Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Opterus R&D

Default Opterus R&D

http://opterusrd.com/wp-content/uplo...y_AI_May16.pdf

Here is an interesting article I ran across while googling flyrod R&D in hopes of finding some good info for the $1000 rod thread. The piece is about developing technology to match a flyline to a rod. For some people I know who don't like to open links, simply google the title of this thread. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this, it sounds promising, to me.
    Keep 'em wet!

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Opterus R&D

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    http://opterusrd.com/wp-content/uplo...y_AI_May16.pdf

Here is an interesting article I ran across while googling flyrod R&D in hopes of finding some good info for the $1000 rod thread. The piece is about developing technology to match a flyline to a rod. For some people I know who don't like to open links, simply google the title of this thread. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this, it sounds promising, to me.
    Dillon,

After reading the article, I agree that the company can put numbers against a fly rod and line. Folks who cast rods frequently already know this but the measuring equpement the company developed just confirms it.

When there is talk of overlining or true-to-weight lining a rod, the one point that is usually overlooked is the distance you are fishing at.

In the Igniter vs Method thread, this was exactly what one poster expressed. How much line do you have out? That effects the total line weight that the rod is dealing with . So using a heavy for it's size rating line on a rod is tuning it for the specific purpose (distance or fly weight) one is using the rod and line for.

I think the tools that this company developed just confirm and put on paper, what good casters have known for years.

Bob

The two Murphys, not related, had an interesting idea. At one time I had hopes of them working together at a rod company co-developing rods and lines as one is a long time innovator in the fly rod industry the other an aerospace scientist with major credentials. The sole output of their research, to the best of my knowledge, are the Winston Energy fly lines built by SA tuned to rods like BIIIx.

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Dillon

That was an interesting article, I sure hope they are successful!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    The two Murphys, not related, had an interesting idea. At one time I had hopes of them working together at a rod company co-developing rods and lines as one is a long time innovator in the fly rod industry the other an aerospace scientist with major credentials. The sole output of their research, to the best of my knowledge, are the Winston Energy fly lines built by SA tuned to rods like BIIIx.
    On second glance I noticed that the article is a couple years old. So it's not exactly breaking news... Do you know if they are still works nag on it?
    Keep 'em wet!

Quote Originally Posted by bob3700 View Post
    Dillon,

After reading the article, I agree that the company can put numbers against a fly rod and line. Folks who cast rods frequently already know this but the measuring equpement the company developed just confirms it.

When there is talk of overlining or true-to-weight lining a rod, the one point that is usually overlooked is the distance you are fishing at.

In the Igniter vs Method thread, this was exactly what one poster expressed. How much line do you have out? That effects the total line weight that the rod is dealing with . So using a heavy for it's size rating line on a rod is tuning it for the specific purpose (distance or fly weight) one is using the rod and line for.

I think the tools that this company developed just confirm and put on paper, what good casters have known for years.

Bob
    I agree, I rig my trout rods with different lines depending on many variables. I'm not always making technical presentations with small flies on windless days.
    Keep 'em wet!

This is why I prefer certain lines for different rods. When I go out to test a rod I'm interested in, I take my reel with the line I prefer for the type of rod I'm going to cast. I don't like all lines, and I have come to like Airflo the best followed by SA. I use Airflo Elite on moderate action rods, like the G2, and it works great on the T&T Aeros too. I already know what rods pretty much suit me and my style, so taking a fly line that I prefer and matching it with rods I like to me is a lot less stressful. Sure, not all moderate action rods feel exactly the same with the same line because not all moderate rods are built the same. And that helps me to choose what rod I like best with the line I choose to use, instead of buying tons of different lines trying to find the best match for that one rod I'm trying to line up. I simply can't afford that. But test casting rods at the fly shop is free.

I know that the sales person at the shop is very knowledgeable on what lines work with what rods, and their pick of lines work too, but it's just a preference thing to me. Kind of that whole GM, Ford, Dodge thing. So if you prefer Rio Gold or SA Mastery Trout or whatever line you have grown to like, find a rod that matches the line instead of a line that matches the rod.

That's what T&T did with the Aeros. They took SA Mastery Trout fly line and built a rod around that. I think it's flippin' brilliant if you ask me, because all the guess work is already done for you.

You can now belittle my opinion.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

10. Likes el jefe liked this post

I won't belittle your opinion, but I hope you are referring to a particular shop salesman that you know and trust, because from my experience many lack knowledge and experience with all the lines they have for sale or may have biases. Your precedure of test casting with your own reels and lines is great. But, perhaps one is buying a rod at a new line weight for them so they can't do that. They might be better off doing their own research than taking the shop employees word for it. The research might start on this forum as it has many times...
    Keep 'em wet!

12. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

The Opterus partnership was regrettably short lived despite its promise. But the concept of an empirically correct line for a given rod remains a goal of many but objectivity in the face of differing habitats and "personal style" render it a moving target. Almost all rods are developed around specific fly lines and most rod companies will reveal what they used but not publish it.

14. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

Dillon,

That is why I took my 7 wt Method to the fly shop. Sage/RIO was there having a casting day with their new rods and all of their lines. The Sage/RIO reps have a really good idea of how each line is built, head length and weight, and were more than willing to switch lines and let me immediately compare one to another. You could cast lines as fast as you can switch reels and rig your rod.

You could really see/feel the difference (the way the leaders turned over and how they battled the wind) between RIO Gold and Grand on the same rod. Then put Perception on. This line is a taper/weight blend of both Grand and Gold so that the line provides better distance with a gentler presentation. Was looking for Preception to be an excellent compromise winner, it was not.

I thought the Gold was the better casting line for what I was looking to do. Which was fish a dry dropper or nymph under an indicator. It turns over the leader with the fly impacting the water in a manner that should not spook the fish.

The Grand would be a great line for big high drag streamers or bass poppers. It turns the leader over with authority and does make an impact on the water, but not one that would be an issue when bass fishing. The rod was an impressive cannon in the wind with that line.

So while I agree that you can match a line to a rod, you also have to consider the application. Short gentle presentations, or long casts in the wind, each will probably be best with a particular line on the rod.