Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
  1. Default Advice for a UK visitor

September next year I'll celebrate my 40th birthday and would like some recommendations on locations where I could possibly get a day or two targeting*some bass and maybe Albacore.

Trip would be with my wife (non fisher) so somewhere with some sightseeing opportunities and some nice restaurants would be cool.
    New York, Rhode Island, Boston? Only places I've really heard about are Marthas Vineyard, Cape Cod and Long Island.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
    Daniel*
    Last edited by Daniel; 08-09-2018 at 03:30 PM.

2. Likes k_e_v liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice for a UK visitor

Welcome, Daniel. I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure there will be someone along who can.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

4. Likes k_e_v liked this post

Welcome Daniel. Bass covers quite a diverse geographical area. Basically from east coast to west coast and from the gulf coast to the Canadian border and all points in-between. Small mouth? Large mouth? Spotted Bass? Also, I have to ask since you're from the other side of the big pond, are you referring to our freshwater species of bass? I think where you're from they call a large saltwater fish a bass which is what we call on this side a cod or grouper. This changes things completely. Reason I'm asking is you're also inquiring about albacore. I can give you a tip on that. For albacore you need to go west. Lots of charters out of California for albacore in the Pacific. Of bass (cod or grouper) east or west coast.

As far as sights, I won't be much help on the east coast. Mostly hang out in the middle inland US.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

If you are talking large mouth bass and albacore ( we call them bonita), then Palm Beach Fl. is where you want to go. September is Prime time just off shore, figure $450 for a guide and and plenty of bass in any number of canals. For the wife plenty of beach, food and shopping.

7. Default Re: Advice for a UK visitor

Where will you and non-fishing wife be located in USA and are you interested in only fly fishing?

In September, the striped bass are following the "young of the year" baits that are just emerging from estuaries and staging near points all through NewEngland.
    But albis for the most part are confined to the southern shore of NewEngland.
    Vineyard Sound, The Islands, and Buzzard's Bay Mass. Newport and SouthCounty RI, and eastern CT.
    They're "inshore" so even with a kayak you can fish for them without a guide, but they have travel patterns and it's not easy to figure out.

I know a good guide in RhodeIsland but personally, I'd rather fish the Cape
    The scenery alone makes it worth going there rather than somewhere else. Just be sure that you make it out further than the "elbow"
    (Newport RI is nice too.)

uksaltwaterflies.com used to run chartered flyfishing tours from the UK to CapeCod
    Not anylonger, but maybe you could pick their brains

Oh, and when you say "bass" most people here in the US are going to think of freshwater black bass.
    Large mouth and small mouth.
    Not striped bass or the sea bass like you have in northern Europe

Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-09-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes camelbrass liked this post
  10. Default Re: Advice for a UK visitor

Sorry guys, And thanks for the advice so far. I meant striped bass, probably should have included that in the first post. Forgot you guys have multiple species of bass over there.

Rhode Island would be a good choice; striped bass as well as freshwater fishing. There are other kinds of "bass," such as black sea bass (a member of the grouper family), but I don't think they are easily caught on a fly (though some people do it); we use bait and catch those for dinner. And for the non-fishing sightseeing and restaurants etc,, Providence has made a huge renaissance since I lived there long ago; if you have a car Boston is an easy day trip, NYC for a weekend is also easy. You could stay at a B+B in Newport and enjoy the sightseeing and great restaurants (shopping, too, if you are into that). On the other hand, you can get a cheap nonstop flight from Heathrow to NYC (JFK) and drive out to Long island: some people think Montauk Point is the world's best place for striper fishing (though denizens of the Cape may disagree).

PS - make sure not to drive on the wrong side of the road!

12. Default Re: Advice for a UK visitor

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'll do some research on the areas you've mentioned with regard to flights and accommodation and try and settle on something.

The sightseeing requirement is not huge, as I'm guessing we'll only have 4 or 5 days available (leaving the kids back home)! A bigger priority for us is somewhere reasonably nice to stay and some decent food in the evenings. Plus 2 days of crazy non stop striper fishing of course

September might be too early to catch the striper run at Montauk.
    During prime time, every bass that's not headed to the Hudson has to pass by there, but that's later in the season and there's thousands (millions?) of NewYorkers that know about it. But that doesn't happen in September.
    Statistically, if you want to catch a big striped bass, Massachusetts is the place to do it
    READ THIS
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart