, tried “strike indicators” but bobber fishing just isn’t for me) I may do better. I also am not in love with my current 5wt. It was my first serious rod, and it’s served me well, but now that I am a bit more experienced it doesn’t suit me as well as I’d like.

So what do you guys think? The 3wt nymph rod, or the slower slightly longer 5wt? Or something else? I know lots of folks have a grip of all different weights and lengths, but I’m very much a budget conscious fisherman, and hate to have a rod I only use now and then. I’ll add more, sure, but for now one more rod is all I want.

unicoiboy

Reaction score
Why not split the diffrence with a 10' 4wt? A 4wt is enough to throw streamers as well as heavy bobber rigs if you have to, but will also do a pretty good job of tossing dries and euro nymphing rigs.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Why not split the diffrence with a 10' 4wt? A 4wt is enough to throw streamers as well as heavy bobber rigs if you have to, but will also do a pretty good job of tossing dries and euro nymphing rigs.
Agreed. That's what I would snag in your shoes, or perhaps a 6 weight. But since you specified a tightline rod, a 10' 4 weight will be the most versatile.

flytie09

Reaction score
I would suggest visiting one of the local fly shops. Go in there an explain what you're after, your budget, your skill level and they might be able to get your hands on a few rods to sample for the day. If nothing else, it might give you some better insight on what you're looking for.

I could list fly rod manufacturers and place to find deals.....but this isn't fair to you, since a fly rod is very much a personal choice.

A fiberglass rod might be what you're after if you're looking for a little slower action than the light speed graphites out there. Deals on vintage Fenwick glass rods are out there....but there are newer glass rods made today that are nothing like their older kin that might better fit the bill.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
I don’t really have a resource to try things other than waiting for demonday events or guide service rods.

Another question, is there a notable difference between 9 and 10 feet for nymphing? I’m guessing yes. I have looked at 4wt 10’ rods, but I wonder if 4wt might be a bit much for the average size fish around here. There are lunkers for sure, but I don’t tend to catch them.

flytie09

Reaction score
I have used a 8.5' 5 wt for years without complaint and have used it for dries, nymphs and hucking smaller streamers. I personally don't own a 4 WT. My 7 1/2' 3 WT is for chasing trout up the bluelines. I like a shorter rod for these smaller creeks if there is tons of brush around like rhododendron and the sort.

I do own a 10' 5 WT that I will break out if I'm high sticking or going for extra distance with my dry flies on larger water for trout. It's easier to huck the bobber rig too and yes it is easier to control mending at longer distances. But honestly in VA these instances are rare and usually not necessary.

Now for larger local tailwaters.....yes I will pack my longer rod in the event I think the fish are extra sneaky that day and I need to change things up.

I'm sorry to hear you don't have the opportunity to wiggle some sticks around at a local or somewhat local fly shop. The annual tour of East Coast fly shows in the spring is another great way to test out other rods. Doesn't help you now...but maybe you can wait until then?

Here's Your 2018 Consumer Fly-Fishing Show Schedule! - Orvis News

Maybe others can provide you with some good tips on how to test out some rods on a budget.

ft09

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
That’s a good tip about the shows. I’m in no hurry to spend money really. Just planning ahead a little is all. From here on in until fall I’ll probably be bass fishing anyway.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I don’t really have a resource to try things other than waiting for demonday events or guide service rods.

Another question, is there a notable difference between 9 and 10 feet for nymphing? I’m guessing yes. I have looked at 4wt 10’ rods, but I wonder if 4wt might be a bit much for the average size fish around here. There are lunkers for sure, but I don’t tend to catch them.
I have a 10' 4wt, and it feels more like what a 4.5wt or a light 5wt would feel like. From what I have read, when you get into longer rods, 10 feet and up, it may say 4wt on the rod, but it's actually a little heavier. My 10' 4wt does feel a bit beefier than my 904's.

So I say go get a 10' 3wt and you'll be set for what you want it for. And who knows, you may catch one of the big ones someday, and will be happy that 3wt is a little beefy for a 3wt rod.

huntschool

Reaction score
Given your current quiver...... I would strongly suggest a 10' 4wt rod. Wife and I each have one, each from a different mfg. I can throw just about anything I want to with mine (dry, streamer, wet, dropper set up, indicator) with a true weight 4 line. I usually carry two spools for my reels so I can change things up a bit if I want/need to. The extra "reach" can come in handy in mending and casting really long leaders, and certainly bringing a fish to net. I will admit that one needs a few casts to get on track after changing from a shorter rod....... Part of the game.

There are a number of medium action 10' 4's out there to choose from, from some top tier rods down into the mid range and all will do the job if you do yours.

Truth be told I like 4wt stuff a lot. That being said I am considering a 10' 6wt for some specialized high water work.

clouserguyky

Reaction score

I feel your pain about not being able to try rods in your region. There are a very few fly shops in my state. It's good you're not in a hurry, because it gives you plenty of time to research and potentially make a trip to the nearest shop if you need to.

The biggest difference between a 9' and 10' rods performance is in reach. A 10' rod can stay tight to a pair of nymphs or to an indicator for a much greater different than a 9' rod. Take a look at silvercreek's post here to see why. We are having a similar discussion in that thread.

akriverrat

Reaction score
Until I saw all these 10' 4 wt recommendations, I was gonna say a 9' 4 wt medium to medium fast rod. I have a 10' 3/4 no-name rod that only weighs 3 oz and throws a 5 wt line across a 55 ft stream easily. It is heavier in hand than an 8'6" or 9 ft would be for sure but you do get a seemingly disproportionate increase in line mending ability for each 6 or 12 inches you add. After using that rod a lot for trout out west last summer I came away thinking that a 10 ft 4 wt could certainly be considered the "standard" trout rod for many because of its effectiveness for nymphing and can still throw dries and really control them on the water once there, which outweighs its slight disadvantage in casting accuracy to me. Also good from float tube or kayak/canoe on lakes. If you cast some and compare vs 9 ft you might decide that you want a bit lighter for all day use and it would also do plenty of things for you (i.e. you would fill a niche in your quiver and get your money's worth from it or the 10 ft). The limber 10 ft rod is a very good fighting tool as well. You can play larger fish on the rod very easily without breaking tippets For the record, I own, 8 ft, 8.5 ft and then go straight to 10 ft rods for trout. I also own a 12' tenkara, which made me buy the 10 footer.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I bought myself a 10' 4 weight because I thought I needed it, but ended up selling it. Nothing wrong with the rod, it just wasn't something that sang to me. So, I'm not the guy to recommend an overlength rod.

What I would first do is to figure out why that 2-weight doesn't work for you. Hint: It is almost certainly the line you're using. That's a good rod overall, and should be a great small-stream rod for dries and nymphs. and smaller - size 10 and smaller - streamers.

Then, I'd find the perfect 9' 5 weight. Not to replace your 8'6" rod, which, as you said, is good for streamers (and bugs for smaller bass). It is, however, a good overall rod to have. Spend some serious time to get the right rod and line for it, and you'll want to kick your wife out of bed and sleep with your fly rod instead. It doesn't have to be expensive - there have been plenty of forums discussing low- and mid-price rods, that will meet your needs.

So dang, there are not one, not two, but three Pleasant Valleys in Maryland, so I can't help you, but there should be a fly shop to invest the time to visit within 50 miles one weekend. Bring that 2-weight, and then tell them what you are looking for in a different rod, and they'll fix you up.

pleasantvalley

Reaction score
Oh I love that 2 weight. It definitely works for small streams with fries and wets, but it’s pretty short for nymphs without a bobber. Heck I throw little streamers and poppers with that thing all the time. I probably fish that rod most because it’s good for just about any after work stop I might make. All my rods are pretty great for what I use them for (or at least I think so). I guess I’m just thinking of filling the void I have for a rod with a little more reach than what I have that can still cast a dry well, or even a small streamer. I don’t like taking more than one rod unless going out on a boat for a while, and even then I don’t usually take more than one, unless it’s a particularly fishy time on the Potomac where I’d want both the 8 and the 5z

patrick62

Reaction score
Check out Shu Fly's 10 foot 4 weight. I bought it a couple years ago and it quickly became one of my favorites. Inexpensive, too.

desmobob

Reaction score
Time to try a 'glass rod! How about a nice 6wt for warm water use? Or a 7wt? They're fun to cast, relaxing, and you don't have to spend a ton of money. You can find some of the old classic glass rods with great reputations for very little money, or even pick up an Orvis Superfine Glass for less $$ than their graphite offerings.

I tried one glass rod this spring and now own five (keep in mind that three of them are Eagle Claw Featherlights at a whopping $26 each...). I have a new Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt and an old-but-wonderful Phillipson 7'6" 6wt. (And those cheap Eagle Claw rods are plenty fun and functional and get used regularly.)

Tight lines,
Bob