Which fly box for drift boat?

JW51

Reaction score
For many years I used the Orvis foam boxes, good for wading with a vest. Now, though, want to have most of my flies together. Needs to hold firm with 18s. I may need another box for stones and hoppers. Would be nice to have a transparent top as well. Anyone have a favorite? Thanks much.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
JW

I don't really have a favorite fly box. A couple years ago I bought an Orvis boat bag when they went on clearance. The new ones are smaller, but I like mine as I can fit 15-20 fly boxes and all the fishing accessories inside, keeps everything together and dry.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I really like the Tacky boxes' low profile while wading. But for boat fishing, Cliff Outdoors has a bunch of great solutions. Cliff Outdoors - Fly Boxes I use the Beast when on my boat, or the Crab shack if I'm a guest on someone else's. But these are only for larger flies (I do a lot of striper fishing on rivers and lakes). For your needs, I would look at the Super Day's Worth.

jsxtreme

Reaction score
I really like the Tacky boxes' low profile while wading. But for boat fishing, Cliff Outdoors has a bunch of great solutions. Cliff Outdoors - Fly Boxes I use the Beast when on my boat, or the Crab shack if I'm a guest on someone else's. But these are only for larger flies (I do a lot of striper fishing on rivers and lakes). For your needs, I would look at the Super Day's Worth.
I'm sorry but Cliff's boxes really are over priced junk. I have 4 of the Beasts and the foam always falls apart and leaves sticky blue **** all over your hooks.

These are the same thing but for half the price:

Amazon.com : Scientific Anglers Waterproof Fly Box, Boat Box - Large : Sports & Outdoors

That being said most of my stuff will be going in ziplocs and into an orvis boat bag.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You and I are using totally different flies due to our locations but like the others replying I use a bag that holds my boxes. Mine is a Plano Soft Sider I think it's called. I bought it right after losing a loose fly box full of beautiful salmon flies built on tubes.

In your area with the frequent winds you definitely need boxes that grip your small dry flies so the ones you're already using are probably good boxes. It's possible that all you need is a good boat bag to carry a selection of organized boxes. The Plano I use holds 2 huge clear plastic compartment boxes - 2 smaller boxes holding smaller streamers and my leader wallet all in the main compartment. They provide 3 outside slip in pockets that are cool for tippet spools and leaders - hooks etc.

You may be looking for just a single do it all fly box but also may end up using your existing boxes in a tote type bag. I've grown used to mine, with the passing of time you will know right where everything is at. You will also make the boat bag a very important item when you prepare for a fishing trip. Leaving with out my Plano would be about the same as leaving without rods.

upstreamcast

Reaction score
Checkout the new Umqua HD boxes. Lots of styles. Tackys are good. I use an Eddie Bauer boat bag. Had Orvis...like Bauer better. Carry lots of "stuff"....including quiet a few fly boxes.