Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default Re: The frustrations of sight fishing. What would you do?

another vote for the ant suggestion. as well as going with tiny flies and 6-7X flouro
    "There's only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity. Zane Grey

Default Re: The frustrations of sight fishing. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

...try an drowned ant pattern. Ants drown but very few fly fishers try them so fish are not used to being hooked by drowned ant patterns. I would have looked for ants along the stream bank and tried a drowned ant of the right size and color.
    I was getting skunked on the Farmington one day and drowned an ant by accident. I had the rod tucked under my arm and was trying to light a cigar in a bit of wind, when I saw a rainbow about five feet away grab my rather large and submerged black ant. Somehow I managed to get the cigar lit and the trout netted, in that order.

3. Likes photoguy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by patrick62 View Post
    I was getting skunked on the Farmington one day and drowned an ant by accident. I had the rod tucked under my arm and was trying to light a cigar in a bit of wind, when I saw a rainbow about five feet away grab my rather large and submerged black ant. Somehow I managed to get the cigar lit and the trout netted, in that order.
    Ha! That reminded me of a day I had a few years ago on the Swift. I was fishing a nymph with no success...and for a long time, convinced that it should be successful. Another fisherman came along and asked if he could walk through my spot and I said 'sure'- actually surprised that he'd asked, as many don't. Anyway, I tucked my rod under my arm with a short line still in the water and as he approached we started to talk. Within 30 seconds I felt a big tug and as we continued the conversation I reeled in a very big brown. When I got him in the net, the other guy said 'Wow! I don't think I've *ever* seen a brown that size on this river'. We both laughed and I continued my fishing without another hit for the rest of the day.

Blog Entries

There are bunches of books and articles written on this topic. From dead DEAD drifting (lol), to swinging flies, or maybe a Liesenring lift finish but they will not cover every circumstance. However, they will arm you with an arsenal of tactics. When you have an active feeder that's moving all over the place your chances are greatly diminished, just a fact. You will never catch all the fish you see; a good thing. So make a decision on how much time you're willing to dedicate to a single fish. I'm guilty of half days on single fish with no reward. Was it worth the time? Hell yes! Some calibers of fish don't come along but once or twice a year so I target them when I see them.

Observation When sight fishing I cant stress this enough.
    Many times they are not just moving from spot to spot chasing food but following the movement of the food carrying current in which they are feeding. Water essentially does not compress. Currents can shift as water backs up against obstacles, including itself, and then releases due to overwhelming force. This impacts which current may be delivering the most food. I have watched an entire seam move back and forth many degrees. In one particular hole, the main channel essentially dams the side channel after flowing around a boulder. When that dammed water volume reaches a critical point it overwhelms the force of the main channel and the seam is pushed; cyclic. This can occur anywhere in the water, may not be visible on the surface and may occur fairly fast; fluid dynamics. So I say observation as these cycles are fairly regular in timing hence so may be the movement of the fish. Animals are not as random as many like to think. Just like us driving to work. Same time, same path, with the stop for gas to change it up.

Silver hit this as well. So many fly changes tells me you didn't know what might be going on. Use a seine. Seine throughout the day if needed. Hatches may not be visible and can change in hours, especially in the summer. You just might be surprised at what that fish is feeding on. A buddy and I once spent the better part of an hour taking turns trying to catch a column feeding Cutt. Caddis were all over. I walked away, seined, and saw lime green midge larvae (Of course I didn't tell my buddy. ). Needless to say, but will, I hooked that fish on my next turn. Who would have thought that in July with all those caddis a #24 midge was the ticket?

One last thing. Failure is the best teacher and keeps us coming back. One day you will hook that fish. When you do the mystery and the challenge will be gone. Don't be surprised if that high is followed by a quieting low. You'll remember that day, I promise. lol

CFF
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Here is the extendable net/seine I made and carry in my vest. It extends to net flying insects out of the air or to seine the water.

Instruction to make is here: What do you do in this situation? - Page 2

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes corn fed fins liked this post
    Blog Entries

You've already got gret advice....my two cents

I sight fish most of the time....
    .walk on eggs during the approach
    .hide,kneel or stay in the shade ,see without being seen
    .be ready to cast any time
    .the 1st cast is primordial.
    .no success on dry,wait for a while try a tiny nymph.
    Last piece of advice,don't be discouraged....train train train again,it takes years to be performing at sight fishing.

Blog Entries

Here is the extendable net/seine I made and carry in my vest. It extends to net flying insects out of the air or to seine the water.

Instruction to make is here: What do you do in this situation? - Page 2

I like that idea. I use a paint strainer. Wrap it over my net hoop and hold.
    Amazon.com: 5 Gallon Elastic Opening Paint Strainer Bags 6 Pieces

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

I also use a paint strainer over a net but the hydraulic drag on the strainer does not allow me to expose much of the strainer perpendicular to the water flow. With the net I can go deep, strain the film or net flying insects.

For those who do not know about paint strainers here is how they work. Good for surface work held at a shallow angle.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

I also use a paint strainer over a net but the hydraulic drag on the strainer does not allow me to expose much of the strainer perpendicular to the water flow. With the net I can go deep, strain the film or net flying insects.

For those who do not know about paint strainers here is how they work. Good for surface work held at a shallow angle.

You need to grow stronger. Lol. I do like the flying insect aspect, butterflies and such.

The force against the net can be strong but, for me, I found the problem to be how long (timewise) to seine. I've learned to hold mine down for a quite some time as a pillow forms in front of the seine ( same force discussed in my original post). This can redirect food around the seine giving me a false impression as to hatch intensity or miss observing less intense hatches all together. The faster the flow and the smaller the bug, the easier it gets pushed around the pillow. The longer the time submerged means more transported matter is collected. This slowly clogs the seine and it becomes even more difficult to hold. But I just grew stronger.

I like the big net seine as I can also do the San Juan shuffle and collect nymphs to give me an idea as to when certain hatches might begin.

Cheers. IMO, the most overlooked/underutilized, least discussed, inexpensive, non space consuming, weight negligible, and educational pieces of equipment that puts fish in a net.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123