I keep burning my rod hand when strip setting..

lacivic99

Reaction score
When I strip set, I keep my rod-hand pointer finger around the line -- like another ferrule. I do this because it allows me to pinch off the line and strip set a second time if necessary. How do I avoid the friction burn? Do a better job of pointing my rod tip towards the target?

duker

Reaction score
Do you wear gloves? For saltwater fishing I wear those Simms sun gloves or whatever they're called, and they've got synthetic leather reinforcements on the fingers to prevent exactly that. As an alternative, or in addition, try Flexx-Rap Tape--reusable, breathable rubber tape that's self-adhesive. Wrap a couple of wraps around your knuckle joint(s) and you're good to go.

Scott

mikechell

Reaction score
I've religiously used the single finger type karstopo linked to. I only use the middle finger of my rod hand to control line, and strip setting was painful. Been using the finger guard for several years ... won't go fishing without one.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What the heck are you fishing for that you need to set a hook that hard?

I think this strip set thing is highly overrated and applied with way too much moxy. You can argue what I say but I catch all my fish after they have hooked themselves. I believe we might benefit by realizing these simple creatures are not the enemy, they are not Bulls or Tanks, they are in most cases rather small delicate animals.

JasonTX

Reaction score
I normally don’t wear stripping guards in freshwater (always when saltwater), but I’ve been doing a ton of popper bass fishing lately, and textured lines make it a bit uncomfortable, so I’ve been wearing the Buff version. Works well.

Lacivic, you can release the line on strip set or just protect your finger. Just a matter of preference.

lightline

Reaction score
What the heck are you fishing for that you need to set a hook that hard?

I think this strip set thing is highly overrated and applied with way too much moxy. You can argue what I say but I catch all my fish after they have hooked themselves. I believe we might benefit by realizing these simple creatures are not the enemy, they are not Bulls or Tanks, they are in most cases rather small delicate animals.
Ard, in a word, Tarpon. Mouths like cinder blocks. On a straight retrieve (no current or swing), strip-set is the only way a hook will go in most of the time. I never used it in your home area for rainbows or salmon, but some of the hard-mouthed saltwater fish get hooked better. Barracuda. Sharks. Snook to some extent. Even with the best of today's high-dollar, killer-sharp hooks, they need that "pop" of a strip-set. A tarpon sometimes needs it more than once.

To answer the original question, I use 3M micropore medical tape over my joints to prevent the burn.
Amazon.com: 3M Micropore Paper Tape - Tan, 1" wide -1 roll [Health and Beauty]: Health & Personal Care

fr8dog

Reaction score
I just cut the fingers off of cheap garden gloves. Hack off the tip and use it on my index finger. Only use them for salty fish. Cheap and easy. Kind of like me!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I get that.

Had this been inserted in Salt Water threads I would have understood what you are dealing with.

I once had a very bad burn from my backing that I acquired while dealing with a king salmon. It turned out to be a fish much larger than what I had even imagined would be in the water I was fishing. I was armed with a 9 foot six inch seven weight Greys Platinum X rod and a Hardy Viscount 7/8 Mid arbor reel. It got ugly. You can read the story about my early experiences in Alaska here: How Bout Them Kings, as told by Ard Stetts for Salmonfly.Net

That is where the burn occurred, immediately before things went bad a Laotian guy who fished with me for weeks said, "You Better Run". I lost the fish when my line was pulled around a bridge abutment encrusted with barnacles. The line burn lasted for weeks longer due to where it was located.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I use the open fingered sailing gloves from West Marine. They usually put them on sale a couple of times a year. I keep a pair or two in my fishing bag and my "possibles" box in the row boat (wear them when pulling on the oars also) They stand up well to repeated wetting and drying cycles.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I use Kevlar glove liners from Grainger...they are reversible and inexpensive

camelbrass

Reaction score
I strip the line through my first two fingers while gripping the cork with my rod hand. That, unfortunately, means that when I strip set and the fish takes off the line pulls right into the crease on the finger tip joint and ouch!! (or words to that effect). I have used tape but it always comes lose and don’t like finger stalls. If it get’s too painful I put a bit of superglue over the wound.

Regards,

Trevor

lacivic99

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone. This happens when i'm fishing for snook and tarpon, but I strip set on everything now to force the habit, and honestly the last time it happened was bass fishing. When the line gets wedged between the crease of my fingers, it doesn't take much.

I'm a bit averse to gloves so I'm going to explore what I can change about my timing and technique. The super glue idea sounds great in a pinch, otherwise I'll take a look at some stripping guards.

stickwetter

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I thought I might highlight what I think is missed. Fishing in the warm salt (tarpon, Jacks, roosterfish, etc) requires a very fast retrieve to entice the fish to bite. Forget about the strip setting, or even man handling escaping line, you have to strip and KEEP stripping fast to entice the bite.

This by nature of our fly fishing "retrieve" will set you up for failure if you do not take this into account and you go down to tropical water for an expensive sojourn, You will strip hard for one or two strips end up with a cut index finger and then the proverbial salt in your wounds. This can ruin your trip. For the rest of the trip you will avoid a fast retrieve...and chances of landing that trophy saltwater fish.

Take the time to buy some steel reinforced fillet gloves, cut off the glove fingers except your glove stripping index finger. hem or glue the cut edges. Those lyrca and cloth specialty gloves a fly fishing store will sell will not fit the need. They will be destroyed after an hour of hunting these big tropical critters.

old timer

Reaction score
Gloves are not a bad idea for all you guys. I managed to get skin cancer on the back of my hand. I'm sure all my days fishing over the years are to blame. Protect your ears too. I always thought a wide brim hat looked goofy. Well, losing a chunk of ear to cancer looks goofy too.

camelbrass

Reaction score
Wrap a couple of layers of medical tape (waterproof if you can get it) over the first joint on your index finger on your rod hand, not tightly. That's where the line settles and digs in, always painfully. Replace as necessary.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

okaloosa

Reaction score
I would gladly "endure" a friction burn for every strip set on a big tarpon without complaining;)
bring it on!
now if its simply from stripping the line then, yes, a fly fishing finger guard or gloves will work fine.
sun gloves should be used anyhow in the Florida sun. My Simms sun gloves come with a finger guard.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Ard......
I've learned to look where the poster resides.....
Strange and different ideas lurk all over.....and so your approach is not universal. Nor will it be, but don't feel bad about it.
Lahontan Cuttthroat have hard mouths as well.....
After fishing at Pyramid for a couple weeks, suffering from the bloody strip finger (duct tape works well) and solidifying my muscle memory, I came back to dry fly fish, and found I was faster on the draw to risers, than using the rod tip lift, or sweep set.
The line is anchored on the water and slack isn't a problem as much. If as many do, they stack mend to empower their drift, when rod setting, they introduce all the slack into the air. OOOOOps.....
I think if you fished here with your let-them-set-for-themselves style, you wouldn't stick as many fish. I'd bet on it........which isn't a putdown of your abilities obviously....but a nod to well educated fish. Wild uneducated fish are pushovers, as opposed, to fish that get hooked many times. I constantly see fish eat and spit before even a pro could set in time. Sounds like you have fish that just "buy it", as opposed to ours, that must be sold......
I'd love to have you come by and fish to see...........
Just keep doing your thing, and we will as well.....lots of ways to skin a cat....
Or, no one way to do anything.

Jim

Last edited: