What did you lose today (or another time)

Matt4.0

Reaction score
How about another spinoff on the “what have you” threads...

Couple weeks ago when fishing the Mile High 25 tournament I somehow lost an Allen Atlas with 1 day old SA full sink line line on it . It was hectic weekend involving several bodies of water spread across 350 miles so even with a couple bunches of where it could have fallen out during loading/unloading there’s still no telling. Luckily Justin from Allen gave me a good deal on it at the show in January, but it still stings and makes me mad at myself for my apparent carelessness.

karstopo

Reaction score
Lost a box of saltwater flies once upon a time. Not sure exactly where or how. Several months later, I found a bigger box of saltwater flies on a deserted, uninhabited and remote shoreline at midnight while looking for flounder to gig. Best I can determine, the box flipped out of a passing boat and drifted up to the shoreline.

I made an effort via a regional forum to reunite the found flies with their owner. No one ever claimed them. I ended up reverse engineering one pattern from the found box and tied up a few copies. The pattern turned out to be a pretty good redfish fly. Many of the other flies in the box were really big and looked like Tarpon patterns. Besides some clousers and crab flies, many of the other flies in the box were new to me and unusual, but I haven’t tried very many.

JoJer

Reaction score
Somewhere between Minam, Or and Boise, Id returning from a steelhead trip, I lost a pair of binoculars. Bushnells, that I'd cammoed with an air brush. Thought they may have been left in the guides' Suburban, but he says no. May have fallen out of the truck when I stopped at a rest area to use the phone. Gone.

huntschool

Reaction score
Ashamed to admit it but........ the wife's 4/5 wt fly rod. It was an old top end Cabela's rod that just disappeared from the time we got to the take out until we got home. I remember putting it in the tube and thought I put it in the truck but I guess I did not get it there....... Never turned up.

All ended up good as she got a Winston 4 wt GVX Select as a replacement and then a 6wt and then an 8 wt ......... I guess you know what I mean.

GlennNY

Reaction score
I got my gear together to go out and couldn't find my net. I realized that I left it in the creek the day before. Got to the spot and there it was on the bank. So I lost and found. Love fishing them small blue lines.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mka

Reaction score
My wife gave me some nice Abel nippers for my birthday...they're resting on the river bottom somewhere up at the San Juan.

ddb

Reaction score
Somewhere hanging over me is a cloud into which solid things I handle dematerialize. Honest.

Reach for a hammer I just put down -- GONE!

Fly tying tools that just left my hand -- GONE!

A 7mm 'beater' deer rifle -- GONE!

Car keys --GONE!

A much cherished Dave Lewis custom 5 wt rod -- GONE!

And I mean GONE -- never to be seen again.

Having too much stuff is one big factor but still....

Someday there will be a cloud burst and all that gear will drop on me out of the blue.

ddb

patrick62

Reaction score
Left my boots at the pulloff. Next morning they were gone. I was irked. I spent a lot of time putting those sheet metal screws in the soles. Grrr.

rc51sport

Reaction score
My socks and underwear every time my wife does laundry.

Left a thermometer in the creek last week. Lost a decent set of hemos on their first trip out. Lost, then found my sunglasses (a month later).
Lost a rod that I brought as a spare, had it in tube strapped to my backpack. Got caught on a tree and ripped the straps off, didn't notice until I got another 3.5 miles up the creek. Retraced my steps and luckily found it on hike out.

el jefe

Reaction score
Not me, but my dad in the last two weeks has lost the Abel nippers I gave him--which he probably rightly assumes are with the rest of his unfound lanyard--and two pairs of forceps. The forceps were lost 30 minutes apart in the San Juan. He says he dropped them by simply letting them go after using them, not being tethered to his lanyard any longer (see first sentence). Oddly, he never looked at his feet for the forceps, standing in the slow, shallow, clear water where he is comfortable and feels safe. I guess that's how it goes when you're fly fishing at 80 years old, and I hope I get to the point where I am losing stuff in a river simply because I'm getting old.

driftless22

Reaction score
Fly box. Having learned my lesson, I now put my name and phone number on my fly boxes. A variation on this thread....”What is the dumbest thing that you've ever done?”

A few years ago, we did a float down a fairly remote river. At least 8 hours, no take outs,no cell phone service. About two bends down the river, I realized that I had forgotten my rain jacket. The temp was in the upper 50s, windy, numerous rain showers in the area. During the entire trip, we got sprinkled upon once. About 10 minutes after we reached the take out, it poured. I was very lucky, and really stupid.

rfb700

Reaction score
Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout
I've lost several nets to trees over the years. Also left my rod and reel leaning up against a fence while I struggled out of my waders and packed up the truck. Didn't notice it in the shade of the overhanging trees as I pulled away. At the hotel while unloading gear I discovered my error and drove the 45 minutes back but it was long gone.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I *almost* lost my net today. Our streams are pretty high right now, but the itch is bad and I don't have time to float these days, so I went ahead and wade fished this morning. In these conditions, much of the best fishing is found where there is swift, deep water, lined with softer eddies. I was fishing my favorite local stream for smallmouth this morning, and I was standing waist deep in a fast run, drifting a big tequeely streamer along the seams in the softer pockets along the water willow, hammering the smaller fish, but still searching for a fish to break 12".

Because the water was so high, I had my waist packed cinched around my upper torso in an attempt to keep my pack dry. After fishing the seams for a while, I heard a clicking sound, and turned and saw my net floating away in the swift current.

Call me sentimental, but that net has way too much mojo on it to just let it go. Plus, the rubber in the net would remain in the stream for eons. So I began to pursue the net, and thought it'd be a good idea to run through the softer water to chase it. Turns out that water was softer because it was about 5 feet deep, so I had to hold my bag way above my head with one hand, my rod in the other, and bounce through the giant pool. When I made it within a rods reach of my net, I thrust my rod-tip out to catch it (dumb idea, but no harm done) and simultaneously tripped over a large boulder and went totally underwater with my pack as well.

I have my net and continued to catch smallmouth, but my phone is toast!

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I’ve lost a lot of stuff — too much to list everything. The hemos, pliers, scissors and sunglasses could probably fill a dumpster.

Once I assembled my 4 piece Scott S3 4 weight with the reel, but didn’t string the line through the guides. The walk to the river was about 500 yards through a mosquito infested pasture. Got to the river and went to string up and discovered my tip section was missing. Got real lucky and was able to back track and find it.

Another time my feet were washed out from under me crossing a braid of the South Fork of the Snake in Idaho. Got washed into deeper water and alders. I managed to get out onto the bank, but without my 905 Sage SP and it’s Lamson reel.

Have come close to losing my float tube, a friend’s drift boat and lots of other stuff Also lost my only pair of prescription glasses when I was wading and got surrounded by a swarm of yellow jackets. I was waving my hands to get the things out of my face and hit the glasses knocking them into the river. Made for an interesting drive home.

And on and on and ...

Don

smarty140

Reaction score
Well... there’s a now pair of jaw spreaders on the bottom of the Chippewa River from when I was trying to recover my 7” long articulated musky fly from the mouth of an angry 26” pike yesterday. Jaw spreaders are cheap and will rust away in the river, but they were my buddy’s, not mine so I need to get him a new pair quickly!

I lost a nice handmade net along the Deschutes in Oregon a few years ago. I had just gotten into the river so it wasn’t long between rigging up and realizing it was gone, but still couldn’t find it anywhere despite a lot of looking. I did find a nice Fishpond Nomad along a river in Wyoming last fall, and we were the only group fishing there so nobody to return it to, so I guess I’m even on nets.

ryan

finisher

Reaction score
A few years back, I was fishing one of my favorite little holes far up river. I was tossing a parachute black ant that I had tied when I got a solid hook up. I could tell immediately it was a good sized fighter and he broke me off quickly. Fly gone.

Three or Four days later and I'm back fishing the same hole with my wife. A number of casts in and I hook into a good one. I reel the sucker in and net him. While removing the fly I notice a second fly on the other side of the jaw, it's my ant from the previous time there. I appreciated the return so I thanked him and sent him swimming.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been an uneventful year for me so far, I had a fellow use my rods and flies for salmon fishing and in 4 days he caught 22 kings using just 2 of my flies. He did not lose either fly but I just placed the one he finished up with in the mail to him today :)

I did have a fellow crack one of my Fire Leach patterns off his line 2 weeks ago but when I cleaned the boat a couple days later I found a fly he left behind so I broke even there.

My first trip to the cabin last month I used the metal detector to search the hill where I think I lost my Benchmade 940 last fall but came up dry. That's the last thing I lost far as I know but that is why we call it losing things, there may be something I haven't missed yet :)

duker

Reaction score
Oh man--the things I've lost. A partial and recent list would include: several Swiss Army Knives, a couple of other knives, several pairs of pliers, a couple of nippers, hemostats, lots of flies (never a fly box, thankfully), pair of gravel guards, single gravel guard, wader belts, Filson waxed hat (blew off my head into the Bulkley on a rare windy day), several tuques, more pairs of gloves than I care to admit, spools of tippet, three thermos mugs, thermos, water bottle, and more lighters than I could count (including two Zippos).

I've lost a few fish, but that's another thread.

Scott

pheldozer

Reaction score
finally got one of those velcro patches on my waders, and i keep knocking flies off when i swing by sling around or flip the pouch out.