Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Unhappy What did you lose today (or another time) ,,, Part 2.

House was broken into (actually due to safety concerns my front door remains unlocked; Mz Dog-Dog is my early warning system) and just did a AH SHXT!

Stuff that was taken was really minor, doubt the combined value was $100.00.

Until this morning ....

Went out in the garage for some reason and it finally registered THREE FULL KIT spey rods/reels/lines GONE! Time to talk to my Insurance Agent and check out my coverage for this sort of thing.

As two of the rods were custom build's, all high end reels/lines, this is going to cost a pretty penny to replace. Off the top guess is about $2,000 each ...

This I don't need!!
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: What did you lose today (or another time) ,,, Part 2.

That is terrible! It almost sounds like they knew what they were after...

It might be worthwhile to check EBay, Craigslist, etc. It does sound like they knew what they were looking for.

ugh. thats horrible. also post descriptions on this and other relevant forums so other fishers can keep an eye out? check local pawn shops?

Quote Originally Posted by driftless22 View Post
    It might be worthwhile to check EBay, Craigslist, etc. It does sound like they knew what they were looking for.
    Think this was a 'target of opportunity' as the rods would be close to useless unless you knew how to use the rods. However the suggestion on check crags list, etc., is a damned good one. Hadn't crossed my mind.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Really sorry to hear that Fred. Back in the 80s some scoundrels broke into my van while I was steelhead fishing in the Santiam River east of Salem.

Cleaned me out of all my trout reels, fly boxes and many years accumulation of tackle. Fortunately they didn’t look behind the back seat of the van where my collection of trout rods were hiding.

State Farm paid for everything at replacement cost through my homeowners policy. You may need to have a local fly shop confirm the value of your items unless you are better than I am at keeping receipts and invoices.

The things I lost that couldn’t be replaced were in my working fly boxes. When I lived in New York I made it a habit to buy flies from Walt (and Winnie) Dette on every trip to the Beaverkill. Some he tied for me to demonstrate a technique. Those were all gone.

Hope you get your stuff back. And I hope they catch the yahoos who did this, but that seems to happen infrequently.

Good luck,

Don

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    Really sorry to hear that Fred. Back in the 80s some scoundrels broke into my van while I was steelhead fishing in the Santiam River east of Salem.

Cleaned me out of all my trout reels, fly boxes and many years accumulation of tackle. Fortunately they didn’t look behind the back seat of the van where my collection of trout rods were hiding.

State Farm paid for everything at replacement cost through my homeowners policy. You may need to have a local fly shop confirm the value of your items unless you are better than I am at keeping receipts and invoices.

The things I lost that couldn’t be replaced were in my working fly boxes. When I lived in New York I made it a habit to buy flies from Walt (and Winnie) Dette on every trip to the Beaverkill. Some he tied for me to demonstrate a technique. Those were all gone.

Hope you get your stuff back. And I hope they catch the yahoos who did this, but that seems to happen infrequently.

Good luck,

Don
    "Well put in the claim today so we'll see how it goes. As far as 'value' is concerned a couple of phone calls by them (agent?) can get a current replacement value.** Rod builder's are local so easy to get a replacement value for them. On line for the reels; the 'cheap rod' was exactly that so not a big deal as I have another to use.

Nothing going on in the Rogue River as far as Steelhead/Salmon until late August so no rush to get re-equipped. Well that's a lie ...

fae

** ALWAYS insure for full replacement value; 'depreciated value' coverage will leave you 'high and dry' if you ever have a claim (my first one). Will cost you a few bucks more in premium but will save your xyz if you ever have a claim. Insurance Company is betting you won't, odds are in their favor.

Proved the 'full replacement coverage' bit to my Daughter years back. Insisted she get her HO coverage from USAA and full on. Two years later, Christmas Eve!!, her house burned to the ground!! USAA stepped right up starting with a $5,000 prepaid credit card. With that in hand our first stop at the shopping center was a ladies clothing store ... "Julie-Bullie" had the clothing on her back and that was it. Couple of hours later, and a thousand bucks, fully out fitted. Taught her, and the Head Sales Mgr., what a 'Wardrobe Manager' was all about.

"What's your price range?"

"What ever the best costs." (At Nordstrom's that's all they sell.)

'Panties out' to blouse's.

Back to the house:

Next question was 'How much do you want for all the furniture?'

Blank look .... 'No one's ever asked.' Came back with a most reasonable offer, we shook hands. New house, new furniture (if even ever so slightly used) and a full move in.

The Condo they put her up in was first rate ... full on-good to go .. just bring food. The new house she bought was a 'modular' so just clear off the lot, build a new foundation and crane the thing on. Amazing to watch them build these things on their construction yard.

fae
    Last edited by fredaevans; 07-12-2018 at 03:44 PM.

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post

What are the reels you lost? Someone on another forum pointing out that a suspicious hardy salmon bougle iv reel is being auctioned on eBay. Might be worth looking into? If it may be yours maybe reach out to ebay and see if they can potentially help? Maybe get the location of the seller? Once the auction finalizes keep the money in escrow or something until it can be sorted out.

13. Thanks wthorpe thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

Not comparable to Fred's garage heist but: Two fly boxes, Madison R. Between the Lakes, both inexpensive foam boxes, one blue one white, both marked Thorpe, neither with a ph no., one containing about 2 dozen Chubbies, and one about 5+ dozen caddises. Either fell out of open zipper on a sling pack, or i tossed a few things on the ground and left them. Stupid either way. Now all boxes have ph nos. For what it's worth. Found a net recently with a washed out address, matched i think to license plates in the parking lot, and put it on the hood of a truck. (i am pretty sure i got the right one?!) [I also lost my lunch / snack presumably same as flies but a few days later i found it in my car. I'd rather have found the flies.]

15. Likes ggriffi liked this post

Well the good news on the theft of the rods ... e mail from my insurance agent ... cheque for close to $3,900 is in the post. When I get same in hand (I don't trust to luck) I'll order up replacement rods, reels and lines.

17. Likes mcnerney liked this post