Fishing With Grizzlies?

wjlapier

Reaction score
I've been given some inside info on a spot to fish when I'm in Montana in the GNP area. Wild cutthroat hard to pass up. And given permission to fish some private land that is known to have grizzlies around. I've encountered black bears while fishing in GNP but never a grizzly--seen grizzlies but not while fishing. I have a compact 45 I might bring with me ( Kimber Ultra Raptor II ), and always have bear spray and make lots of noise. One spot is pretty secluded, and I'm used to fishing by myself in remote areas, but never with the threat of a bear in the bushes. I know these guys are armed when they go out fishing so I'm thinking I might do the same. Your thoughts or experiences fishing with bears, specifically grizzlies.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
I've been given some inside info on a spot to fish when I'm in Montana in the GNP area. Wild cutthroat hard to pass up. And given permission to fish some private land that is known to have grizzlies around. I've encountered black bears while fishing in GNP but never a grizzly--seen grizzlies but not while fishing. I have a compact 45 I might bring with me ( Kimber Ultra Raptor II ), and always have bear spray and make lots of noise. One spot is pretty secluded, and I'm used to fishing by myself in remote areas, but never with the threat of a bear in the bushes. I know these guys are armed when they go out fishing so I'm thinking I might do the same. Your thoughts or experiences fishing with bears, specifically grizzlies.
Congrats on the Access.

I spend a lot of time fishing in Grizzly country. I have had a handful of encounters.

You are spot on with packing both a gun and bear spray. It's best to be prepared to use both if need be. I personally carry a 10mm with 220 grain hard cast rounds. It's around the ballistic equivalent of a factory loaded .41 magnum but with 15 rounds per magazine you get more than a handful of shots if you can't make them all count.

A .45 isn't ideal for grizzly but can be manageable if you get the 255 grain hard cast rounds from Underwood ammo (Link at the bottom) or something equivalent you will be much better off than having your standard personal protection rounds or jacketed HPs. You want a solid chunk of lead that wont expand when it hits fur. You want penetration through the hide and want the round to hit bone or vital organs. (Make sure to run a full magazine or two of the heavy ammo through your pistol before going to make sure it cycles reliably.)

Just read some articles on grizzly behavior and body language. Practice proper food storage and awareness and you will be just fine.

Have fun!

Link
45 ACP +P 255 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose – Underwood Ammo

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Bear spray . Your 45 will come in handy to shoot yourself while being eaten by the bear your nerves caused you to miss and that 45 sub wouldn't stop anyway. Seriously . I carry Counter Assault Bear spray and a 460 Rowland to shoot myself with when needed . :)

wjlapier

Reaction score
The two times I encountered black bears were on St Mary shore fishing both in two consecutive days. First I was on the beach and out of the corner of my eye I saw the bear walking on the trail nearby. I grabbed my spray and was prepared to use it if necessary. The bear was looking for bugs so didn't even approach me. The following morning I was fishing with my daughter in about the same area and when we were leaving we encountered the second bear on the trail. It was walking--not running--towards us. We backed up and went back to the beach with the spray in hand. That bear kept going but really got my adrenaline going.

We vacation in Montana near GNP and always have spray and are bear aware all the time. We have land up near Chief Mountain and before we got our road put in we would hike in the woods with spray and making plenty of noise. Never saw a bear there but my sister who also has land up there has seen grizzly.

don_p

Reaction score
Got to see my first grizzlies ever the very first year I started fishing Septembers out west. I was on the Shoshone River west of Cody WY outside the park. Mom and three "cubs" (her kids were the same size as our adult black bears) crossed the river 100 yards above me. Mom first, then the three kids. After seeing the power in her body and watching her cross a rather stiff current maybe 3 feet deep and then climb the opposite side bank with no problem at all, there's no way I'd shoot one with a .45. And I was carrying one with me. After I saw that it gave me a whole new respect for those critters. Kept my bear spray close and gave my neck a whole lot of exercise from spinning my head back and forth. Great trip.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Never fished with grizzlies. I leave when one shows up and the thought of high or low holing one never has crossed my mind.

Your .45 ACP works great on two legged animals so you can advert a "Deliverance" type situation. If that gives you comfort by all means take it. If all I had was the .45 ACP during a bear charge, I would wait until I could put my arm down its throat, then start pulling the trigger and pray to God it doesn't stove pipe or misfeed. In fact, if it was a bluff charge and you fired and struck the bear you would be in a world of tihS. Just the wrong gun.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Almost every time I fish I am in the territory of brown bears or grizzly bears. My best tip is to avoid small creeks when you know you are in bear country. Large rivers are hard for a bear to try catching any sort of meal from. Small creeks on the other hand offer a better chance and you have less range of view.

I rely on spray and have used it on one occasion. The thing you can't prepare for, the thing that is either woven into your being or is not is your ability to keep a clear mind in situations of dire danger. No gun or spray deterrent will make up for situational awareness and measured responses. I was born during the correct alignment or planets as it turns out, if not I would have died several times way before my first bear encounter.

I'll be fishing in bear territory tomorrow and Monday, just keep your eyes open.

westcoast

Reaction score
I agree, the pistol will probably just P*** off the bear. Maybe just find a different spot. A guy just got mauled in Creston BC ... sow with cubs.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I fish small streams near GNP with bears in the area and always have a big can of bear spray on my belt. I practice taking the safety off quickly and getting into firing position so if I ever have to use the spray my mind won't have to think about what to do. Have considered adding a short barreled cannon to my belt also and will practice a double draw with the can in my left and the pistol in my right. Still thinking and haven't made up my mind yet.

Dave

huntschool

Reaction score
Back in the day (late 60's) several of my school buddies worked in Alaska doing inventory and survey work. Their pre service training included bear stuff. They were each given a 12 ga shotgun (870 I think) with buck shot (OO) and slugs. If ya watch some of the videos of Alaskan fishing you will see the same armament on some of the guides.

If it were me, and it is not, I would go with the 12 ga with a shortened barrel, lengthened mag, and choke tubed for performance with the loads with buck shot and slugs. There was a load produced by Kynoch in Europe for the African trade for PH's that had a load of OO buck strung together on piano wire. This was for the PH's to use on leopards and such, wounded and in the brush. I have seen a leopard skull which was hit by one of these loads and it was total destruction. Cats are rather fragile compared to big bears..... just sayin. A long gun is likely to be the better choice in a high tension situation. You can not believe how fast these guys are......

Big bears are neat but not at my expense.

wjlapier

Reaction score
I asked this question before with an employee at Cabelas and they also said carry a shotgun. My cousins in Browning carry small pistols like I have but we never really talked about them and fishing in bear country. Chances are I won't fish this creek after all--seems the wife wants to tag along while I fish so I would prefer she not be put in harms way if it came to that. And I could hook up with this guy I know later and head out together better armed.

This trip wasn't really a fishing trip anyway--kinda ;) Our usual annual GNP vacation and visit with my family, but I was hoping to do some fishing.

I actually plan to come back to Montana later in the summer or early fall by myself. I might go up to this other creek with a cousin or two.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi wjlapier,

I have spent a lot of time around Brown Bear and Black Bear in Alaska. Both hunting and fishing.

Since you had to ask this question I don't think you should relie on your compact 45. If you use appropreate bullets the recoil will be high and you may not have the experience to shoot a charging bear with such a short barreled weapon. Would you know where to shot a charging bear? Would your gun have the energy to break a shoulder of a charging bear if you were lucky enough to hit your target? I suggest you stick with the bear spray and not a little self protection tube. You need a big can that will give you multiple shots at the bear. Buy two and use one to practise with before you go into the woods. You need to know how far away you can spray a bear and hit it in the face. Some people waste their bear spray before the bear is close enough to be effective. Make sure you know which way the wind is blowing before you spray. If the wind is blowing into your face, don't spray, move your position.

Your best protection is awareness. Bears don't just hide and wait for you to walk by. They are always busy looking for food or going some place. Most people who get in trouble with bears surprise the bear and startle it.

During the 70's the Alaska Fish and Game issued 12 ga shotguns to people in the field loaded with 00 buck. They later learned that most people couldn't wait for the bear to be close enough before they fired. The 00 buck shot is deadly but the bear has to be very close to be truly effective. Slugs are a better choice for most people.

Frank

Last edited:

stenacron

Reaction score
Annual estimate of US death causes while "enjoying" the outdoors

Cardiovascular disease …….. 856,030
Transportation accidents …. 48,441
Drowning ……………………….. 3,582
Slip & fall ……………………1,800
Hypothermia ……………………699
West Nile virus ……………….. 119
Lightning strikes…………………….. 51
Hornet/bee/wasp stings ….. 48.5
Snake bites …………………….. 5.2
Bear attacks …………….. 2

Stay in shape, stay alert on the highway, careful crossing rivers, be prepared in case you get lost, keep stinging insects at bay, keep an eye to the sky, watch your step... and carry bear spray. :)

Sooooooooooo many more things to be concerned about (if you're that type) than getting eaten by a bear that's not looking to eat you.

Just out of curiosity... how do you carry a shotgun while fly fishing... and how enjoyable is it to be fly fishing while having your head on a swivel looking for killer bears stalking you? :confused:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Annual estimate of US death causes while "enjoying" the outdoors

Cardiovascular disease …….. 856,030
Transportation accidents …. 48,441
Drowning ……………………….. 3,582
Slip & fall ……………………1,800
Hypothermia ……………………699
West Nile virus ……………….. 119
Lightning strikes…………………….. 51
Hornet/bee/wasp stings ….. 48.5
Snake bites …………………….. 5.2
Bear attacks …………….. 2

Stay in shape, stay alert on the highway, careful crossing rivers, be prepared in case you get lost, keep stinging insects at bay, keep an eye to the sky, watch your step... and carry bear spray. :)

Sooooooooooo many more things to be concerned about (if you're that type) than getting eaten by a bear that's not looking to eat you.

Just out of curiosity... how do you carry a shotgun while fly fishing... and how enjoyable is it to be fly fishing while having your head on a swivel looking for killer bears stalking you? :confused:
So even if I survive the lotto shot possibility of being attacked by a bear, you're sayin these cheeseburgers are still going to kill me while fly fishing? We never have threads about that stuff. :)

And I apologize if I had any part in taking this thread towards political with a gun pic. It was in jest and I wanted to show off the new muzzleloader bullets I just made before I saw is thread. :)

I officially change my answer to bear spray now. It's kinda boring but it's the best idea. Chance of peeing down your pant leg while trying to engage a charging bear with a handgun is high. Tear gas is less complicated.

stenacron

Reaction score
So even if I survive the lotto shot possibility of being attacked by a bear, you're sayin these cheeseburgers are still going to kill me while fly fishing? We never have threads about that stuff. :)
That's true. There are no threads that I recall discussing the dangers of fishing in the backcountry. Lots of these "be afraid of bears" threads... but lightning is what should be on your mind at - or above treeline for example.

I worry more about ticks than I do bears. :)

And I apologize if I had any part in taking this thread towards political with a gun pic.
Not at all. The OP included guns as an option. It's only a matter of time from there. :p