Something Disturbing on a Fishing Video

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Be Advised: I looked up the 9:28 length You Tube version and it is edited. Definitly edited from what is on the actual DVD program, what I saw is on the DVD disc not the sanitized you tube clip.

Some may say I'm just too picky and I won't argue with that on some points. However, in the world I'm living in I've became pretty numb to a great many things least I'd be in a constant state of agitation.

Fishing videos? I don't watch many, I made a fishing related video but it was meant to be informative. It didn't include actual fishing with the intent of portraying myself as some sort of standard bearer for this sport, it was about rigging leaders and controlling streamers on the drift and swing.

I had a guest for 6 days here who when he arrived had a pile of fishing magazines and a video called 'Off The Grid / Fly Fishing Outside the Norms'.

Honestly, I don't get a bang out of these shows, I get a bang out of going fishing when I want to and practicing my techniques. I think a large part of my disinterest is the way characters are portrayed as being somehow special because they are fishing. Let's face it, we all want to be special and you have the right to feel that way. I've also seen plenty of what I, in my high and mighty way call poor fish handling practices for the sake of further elevating the stars as being hugely successful.

I'll get to the real red meat now, that video, 'Off The Grid', my guest loaded it into my DVD player and started on a clip about two young fellows in Northern Ohio Steelhead fishing. It was snowing and cold enough to put ice in the guides and freeze the landing net bag. This was all presented with the 'you gotta be tough and you gotta love it' vibe. I was able to ignore all the bravado and continued watching. It doesn't take long before they are doing the 'man vs. fish' combat scenes and quickly transitioned into the ever popular grip and grin sequences.

That's where things went south for me. I don't own the disc so I can't direct you to the exact point in minutes on the Ohio clip but there is a spot where one of these two guys is hoisting a very colored up hen. They even go to a semi slow motion so you can appreciate the mouth gaping and closing along with the gills as the fish is held aloft. SO what? What am I some kind of a Girlyman?

That part had my attention but it was when the fish began spilling that stream of orange eggs that I got up and crossed the living room on the way to my desk and said, "Nice, why don't you hold it there until it's stressed enough to spill its eggs".

I was done at that point. I used to fish back in Western Pennsylvania for lake run fish just like those the young men were catching. In the video they gave the ages of the fishermen and I can tell you that I was doing what they were doing in the video before they were born. I've seen ice in my guides, especially here in Alaska and I've been out in the cold. What I haven't done and I mean ever donewas to have a hen fish spew her eggs while in my possession. I've seen 3 or 4 males blow out some milt due to stress but no hens, no eggs.

Now this may sting some feelings but I'll just say what I thought of what I saw in the entire Ohio Steelhead portion of Off The Grid. Remember I said I fished Western Pennsylvania and the streams there are so similar that many would lose a guessing game as to what you were seeing, PA. or OH. These are generally narrow and somewhat shallow creeks which (due to stocking programs) can see an inordinate number of fish return from the Lake. There is no comparisons that can be made to pot shooting / sight fishing those fish with nymphs and fishing an actual river for steelhead. Rivers where you can't sight fish, rivers where you really have to pay dues and I don't mean a little ice in the guides, I mean hours and days spent searching and working for that first good hookup.

I know that everyone can't just drop and go to the Pacific Northwest or Alaska, I know that for many even a trip to Lake Ontario rivers can be a challenge. Please don't get me wrong, this isn't about bashing guys who fish Great Lakes Creeks for steelhead, it's about what's on that video and I couldn't believe that someone didn't edit the egg spewing out. Not that that would have changed what happened on the ground there but once I saw it I thought, "You Gotta Be Kiddn".

I am going to produce another video and when it's done it'll show up here and on my blog. It will be a how to handle streamers on small streams. It will be recorded on a very small stream here in Alaska and there may be a trout caught. The actual catching of a fish would make the point better than all the writing I can do so we are going to make an honest effort to give the forum a small stream streamer video soon.

Thanks for reading and I hope I didn't make too many people mad at me,

Ard

Last edited:

knotjoe

Reaction score
Thanks for reading and I hope I didn't make too many people mad at me,

Ard
Nah...I'm careful about video viewing when it comes to fishing, it's part of my anger management strategy for the latter part of life.

Do look forward to your video, though. I've watch the previous one's and they are very enjoyable with good info.

proheli

Reaction score
Ard, I think you are frustrated with the human condition. Inexplicably, many of the humans walking around on the planet are “sub-human” in nature, with zero ability to respect life or have any consideration for other anythngs besides themselves, whatsoever.

I get angry when I see that kind of behavior too. It’s a good thing that you can feel strongly at atrocities, big or small. What to do about “those people”, I’m not sure. Hopefully they figure it out sooner than later. I think setting a good example goes farther than people initially realize to helping things in general.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I agree with you Ard.They are too worried about their celebrity status to care about the future of fishing.Looking forward to your video also.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe :)

Ard, I think you are frustrated with the human condition. Inexplicably, many of the humans walking around on the planet are “sub-human” in nature, with zero ability to respect life or have any consideration for other anythngs besides themselves whatsoever.

I get angry when I see that kind of behavior too.
Hi proheli,

I'm not going so far to say that the two fellows and their camera operator are bad people but I would say they could benefit by spending some time with a Girlyman like myself so that could learn and earn some humility.

What really rang my bell was that this is on a For Sale Fly Fishing video DVD. One that was part of the Fly Fishing Movie thing 5 years ago. Even counting the five year old production date I was still fishing those Western PA. streams while their parents were dating.

Any more I see the 'grip and grin' or the 'grip and look all serious' pictures as an extension of the male ego. Almost like a statement saying that the guy pointing the fish at the camera is a genetically superior fisherman. Perhaps the one in a million who got the 24th chromosome, that would be the hunter gatherer gene...………….

I did it and when I see one of those old photos I feel ashamed. I will offer the caveat' that most of my grip and grin salmon were dead when the photo was taken.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you Ard.They are too worried about their celebrity status to care about the future of fishing.Looking forward to your video also.
It's coming Steve, my production crew is on standby and they are ready to get it done! Of course I have to ask nicely because it's Nancy on the camera and Boss running security ;)

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I say you slap a GoPro on him for some b-roll
It's coming Steve, my production crew is on standby and they are ready to get it done! Of course I have to ask nicely because it's Nancy on the camera and Boss running security ;)
I totally get where you are coming from though.

Had a group of 15-20 kids fishing during a summer program trip to Taughammock Falls State Park. There was a small school (shoal?) of carp. Couldn't interest them in flies or worms, one of the kids pipes up and says I have a way of getting them. He proceeded to pull a huge x/0 treble and 1 ounce weight out of his tackle and I quickly put a stop to it and explained that snagging is illegal. His answer "my dad and uncle taught me..." sigh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a problem with people who call fish names like pig or hog or slob.
It's disrespectful to our partners in sport.
Any decent person would not refer to their life partner as such.
The same consideration should be extended to all our friends. Even fish.

proheli

Reaction score
Hi proheli,

I'm not going so far to say that the two fellows and their camera operator are bad people...
I didn’t think you were saying that, and I probably came across a little too harsh. I know I did needless damage to things myself when I was younger, but I still have strong feelings about it when I see it or hear about it. Go figure.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I say you slap a GoPro on him for some b-rollI
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
I've never thought about putting the Go Pro on Boss! He's been fishing with me for 13 years and all he does all day is stand close by watching me fish. I have one of those chest strap mounts and I'm pretty sure it will fit him. Probably too late because now he's going on 14 and spends most of the days laying on a sandbar...……

An hey Paul, you know I'm on board with you regarding the name thing. Yesterday I caught some salmon and I kept one. It was a large male Silver and since I witnessed a school of roughly 1300 swim past right after I ended him I was without guilt. With the lack of sockeye or Kings we have only taken 7 fish this whole year and six came from Nancy fishing in the salt water with her big salt outfit. She likes to go to the bays and found a woman she works with that likes it too. It's cool because she can go spend a couple days with a friend and they both fish hard.

I'm watching the numbers closely and figure to take at least 7 more males from various rivers during August but none will be pigs :)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The media is better quality now. This photo gives me nightmares. Leech Lake Musky slaughter, July 16-17 1955. There are 40# class fish and more 30s than I can count. The fish of 10,000 casts decided to commit suicide and man was right there to take hero shots. There are a number of other photos on the net with the fishing party behind the line of dead trophies. Nothing has really changed. :( Amazingly enough Leech Lake musky fishing isn't anything like this anymore, or anywhere else in the US.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife says tomorrow evening if it isn't pouring down rain, then there's me editing if we need it.

I'm pretty sure this will involve a 6' 3" graphite rod - a #5 weight forward line - one of my funky leaders and a size 6 Jock O' Dee for the fly. If not the Jock then one of my Nine Three patterns. Pretty much the same stuff I've written on the blog here about for years but done on a very tight stream where few traditional casts are possible.

I'll try to keep it as short as possible but then if I'm trying to explain something I'm not sure leaving 2/3's the info out for the sake of expediency is the best rout to take :)

mikechell

Reaction score
I know I'm going to tick off some people ... but until the site will let me actually sign off, I might as well comment on posts.
There is NO ... NO AMOUNT of sport fishing that is decimating any fish population. Even the video heroes aren't putting any dent in any fish species. Human populations polluting the waters and commercial fishing to feed the over populated planet are to blame for every decline in fish populations.
So, when I see some idiot killing a fish for a hero shot ... it doesn't bother me. Holding the fish up in freezing temperatures is going to freeze the gills and that will kill that fish. NONE of the eggs that fish had were ever going to live. But normal attrition might have killed that fish before it spawned anyway. Normal attrition might have killed off all it's offspring before they ever left the river. Sport fishing leaves a tiny impact.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on Mike, please don't kill the thread. I can't change the world so I thought I'd just complain about one insignificant thing I saw passed off as entertainment / educational regarding fly fishing.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Ard, I think that age & experiences also has some affect on how we view what others are doing. I know my opinions & views on such things have changed over the years. I was taught to respect the resources, but didn't in the same manner as I now do.

I don't care much for all the grip & grin pics or videos anyway, and rarely take pics myself. Not that I'm usually catching any fish that need to be documented or that I need to have that adulation from others. My fishing time is precious to me & taking pics is the last thing I think about.

In viewing a lot of what is posted on the various forums & social media that I frequent, there are things that bother me with what I see, but I rarely make any comment. I have commented, attempting to educate on how they might have done it better, or frankly, better for the fish, but most such comments fall on deaf ears.

As you know, it's a "ME" world now for too many folks, and that's all they care about.

Mike, you're point is likely very valid. I have no issue with someone killing a fish, when it's legal & they say they're taking them home to eat and certainly it happens otherwise, even with the best intentions. The only way to prevent us killing some even when practicing C & R is not to fish, and for me that's not going to happen! I think it's more about the total lack of respect for the resource and the blatant portrayal of such disregard on mass media that's frustrating to us. What many fail to realize is what they do, how they act & how they treat the resources has some affect on what others might do, and all done for a fleeting moment of self perceived heroics.

They could certainly help educate others with their pics & videos, but not being well educated themselves in proper fish handling or at least showing poor handling to the world, sets a bad example for folks who simply don't know any better. :(

corn fed fins

Reaction score
It's not just angling but any outdoor recreation that involves the catching or harvesting of animals. Many of the "pros" are no better than Johnny amateur down the road when it comes to thinking. I gave up on magazines a decade ago. They are nothing more than where to go fish, look at what "I" caught, and have been the demise of many fisheries. The YouTube self promoters are no different and looking for a chance to get their 1/2 hour infomercial. Yep. They also get paid by hits on their video, promoting every wannabe to go film. I have seen some outstanding video though so it's not ALL bad.

Want to make a difference? Don't buy the magazines. Don't watch the YouTube video. Get involved in a local club that educates youth. Mentor a kid. And when you see something you don't like, say something; silence defaults to approval.

If I had "respect" for an animal, I wouldn't go around hooking it in the mouth for fun or harvesting it for the dinner table. I reserve respect for my parents and others that have earned it. I do however admire animals for what they are. I work and speak for conservation and best practices so these animals are there for others to admire and use into the future.

Until Corn Fed Fins are diagnosed with emotional trauma from verbal abuse, descriptive vernacular results in zero damage compared to a hook in the mouth and being pulled through the water. Let's get real.

mikechell

Reaction score
I have a problem with people who call fish names like pig or hog or slob.
It's disrespectful to our partners in sport.
Any decent person would not refer to their life partner as such.
The same consideration should be extended to all our friends. Even fish.
Oh, I do hope you're being facetious with this comment, Rip. Is it really your concern that, while holding the fish out of water, the angler is also insulting the fish and hurting it's feelings?
I'll bet that fish goes back and has to see a therapist for months.

Ard ... I'm not trying to kill the thread. Not at all. But I do see a lot of hypocrisy in being upset at the way another angler treats the fish they catch ... and then promote "take a kid fishing". As has been stated above ... the only way we, as anglers, can reduce the stresses to fish, is to stop fishing. The second best thing we can do is to reduce the number of new anglers who will keep mistreating fish. Tell kids that fishing sucks, is terrible ... keep those little brats off the water !!!!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Obnoxious Comment Warning

We were out to dinner at a nice Italian restaurant with another couple last night. They are not outdoors's folk and semi-vegetarian on top of that but bright, fine people none-the-less. Appetizers for the table? How about the octopus s&s suggests. "Oh no, we don't eat octopus any more as it has been learned how intelligent(?) they are." Well, I said, "If you don't want to eat intelligent creatures, lets see if they offer human meat."

And Mike, while it is clearly true that pollution, acidification, habitat destruction, over commercial harvesting and on and on are the principal culprits of fish population decline-destruction, in some instances "sport" angling is a major contributor too. Note the East Coast stripped bass precipitous decline. OK, it is less fly fishers although some do take fish over the 28" size, it is more the Charter Boat fishers that can take two fish over that size and they are wire lining, bunker chunk targeting big cows down deep...and the boats often run two charters a day. The filleted carnage back at the marinas is ample evidence of our impact leaving aside the illegal but ongoing night time harvest destined for restaurant's back doors.