How many keep a rod stashed away in your vehicle ?

callihan_44

Reaction score
For a spur of the moment trip?

I pass over a few rivers on the commute home from work and occasional wet some line with an old vxp beater rod and of course it's a backup in case i break something.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I try to but heard that it's not very good for the line. I currently only have one rod and it's been super hot lately so I took my rod out of my car. Maybe once I get another rod I'll keep one in my car.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Behind the seat of my truck there's a Berkley Parametric 6wt with an Olympic (medalist knockoff) reel
As it's not exactly a high end rig, I don't worry about it and it stays where it is, all strung up and ready to go except in the dead of winter.

flntknp17

Reaction score

I keep a rod in the car at all times. I cross two good smallmouth rivers between work and home each day and a couple times a week I stop for a few minutes as schedules allow. Sometimes I fish on my lunch break. The picture is the Des Moines River less than a mile from my cubicle ��

Matt

dennyk

Reaction score
I've got another Redington single rod/reel case on order for the back seat of my truck. I plan on keeping a St. Croix Imperial rod and a Lamson reel in it for emergency situations. :)

Denny

desmobob

Reaction score
When you can pick up a fiberglass Eagle Claw Featherlight for about $25, there is no reason NOT to have at least one rod in the car. My car always has a 4wt, 6wt and 8wt on board (plus waders, etc.).

A word of warning though: casting one of the old-school fiberglass rods may lead you to purchasing other, more expensive, fiberglass rods...

Tight lines,
Bob

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I try to but heard that it's not very good for the line. I currently only have one rod and it's been super hot lately so I took my rod out of my car. Maybe once I get another rod I'll keep one in my car.
That occurred to me the other day when the weatherman predicted record heat, so before going to work I took the rod out of my car and leaned it against a bicycle in my garage. It ended up lying on the floor (I blame the cats) where later that day my daughter ran over it. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

redietz

Reaction score
I keep a junk rod and reel in the car at all times, just in case I forget one or the other when I go out. I end up using one or the other about once a year.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Storing an outfit in your vehicle is not an Rx for line and leader longevity...it is valuable though to take advantage of an unanticipated opportunity, otherwise just wishful thinking.

lacivic99

Reaction score
I dont want to mislead you, but I've been keeping a rod in my car through the Florida summer, and I haven't noticed any effect on the line. I think you're good.

Also, I always keep my short 7wt in the car, along with a small spinning rod for those really tight spots. It's paid off too many times to count!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I dont want to mislead you, but I've been keeping a rod in my car through the Florida summer, and I haven't noticed any effect on the line. I think you're good.

Also, I always keep my short 7wt in the car, along with a small spinning rod for those really tight spots. It's paid off too many times to count!
I travel to SE Florida periodically to visit an aged family member, and will again soon. Though I have not angling plans during this upcoming visit, I will nevertheless, bring a brace of 4-pc. 9-weights with us to keep in our rental car to perhaps ply a lake or canal with. If you don't have a rod in your vehicle, you can't take a cast.

For those who are correctly concerned about ill effects of high temperature on their line, etc., I don't recommend stowing your favorite outfit in the car. As discussed in the other tread on this topic below under Rods, I have second tier, back-up type tackle living in the hold in the Honda with inexpensive RIO Avid lines (which, so far, have survived).

1fish

Reaction score
I spend spring, summer, and fall in Montana, so I almost always have at least one rod in my vehicle, rigged ready to go. Also have a waist pack with tackle, and usually boots and waders. I mostly park the vehicle in the garage when at home, or at least in the shade with the windows cracked a couple of inches.

In the winter when I'm not in Montana, I usually don't have a rigged rod in the vehicle.

Jcalla4

Reaction score
I keep an old cabelas 3 forks 8w my dad gave me tied up ready to go with an olive wolly bugger in the back seat of my truck at all times. I like to be able to pit stop at a little park with a pond sometimes after a stressful day of work.

lacivic99

Reaction score
I spend spring, summer, and fall in Montana, so I almost always have at least one rod in my vehicle, rigged ready to go. Also have a waist pack with tackle, and usually boots and waders. I mostly park the vehicle in the garage when at home, or at least in the shade with the windows cracked a couple of inches.

In the winter when I'm not in Montana, I usually don't have a rigged rod in the vehicle.
+1 for the fanny pack. Got a little one with tippet, forceps, nippers, a key to my car, and a couple flies.

smokeeater2

Reaction score
I've been giving some serious thought to picking up an inexpensive rod,reel and line as a dedicated truck rig. I live 6 miles from the White river and I'm close to Lake Norfork and Bull Shoals and the Buffalo river so I would have the opportunity to use one fairly often.

The summer heat here in Arkansas has always made me nervous about keeping one of my pet rods in the truck and I've missed several chances to fish because my rods were home enjoying the air conditioning. :icon_sad:

Maybe one of the cheap beginner sets that Wally world and Amazon sells would work?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never done this and have been driving since 1971. Fishing has always been something I either do or I don't do. When I say "do" I mean I go fishing and when I go fishing there has never been an end time set, I finish fishing when I'm done. I'm just not the type who could get any enjoyment from a 45 minute fishing trip. I'm more of a 14 - 16 hour type personality when it comes to fishing.

Do yourself a favor, never tell anyone when you'll get home when you leave to go fishing.

Last edited: