Backpacking tent

c web

Reaction score
My love of fly fishing and my love of backpacking is a perfect marriage. It is getting to the point that it is actually hard to get me to fish streams with easy access, I see another fisherman and I am ready to go. Here on the east coast I sleep in a hammock, best sleep I have ever gotten in the woods! However I will be headed to Montana the end of August and have time planned on some high lakes where trees to hang my hammock and tarp will be few and far between. Looking for an ultralight tent, nothing >4 lbs, to purchase for this trip and thought I would ask what yall use. I don't mind spending money for quality gear but also like getting the most for my dollars. Thanks in advance.

My current home away from home.

IMG_20170805_103827493.jpg

rockriver

Reaction score
North Face and Mountain Hardware are a couple. Heading into the mountains of Montana, I'd go with a 4 season tent in case of a storm.

desmobob

Reaction score
I'm a hammock camper, but when I need a tent, I LOVE my Big Agnes Seedhouse 1. I'm 6'2" and it's plenty roomy for me with enough space to bring some gear inside as well.

Tight lines,
Bob

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Chris

I've seen hammocks with rain tarps built in over the top and a bug shield, but if you want to get a tent, take a look at what REI offers. If you plan to camp in Yellowstone NP, check their camping regulations, I think they require a tent vise hammock, but not positive. I have a three person Marmont tent for car camping and a one person Big Agnes for backpacking, it is 2 lbs, perfect for my tired legs. I didn't pay that much, I think I bought it on eBay for a steep discount several years ago.

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 1 Tent | REI Co-op

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't used a pack to hike in for years but I like the one Larry linked up. I had a tiny one made by Mountain Hardware but sold it in 2010.

Why I like Larry's tent: It looks easy to get in and out of.

Mine was indeed small and light, I bought it for use with pack and Mtn. Bike trips but it was hard to enter and exit.

One with a little vestibule is nice because you can stow things out of the weather.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I use an older version of one of these...

REI Co-op Quarter Dome 2 Tent | REI Co-op

It is a two-person tent easy to get in and out of. I am 6'5" tall and it fits me and the wife comfortably. Mine is about 10 years old and still going strong. Only use it a few times a year though.

Because it is a two-person you can split the load between you when you are with someone.

Regards,

Tim C.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Check out the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. I have two of them (a real old one and one of the newer models) and have used them for bicycle camping. They are billed as a two person test (as long as the two people really like each other). My daughter took one of them to Madagascar for a field study project (studying lemurs out in the bush, packing gear out to the study area) and it was perfect. I think it is just within your weight limit. Excellent for the money (admittedly there may be better options if money is no object, but for 200 bucks this is a good buy).

Clip Flashlight 2-Person Tent | Sierra Designs

The Best Backpacking Tents of 2018 | OutdoorGearLab

myt1

Reaction score
When every nanogram counts I go with a one person Big Agnes similar to the one linked and pictured below; although I can't imagine I paid over three hundred bucks for mine.

During a recent trip to the Sierras I weathered a pretty severe thunderstorm and I didn't even use tent stakes; I used rocks instead, because I pitched my tent on a rock slab.

When I can afford a few extra ounces I carry a two man Sierra Designs tent (see second photo) that has served me well over the years. I recently returned the poles to have new elastic installed in them and they did the repair for no charge, unbelievable!

P.S. Ard, I'm really glad you got the photo displaying issues taken care of. I didn't have any problems.

Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL1

stenacron

Reaction score
If budget conscious, these two actually rate pretty high for backpacking tents under $200... similar design, double vestibule, self-standing clip-type...

REI Half Dome 2: REI Co-op Half Dome 2 Tent | REI Co-op

Mountainsmith Morrison 2: Amazon.com : Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent (Citron Green) : Backpacking Tents : Sports & Outdoors

If you're an REI co-op member (and if not, you should be), these tents - and others - go on sale quite frequently. They had their 80th anniversary sale earlier this year and I picked up the Half Dome 2 for less than $100.

If spending time above treeline you might want to look at something with a lower profile.

myt1

Reaction score
So, I had to look up "Type 2 fun".

"It's only after the event, and in reflection, that you come to realize you actually had fun. Wading through chest-deep snow, dirty and loose rock, sketchy approaches, hikes that never seem to end, and anything that offers an overriding sense of doom and despair are clear indications you're having a Type 2 experience."

Yeah, I've had my share of that.

myt1

Reaction score
I'm not as big a fan of REI as I once was...heck, I used to be able to make my house payment once a year using my REI dividend check. Like other companies though, they became what they originally went into business to compete against; in REI's case that would be the high priced, name brand, high status outfitters.

Although, I agree with Stenacron above. You can get some great deals if you look at sales.

I'm a huge poster child for Sierra Trading Post, although even they aren't as good as they once were, and I always check them first, even when shopping for fly fishing gear.

I have also recently discovered Steepandcheap.com and they too seem to have some good deals, even fly fishing stuff.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys are living in the past. Check out Ultralight Backpacks, Shelters, Tarps & Equipment - Cuben Fiber Gear for the new stuff.
I looked at those tents before, but they are very expensive........for me anyway. The one I liked was the Echo II ultralight shelter system at $695 that weighs 1.81 lbs. I ended up buying the Big Agnes Copper Spur tent that weighs 2 lbs 2 oz and retails for $379, but I bought mine when it went on sale for something like $300. I'm sure if you are a thru hiker and have the cash for top shelf gear, then it would be worth saving a few ounces, but for someone like me that just does a hike a few times a year it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money. YMMV!

c web

Reaction score
I'm not as big a fan of REI as I once was...heck, I used to be able to make my house payment once a year using my REI dividend check. Like other companies though, they became what they originally went into business to compete against; in REI's case that would be the high priced, name brand, high status outfitters.

Although, I agree with Stenacron above. You can get some great deals if you look at sales.

I'm a huge poster child for Sierra Trading Post, although even they aren't as good as they once were, and I always check them first, even when shopping for fly fishing gear.

I have also recently discovered Steepandcheap.com and they too seem to have some good deals, even fly fishing stuff.
Absolutely not opening a can of worms here but if my legal concealed carry firearm is not welcome in a store neither am I.