Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: The frustrations of sight fishing. What would you do?

I think i should have just thrown one too. Thing is he never broke surface once. So i was trying alot of combinations. Its a good sized river though. Wasnt a small stream if thats what you were thinkin

Default Re: The frustrations of sight fishing. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by jayw2942 View Post
    I think i should have just thrown one too. Thing is he never broke surface once. So i was trying alot of combinations. Its a good sized river though. Wasnt a small stream if thats what you were thinkin
    If you are referring to what I was thinking about two flies, I always fish one dry fly. No dropper, ever. Take what you learned from your experience and try again. Each day on the river is a learning experience to build from.

You might find this video interesting. This guy is an expert from your area.
    Keep 'em wet!

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks Larry I saw that I only say things I know.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

After a suitable time I'd throw a Wooly at the fish and when that doesn't work move on.

I'm a zone fisherman anyway. I stay low and fish where I think they will be. Then I stay low and fish where I think they won't be. Then I move.

When I'm on the river I'm looking for aggressive fish. If I spot a feeding fish that won't eat what I think it should be eating I usually spend a few moments looking into the water to see if there's something drifting by that I missed. I'll try matching whatever I see, and if I still don't hook the fish after a fly or presentation change I move on. I'll try and revisit that lie later, though, to see if that fish is still there and may be willing to eat what I'm offering. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but if you spend all your time casting to one difficult fish you may miss out on the dozen easy ones in the next pool.

Lots of good comment here. I tend to agre with Dillon about fishing a single fly in most instances,but particularly when you are getting refusals with a multi-fly rig.

I also think Flav and others who suggest moving on after a reasonable number of casts makes sense. Sometime it isn’t a case of the fish being particularly difficult, but rather the water current ther has some nuances that introduce drag on most floats.

Back in the 70s when I fished the Beaverkill, there wa one pool where good sized fish were always rising. (The Hendrickson Pool). But I seldom had a take there. A regular with more skill than me showed me how there were upwelling currents and secondary flows that introduced subtle drag into almost every drift.

I still tried those fish on most trips, but didn’t allow myself to get too fixated on them. Once another guy tied some singer leader tippet on the end of my leader and gave me one of his size 28 flies. That took a couple fish until I managed to lose the fly.

I have found locations like that on various spring creeks. Sometimes it is better to move to a more friendly location.

Don

If it's a stocked stream, he may have been recently released. If it's C&R, he may have been recently caught. It could be any number of things. In my experience the good holes hold multiple fish. Don't get fixated on one that won't cooperate, his buddies are probably having a party right around the bend. It's like Kenny said, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away, know when to run."

I would have stayed with it until I caught it or spooked it, but that's what I do with trout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12