Tippet Rings

rusty 54

Reaction score
After reading the thread on expensive leaders, many of you advocate the use of tippet rings. Last spring, I ordered some tippet rings from a online discount fly company. When I tried to rig them up, I used clinch knots on both sides (leader and tippet) When I tested the knots, either the leader knot or the tippet would break. Knots were saliva lubed.

I assumed that the leader or tippet was rotten. I bought new leaders and tippet and the result was the same. When I tied on tippet with a surgeons knot, I was good to go.

I assume the discount company's ring were not smooth and were cutting the mono. Whadaya think? Faulty rings or faulty knot tying?

silver creek

Reaction score
If you have cotton balls or just some cotton from a Q-tip, pass it through the tippet rings and see if some of the fibers catch.

I personally have not had a problem with using tippet rings. I use the Orvis fly knot on both sides of the ring and to the fly.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
If you have cotton balls or just some cotton from a Q-tip, pass it through the tippet rings and see if some of the fibers catch.

I personally have not had a problem with using tippet rings. I use the Orvis fly knot on both sides of the ring and to the fly.

The above is very similar to what I use when I want my fly on a loop rather than a tight tie. Just run the standing part of the leader through the loop and tie off. The 'free swing' allows far more 'fly action than a solid knot.

fae

samanich

Reaction score
I've heard similar things about inexpensive tippet rings. I use Rio tippet rings and have not had that problem, and at $8 each from Big Y, they're really not that much more expensive than the "bargain" ones. I use clinch knots.

redietz

Reaction score
I've never had a problem using a clinch knot on tippet rings.

Just make sure that the tippet rings you're using are round in cross section, not flat like a washer.

eure

Reaction score
I assumed that the leader or tippet was rotten. I bought new leaders and tippet and the result was the same. When I tied on tippet with a surgeons knot, I was good to go.

I assume the discount company's ring were not smooth and were cutting the mono. Whadaya think? Faulty rings or faulty knot tying?
Considering you've only changed the knot from clinch to surgeons and the rings, leader and tippet remained the same then it's the knots fault. I've used rings from several different companies and have never had a problem but that probably because most companies are simply reselling a product that's not specially made for fly fishing rather than manufacturing the rings themselves.

I use a palomar knot to join the leader to the ring and when joining the tippet to the ring I use a trilene knot as it's easier to tie. I chose those knots because they're strong, reliable and I've been tying them years.

Last edited:

ratchet

Reaction score
I would first take a closer look at the rings themselves either by taking a good close-up photo or looking at them with a magnifying glass. There could be a burr present from the manufacturing process. The other thing you might notice is the wire used is not round in cross-section but oval. Oval wire could introduce a stress point that can weaken the line. Lastly, you might notice that the wire used is the wrong thickness for the size of line you are using.

The clinch knot is sensitive to these factors, plus the internal heat generated from friction when the knot is tightened. We can compensate by varying the number of turns to some degree. Before you give up on tippet rings, try another known brand.

planettrout

Reaction score
I have been using tippet tins since 2001 when I got my first package at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. They were from Climax and I still have a bunch as well as some from Anglers Image that come in small, medium and large sizes. Both are quality tippet rings and I have never experienced a breakage, cutting or failure problem:

I use a Uni-Knot ( Duncan Loop ) for almost all my connections:

PT/TB

Last edited:

brownbass

Reaction score
I read this thread earlier and decided that I needed to get crackin' on some leaders for later this week when I will finally get to actually go fishing. Tied on some rings and I am good to go.

Bill

rusty 54

Reaction score
Yes, I'll have to hunt up some better quality rings and try again. I've decided that I bought junk. Thanks for the help.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Many different tippet rings have come across my desk over the years. I can say, not all tippet rings are created equal...

The graphic below shows the most common issue. A flat ring will kink your tippet un-equally.... and the tippet fails.

When buying rings, make sure the cross section is round. Not like a washer.

Reactions: cjp

dennyk

Reaction score
Many different tippet rings have come across my desk over the years. I can say, not all tippet rings are created equal...

The graphic below shows the most common issue. A flat ring will kink your tippet un-equally.... and the tippet fails.

When buying rings, make sure the cross section is round. Not like a washer.

I'll be darn, just got my 20x printers loupe out and checked my Rio rings, these are flat. That explains why I haven't been using them.

Denny

pheldozer

Reaction score
i have yet to buy a pack of discount/bulk rings that aren't burred up garbage. unfortunately, you gotta pony up for the rio/anglers image options if you want quality or expect to use tippet lighter than 4x.

pheldozer

Reaction score
Hmmm..The Rio rings I bought were $9?

Denny
yeah. that's around what they go for. i wish i was the guy who figured out that we'd pay 9 bucks for 10x less metal than what goes into a single paperclip

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but it just blows my mind that people even use these things when a simple loop to loop connection between the leader and tippet is free, easier, more convenient, and works every bit as well if not better.

dennyk

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, these were burred as well. I have been using the standard connections that Rip Tide posted above.

Denny