Has anyone ever used this net?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this net? Fly Fishing Net | Catch and Release | Let 'em Swim I've been looking for a new net (plastic style) and stumbled upon this and it seems like a pretty good idea. I'm almost soley catch and release unless I hurt the fish so anything to help their chance of survival I'm on board with. So, I'm just wondering if anyone has used these and if they find it effective?

el jefe

Reaction score
Interesting idea. My net has a deep enough bag that I can keep the fish submerged and still in the net, because at that point the fish is still in moving water (if you're fishing rivers, of course). If you like to lift the net up a bit to where it gets out of the water a ways, because bending over is difficult--like for my 80-year-old father with a bad back--I can see where this net would be helpful.

stenacron

Reaction score
Looks gimmicky to me... And actually more restrictive than a normal net. C&R guys leave the net in the water with the fish when they pop the hook anyway, no?

Also, I bet that sandwich bag net would be a real pain to deal with in fast water. Imagine holding a plastic bag in fast water... Not very efficient.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Looks gimmicky to me... And actually more restrictive than a normal net. C&R guys leave the net in the water with the fish when they pop the hook anyway, no?
I always try to but sometimes I just need to stand up or need to move a little bit to a more comfortable spot. I think ultimately I'll probably end up with a regular net but thought this seemed like a fairly cool idea.

spm

Reaction score
Yep, this C&R guy seldom even carries a net. I release them in the water with a Ketchum-release; don't even touch them.

steve

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Frabil nets are what I use and they do the same exact thing as this one to where it opens wide and deep and allows the fish to swim and remain calm, well, at least most of the time they stay calm. Once in awhile I get one that's just plain angry at me and won't sit still, but it swims and doesn't get tangled up.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill-Trout-Nets/1313489.uts?slotId=0

I got mine at Sportsmans Wharehouse for only $15.00. Worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. To pay over $100 for a net, a simple trout net is in my opinion a waste of money, but if one wants to spend that much, more power to them. I also read somewhere that the U.S.A. fly fishing team uses these nets as well.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I'd stick with a tried and true net. If it ain't broke...
I haven't killed a fish in a long time. Wait till you wade through some deep water with that thing hanging off of you. Seems like more trouble (and money) than it's worth.

pheldozer

Reaction score
i'd love to get one of those fishpond, brodin, rising, etc nets, but I can't kill the one I have. got this one 5 seasons ago, and it's still kicking. even after hundreds of days on the water, not a single tie in point for the net has broken.

Frabill Deluxe Wood Catch And Release Landing Net : FishUSA

that net with the sandwich bag looks like a pure gimmick. just because there is a water in the bag in that net, doesn't mean it's moving through the fish's gills. the tiny mesh also looks like a nightmare for multi-fly rigs.

JoJer

Reaction score
I saw one of these somewhere else just recently. Can't recall where. There was some suggestion that guides are using these to let their sports get their grip and grin shots while reducing mortality. For them, it might pay for itself in good publicity and tips.

stenacron

Reaction score
There was some suggestion that guides are using these to let their sports get their grip and grin shots while reducing mortality.
Per their website: The hoop size on the current model is 11" x 15" with a 14" water retention pouch.

People are "gripping & grinning" with 14 inch trout? I guess if you hold it out there far enough...

:p

JoJer

Reaction score
Per their website: The hoop size on the current model is 11" x 15" with a 14" water retention pouch.

People are "gripping & grinning" with 14 inch trout? I guess if you hold it out there far enough...

:p

"It's not the size of the fish in the fight...."