Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone ever used this net?

Has anyone ever used this net? Fly Fishing Net | Catch and Release | Let 'em Swim I've been looking for a new net (plastic style) and stumbled upon this and it seems like a pretty good idea. I'm almost soley catch and release unless I hurt the fish so anything to help their chance of survival I'm on board with. So, I'm just wondering if anyone has used these and if they find it effective?

2. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Default Re: Has anyone ever used this net?

Interesting idea. My net has a deep enough bag that I can keep the fish submerged and still in the net, because at that point the fish is still in moving water (if you're fishing rivers, of course). If you like to lift the net up a bit to where it gets out of the water a ways, because bending over is difficult--like for my 80-year-old father with a bad back--I can see where this net would be helpful.

4. Likes scotty macfly, myt1 liked this post

Looks gimmicky to me... And actually more restrictive than a normal net. C&R guys leave the net in the water with the fish when they pop the hook anyway, no?

Also, I bet that sandwich bag net would be a real pain to deal with in fast water. Imagine holding a plastic bag in fast water... Not very efficient.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

6. Likes spm, Ard, rockriver, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    Looks gimmicky to me... And actually more restrictive than a normal net. C&R guys leave the net in the water with the fish when they pop the hook anyway, no?
    I always try to but sometimes I just need to stand up or need to move a little bit to a more comfortable spot. I think ultimately I'll probably end up with a regular net but thought this seemed like a fairly cool idea.

8. Likes el jefe liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    Yep, this C&R guy seldom even carries a net. I release them in the water with a Ketchum-release; don't even touch them.

steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

10. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post

Frabil nets are what I use and they do the same exact thing as this one to where it opens wide and deep and allows the fish to swim and remain calm, well, at least most of the time they stay calm. Once in awhile I get one that's just plain angry at me and won't sit still, but it swims and doesn't get tangled up.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Frab...9.uts?slotId=0

I got mine at Sportsmans Wharehouse for only $15.00. Worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. To pay over $100 for a net, a simple trout net is in my opinion a waste of money, but if one wants to spend that much, more power to them. I also read somewhere that the U.S.A. fly fishing team uses these nets as well.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

12. Likes LimerickShaw, mcnerney liked this post

I'd stick with a tried and true net. If it ain't broke...
    I haven't killed a fish in a long time. Wait till you wade through some deep water with that thing hanging off of you. Seems like more trouble (and money) than it's worth.

14. Likes scotty macfly, rockriver, mcnerney liked this post

i'd love to get one of those fishpond, brodin, rising, etc nets, but I can't kill the one I have. got this one 5 seasons ago, and it's still kicking. even after hundreds of days on the water, not a single tie in point for the net has broken.

Frabill Deluxe Wood Catch And Release Landing Net : FishUSA

that net with the sandwich bag looks like a pure gimmick. just because there is a water in the bag in that net, doesn't mean it's moving through the fish's gills. the tiny mesh also looks like a nightmare for multi-fly rigs.
    "There's only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity. Zane Grey

16. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

I don't use a net . Carrying too much junk now . It does look as though it would be a pain in moving water .

Looks like they were trying to invent an idea that did not need inventing.

19. Likes stenacron, mcnerney liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast