How Many Will Fish During the Winter???

FrankB2

Reaction score
I never really fished during the winter months before, but I never really fished for trout until 2006. Yvonne and I are good until the temps drop below 40 degrees. It might not be entirely comfortable, but it's fun. :)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I fish year round.

MP

Edit: I live at the base of the Sierra Foothills. The region that I fish includes that and the Sacramento Valley. Snowfall is rare. The worst to expect here is a cold, wet, rainy day.

Last edited:

hunter1

Reaction score
X2, I fish year round also. It's harder in the winter, but theres less people around, tubers , kiyukers. When it snows the land scape is pretty.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Year 'round, brother. The only thing that stops me is when temps dip below 30-degrees Fahrenheit. Ice in the guides and then iced-up leaders really put a damper on the day. Add a bit of wind or spitting skies and it really gets miserable. But, if I'm catching fish I don't seem to notice much else :D

Kelly.

ghostdncr

Reaction score
I think it's a Norwegian saying: There is no bad weather, only bad clothing. Working around that tidbit of wisdom, I fish year round. Some of the best, as in pure quality of experience, fishing I've ever had occurred in the depths of winter. There really is nothing quite like the silence and solitude one can find on the river during a snowfall.

franzenangler

Reaction score
I never really fished during the winter months before, but I never really fished for trout until 2006. Yvonne and I are good until the temps drop below 40 degrees. It might not be entirely comfortable, but it's fun. :)
I've fished in 9 inches of snow on a 3 mile hike in to the creek, and it was half way frozen.

yatahey

Reaction score
Last year was my first winter that I fished. It was a mixed bag of some good some bad. I hate frozen guides. I shall fish again with great vigor this winter.

joshuanoerr

Reaction score
I'm originally from Southern California, but now I live just outside of Atlanta. It's super cold (for me anyway) in the winter, but I still fish for a few reasons:

1. Less people on the rivers
2. Knocking ice off of your guides is super cool
3. It gives me an excuse I can use with my wife to buy $24 socks from my local fly shop

Not to mention, there is something hypnotic about fishing with snow on the ground!

Jackster

Reaction score
I think my blood thinned moving to the south. I've gone from enjoying braving shelf ice to get in the river to now enjoying a good book by a warm fire much better.
Even with the correct clothes learned from years of skiing, ice boating, ice fishing and steelheading, I hate the cold these days.

Vans

Reaction score
I live on the western edge of the Oregon Coast Range. :) Lots of winter Steelhead to be had. :fishing:

ant

Reaction score
I fish in the winter but not too often. I prefer to shoot me some whitetail that time of year..:)

I heard a good tip for keeping your guides clear of ice, but I haven't tried it yet: get some lip balm and rub it on.

wt bash

Reaction score
I heard a good tip for keeping your guides clear of ice, but I haven't tried it yet: get some lip balm and rub it on.

Been there done that, it works as long as its not too cold same as the treatments from Loon and some of the others you gotta keep putting it on throught the day. I tend to forget so I skip it all together and clear the guides after every cast.

vanceinak

Reaction score
This has been my rookie year getting back into fly fishing & I hope to chase some big rainbows locally this winter. Part of the Kenai River (local to me) remains open year around though the temps in winter will usually peak in the 20s. There are a few fearless folks that still fish it well below 0.